Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
Yeah, I'm not geotagging everywhere I go and sharing locations either.
If that offends someone... That's on them.

There's a difference between sharing a love of the outdoors and telling everyone about your favourite spot(s).

I spend a fair bit of blood, sweat, tears, and yes money... To get to a spot nobody else is at.

I can't believe everyone here does NOT share that same goal to a certain extent at the very least.

So if everyone would quit finding things to be offended at, that'd be great.
Your right and they're right, all for good reasons. I cant believe a lot of things I read here about opinions people have, but everyone is entitled to their opinion. Some I wish people would keep to themself. I could care less about places other people go, I can find my own places and I won't be posting pictures. In fact I won't even have the means to make or post pictures.

Reactions: sabjku

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines

There's a difference between sharing a love of the outdoors and telling everyone about your favourite spot(s).

I spend a fair bit of blood, sweat, tears, and yes money... To get to a spot nobody else is at.

I can't believe everyone here does NOT share that same goal to a certain extent at the very least.

There's a VERY easy fix for that. Instead of posting pictures of a camp area and bragging how great it is and then sitting back and waiting for someone to ask about it so you can get offended that they want to know your "special" place, just put it out there ahead of time that you are "special", you have "special places" and that you are posting pictures, BUT nobody is allowed to ask about them. That way everyone is on the same page.

Last edited:
Reactions: sabjku and Boucher

Rchr

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Brownsville, Texas
First Name
Javier
Last Name
Escobedo
Member #

All the other stuff in this thread about what people spend? Who cares? It's not your money. Worry about your own wallet. Personally, I don't spend much. My rig has been the same since 2010 (engine notwithstanding *cough*), but that doesn't mean I begrudge the guy who decides to spend 80 grand. Why would I? You can overland for $100 or $1MM. Is overlanding expensive? Yeah. If you want it to be.

M
[/QUOTE]

True! Very true.

Rchr

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Brownsville, Texas
First Name
Javier
Last Name
Escobedo
Member #

As for not wanting to share places, well thats part of the Overlanding we all want to go and see beautiful places too but don't forget that part of the fun is going out, seeking and "discovering it". I hunt and fish, so I understand (or maybe I'm just used to it) people not wanting to share their "Honeyhole" so I don't dare ask where that is, unless the person showing it volunteers the info, then I will ask, politely. I can respect a persons silence; sometimes it is justified. For the most part people don't want to share it because they don't want that little slice of heaven to become a county playground for everyone and just get ruined, unfortunately I've witnessed that.

As far as equipment selling for high prices, yea I see it. Those prices seem elitist but if someone is able to pay for the asking price, who am I to say no, don't do it. If you like a product buy it, if you can't afford it but still want it, save up for it. If you still want that product but can't or don't want to spend the money then make it yourself, maybe you will see a justification for the cost, maybe you have the skills to do it, maybe you can even make it better. Or maybe just get the satisfaction of making something with your own hands and get the feeling of accomplishment for making something with our own hands and skill. We want a lot of things, when we see all these nice new products we are like kids in a toy store. Somebody had to come up with it, develop and market it. But I have also seen things that make you go "Thats crazy! I can make that and save $XXX". This is also an often overlooked perk of Overlanding, making it yourself! DIY!!! Part of the adventure is prepping for it.

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wernersville Public Library, North Reber Street, Wernersville, PA, USA
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
I've done all that.... a few times. For the past 5 years I've been returning my TJR to stock.... except for 33s and the AEV HighLine. But no lift, stock shocks, stock springs, stock engine..... I actually found taking out the lift increased the capability, stability. Spend your $$$$ on refrigeration, solar, communication. Jeeps and Toyotas, the Colorado and Ranger are incredible off the showroom floor.

I've always liked passing a BMW in a Cortina..... Be the "underdog" you will never be embarrassed. And accept branches sideswiping yer car as scars of honour. Nothing is worse than a 4 wheeler trying to keep his $80K investment looking like a trailer queen.
Yup,, just led a group recently and a dude was having a fit because of a bit of scratching on his 70k plus investment. I kinda felt bad for him spending all that money and not really knowing what he was in for.. in spite of it all I hope he did have some fun.. otherwise a lot of really cool gear will be on the used market very soon

Reactions: Road

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
As for not wanting to share places, well thats part of the Overlanding we all want to go and see beautiful places too but don't forget that part of the fun is going out, seeking and "discovering it". I hunt and fish, so I understand (or maybe I'm just used to it) people not wanting to share their "Honeyhole" so I don't dare ask where that is, unless the person showing it volunteers the info, then I will ask, politely. I can respect a persons silence; sometimes it is justified. For the most part people don't want to share it because they don't want that little slice of heaven to become a county playground for everyone and just get ruined, unfortunately I've witnessed that.

As far as equipment selling for high prices, yea I see it. Those prices seem elitist but if someone is able to pay for the asking price, who am I to say no, don't do it. If you like a product buy it, if you can't afford it but still want it, save up for it. If you still want that product but can't or don't want to spend the money then make it yourself, maybe you will see a justification for the cost, maybe you have the skills to do it, maybe you can even make it better. Or maybe just get the satisfaction of making something with your own hands and get the feeling of accomplishment for making something with our own hands and skill. We want a lot of things, when we see all these nice new products we are like kids in a toy store. Somebody had to come up with it, develop and market it. But I have also seen things that make you go "Thats crazy! I can make that and save $XXX". This is also an often overlooked perk of Overlanding, making it yourself! DIY!!! Part of the adventure is prepping for it.
I completely agree, I’ve just finished cobbling together a hot water shower system, I’ve built my own trailer, my own drawer systems in the Cruzer and trailer and it has taken me 20 years to get things where they are, which is good.
I was approached a few years ago to be a trail writer/mapper for an up and coming website.. I soon realized what it was all about and unceremoniously dropped out.. for a subscription fee a driver could down load point to point journeys including waypoints and very detailed directions. What fun is there in that? None. There is no point in going out and about in the lower 48 with those sort of specific directions. Not fun, not cool. Boring boring boring.. so yea, I agree with your premise,, get out and explore, get misplaced, and find your own way.. if that makes me an elitist then so be it..

