First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
4wd would be cool cause then I could get a little deeper in the woods
Exactly, and that is probably the majority of the sentiment of those who have the bigger and more modified vehicles, not to be "elite", but to get further away from civilization. Speaking solely for myself, I feel like a trapped rat. I grew up in west Texas on a 200 acre farm. I rode my dirt bike around there and got bored quickly...I really couldn't ride anywhere because most of Texas is private land. Desolate land for miles and not a soul in sight, but it is all fenced off and nobody is allowed on it. Then I'm in south Louisiana in the swamps. Hot nasty swamp for miles and miles and most of it is private property and posted. I can boat in the water ways, but that's it. Pretty much everywhere I go, somebody owns it and doesn't want anyone on it. That goes for just about everywhere. I'm sure that is the lure for offroading and getting out in the extreme wilderness... just to taste the ability of getting out and doing something without trespassing and getting in trouble. I live "out in the country" so to speak, but even at that, if I had a 4-wheeler right now, the only hope of me riding it would be to head out to places in Utah or somewhere that isn't private property. It seems like about the only places to go and do stuff like 4-wheeling is to go to land that is harsh enough to not be viable for anything.

JoelIII

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Camp Lejeune, NC
First Name
Joel
Last Name
Wasson
Member #

Exactly, and that is probably the majority of the sentiment of those who have the bigger and more modified vehicles, not to be "elite", but to get further away from civilization. Speaking solely for myself, I feel like a trapped rat. I grew up in west Texas on a 200 acre farm. I rode my dirt bike around there and got bored quickly...I really couldn't ride anywhere because most of Texas is private land. Desolate land for miles and not a soul in sight, but it is all fenced off and nobody is allowed on it. Then I'm in south Louisiana in the swamps. Hot nasty swamp for miles and miles and most of it is private property and posted. I can boat in the water ways, but that's it. Pretty much everywhere I go, somebody owns it and doesn't want anyone on it. That goes for just about everywhere. I'm sure that is the lure for offroading and getting out in the extreme wilderness... just to taste the ability of getting out and doing something without trespassing and getting in trouble. I live "out in the country" so to speak, but even at that, if I had a 4-wheeler right now, the only hope of me riding it would be to head out to places in Utah or somewhere that isn't private property. It seems like about the only places to go and do stuff like 4-wheeling is to go to land that is harsh enough to not be viable for anything.
One thing I've noticed out here in NC is similar to what you mention of all the gated off property, even service roads. While visiting family in CO growing up, my brother in law would take us camping and usually the only way to get up most of the mountains in a vehicle was using the logging trails. The only trails that would be gated off would be for active areas that where being worked, or spots that had been deemed too dangerous for folks to ride down and the company didn't want to be held responsible for injury or damages. Aside from that you could go just about everywhere as long as your vehicle would make it. In this part of NC that I'm at now, their are few areas not gated off or posted as no trespassing to just go exploring which sucks! I'm assuming a big reason for that is due to so many folks over the decades going down the trails and tearing up roads making it harder for the service equipment to access. This is understandable but still sucks!

yj4roks

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Fallbrook, CA, USA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Chase
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6FWD
If there's a will, there's a way. I want the best of the best but can't afford that. I find ways to get the stuff I need. I've owned my Jeep Wrangler for almost 30 years and everything on it was not built by the big guys. Instead of buying a bumper, I went with a welding machine and have been learning to use it. Is my stuff as "pretty" as something from a fab shop? no...but I can say it built it. In the last few years I have gotten hooked on the Overland movement and love it too (more so now that I am getting older). I still have my Jeep but Overland a Dodge 2500 truck (stock). With the tools in my garage (nothing fancy) I built my own camper. Yes I bought bumpers...but...they are DIY kits that were a fraction of the cost of going down to the bolt on shop. If I want something, I go to Home Depot and buy materials and make it. 20 years ago I could barely turn a wrench. Learn from the web, friends, other folks on these forums. My latest build...a interior rack to hold my frig (which I bought used). The metal materials were all free....all that angle iron that people throw away from bed frames? That's all good material and it's already powder coated! I am just trying to say, it's not just about the trip...it's about getting to that point. I enjoy learning to do this stuff, especially since I sit at a desk during the week. Part two of learning to make the stuff yourself...if something goes wrong on the trail, you at least know how it was put together and maybe can field fix it. Until the day comes that I can buy an Earthroamer (haha) I will have to beg, cheat, steal and borrow to participate in this expensive hobby...but I will find a way no matter what!