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

I completely agree, I’ve just finished cobbling together a hot water shower system, I’ve built my own trailer, my own drawer systems in the Cruzer and trailer and it has taken me 20 years to get things where they are, which is good.
I was approached a few years ago to be a trail writer/mapper for an up and coming website.. I soon realized what it was all about and unceremoniously dropped out.. for a subscription fee a driver could down load point to point journeys including waypoints and very detailed directions. What fun is there in that? None. There is no point in going out and about in the lower 48 with those sort of specific directions. Not fun, not cool. Boring boring boring.. so yea, I agree with your premise,, get out and explore, get misplaced, and find your own way.. if that makes me an elitist then so be it..

Two thumbs up!

As I wrote in my previous, it is one thing to share a spot with a friend or small group. It's another thing entirely to broadcast it to thousands, potentially tens of thousands for ages to come via social media or adventure sites like this one or any other.

If someone asks me about a spot where I took an image, or that I posted about online, I have no problem sharing the info if I know the person is a good, conscientious, camper. My gauge for that is "Would I want to camp with this person for more than a night or two?" Just because you're a member of one adventure site or another doesn't mean you're a responsible camper. But I'll share the info privately, not post it on open forums, and probably not in any great detail.

I had someone I'd never interacted with, knew nothing about, and had no idea if he was a considerate camper or not ask about a photo I posted once who simply wrote "Coordinates?" No, "Hey, cool image, I'm a photographer too, would you mind sharing where that was? Here's my work____ ", just "Coordinates?"

That's like someone I've never met or know nothing about coming up to me in a restaurant and saying "Girlfriend's Number?"

Not happening.

Last edited:

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

Absolutely. you geotag it and no one goes for the adventure. The joy of overlanding is cresting a hill and going WOW.
Not driving to a destination and missing everything on route.

If that offends someone I say they can stay home.

But I love photos with a WOW look at this view from Selkirk, MB
And then I might go try to find that view.

7001368748_bb6cdf8f1a_b.jpg

Last edited:

Anak

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Sandy Eggo
If you step back away from the trees and take a look at the forest, overlanding has been elite ever since the Turtle Expedition and that other site.

This site has a lot to do with not being so elitist.

What has really happened to overlanding is that it has gone mainstream. And that has a lot to do with why some folks are so reluctant to share GPS coordinates. Given time I fully expect this to pass and be replaced by some other popular trend, resulting in some great deals on used equipment and rigs.

Reactions: MOAK

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
If you step back away from the trees and take a look at the forest, overlanding has been elite ever since the Turtle Expedition and that other site.

This site has a lot to do with not being so elitist.

What has really happened to overlanding is that it has gone mainstream. And that has a lot to do with why some folks are so reluctant to share GPS coordinates. Given time I fully expect this to pass and be replaced by some other popular trend, resulting in some great deals on used equipment and rigs.
That was campfire talk at a small group tour I led 2 weeks ago.. it is a fad, there will be a ton of really good used gear on the market very soon..

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

Given time I fully expect this to pass and be replaced by some other popular trend, resulting in some great deals on used equipment and rigs.
That was campfire talk at a small group tour I led 2 weeks ago.. it is a fad, there will be a ton of really good used gear on the market very soon..
As I wrote earlier in this thread, there's a ton of stuff out there that can be had for far less than it cost new, from folks who geared themselves up more for the cool look, Overland Bling I call it, then learned they--or their partner in a lot of cases--don't really like being outdoors or living out of a vehicle as much as they thought they would, or have moved on to another hobby.

I bought my hardshell rooftop tent and an OZTent RV-5, both used, almost two years ago for wayyyy less than new and both were in like-new condition, and both from folks who bought it then realized they didn't really need it or that they wanted something else more. I have other assorted small stuff bought used from someone who rarely or never used it. There will be more barely-used gear out there for sale, I'm sure.

I've done the same thing, to be honest; bought some stuff because I thought I needed it, when what it really was is that I wanted it, not needed it.

Anyone want to buy a murder spork?

Last edited:
Reactions: MOAK

AnywhereInTX

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Huntsville, AL, USA
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
C
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS: WRDP535
I hope more people keep exploring the outdoors. I wish they become more conscious of the places they chose the visit. Public land belongs to us all to preserve...not an entitled few who seek to exclude others. People ask for coordinates, I simply give them generalized areas and encourage them to find their own spot.

Dilldog

Rank V
Launch Member
Investor

Influencer I

Spokane, WA.
First Name
Dillon
Last Name
Wilke
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LVO/ WRQL275
Service Branch
USAF
'79 chevy luv
my first car wich was a 1980 LUV is what got me going. I LOVE old school Isuzus...
Bottom line in everything there will always be what appears to be an elitist element. Sometimes it is legit people doing things to show off, more often its people who simply have the money through hard work to finally get what they want. Just keep getting out and doing what you like, nothing else really matters that much. But I will say I can sympathize with feeling "outclassed". Right now Im limited to day trips as I havent even had the extra funds to buy basic camping gear. So youre a step above me!