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

If there's a will, there's a way. I want the best of the best but can't afford that. I find ways to get the stuff I need. I've owned my Jeep Wrangler for almost 30 years and everything on it was not built by the big guys. Instead of buying a bumper, I went with a welding machine and have been learning to use it. Is my stuff as "pretty" as something from a fab shop? no...but I can say it built it. In the last few years I have gotten hooked on the Overland movement and love it too (more so now that I am getting older). I still have my Jeep but Overland a Dodge 2500 truck (stock). With the tools in my garage (nothing fancy) I built my own camper. Yes I bought bumpers...but...they are DIY kits that were a fraction of the cost of going down to the bolt on shop. If I want something, I go to Home Depot and buy materials and make it. 20 years ago I could barely turn a wrench. Learn from the web, friends, other folks on these forums. My latest build...a interior rack to hold my frig (which I bought used). The metal materials were all free....all that angle iron that people throw away from bed frames? That's all good material and it's already powder coated! I am just trying to say, it's not just about the trip...it's about getting to that point. I enjoy learning to do this stuff, especially since I sit at a desk during the week. Part two of learning to make the stuff yourself...if something goes wrong on the trail, you at least know how it was put together and maybe can field fix it. Until the day comes that I can buy an Earthroamer (haha) I will have to beg, cheat, steal and borrow to participate in this expensive hobby...but I will find a way no matter what!
Good for you, man. Sounds like you've taught yourself a lot of valuable skills, including the value of DIY. You're absolutely right, knowing how it all went together makes it easier to deal with on the road should something go awry.

There's a ton of stuff out there that can be had for far less than it cost new, both parts and whole items, from folks who geared themselves up more for the look, then learned they--or their partner in a lot of cases--don't really like being outdoors or living out of a vehicle as much as they thought they would.

I've used everything from a VW Beetle to pick-ups, station wagons, and a '69 Chevy Carryall Suburban to go on extended adventures. After literally decades of travel like that, and could finally afford a bit more, I chose to put it into pieces for a good trailer and basecamp rig but still drive the same diesel cargo van I've had over eight years.

Good luck out here, man, hope to run across you on the road someday.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
Very admirable my fellow struggling OB friend. Who knows how many busted knuckle guys are out here and know exactly what you are talking about. I'm not knocking the guys who buy it and have someone else do the work, that may be the only way they can do it for one reason or another, mostly time and or lack of ability I would imagine. I've found that most of the guys here on OB forum have far more ability than I do and I'm no slob. The best thing is that they are willing to help you with what they can and if they find someone broken down they will take the time to give them a hand even sacrificing their holiday you get you on your path again. United we stand, divided we fall is about all I can say about elitism.
Lanlubber

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

Oh man ,i spend 43 now iam an elitist,is that good or bad?

First you have to wait for the Elite Formula Committee to vote if you'll be accepted. It's not automatic.

Then, when you think it's settled, they will vote again to determine if it's good or bad for you.

Might take a while, though, 'cause they have a hard time deciding which formula to use and bicker a lot. That, and they're kinda busy hanging shit on their rigs.

Last edited:

yj4roks

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Fallbrook, CA, USA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Chase
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6FWD
Good for you, man. Sounds like you've taught yourself a lot of valuable skills, including the value of DIY. You're absolutely right, knowing how it all went together makes it easier to deal with on the road should something go awry.

There's a ton of stuff out there that can be had for far less than it cost new, both parts and whole items, from folks who geared themselves up more for the look, then learned they--or their partner in a lot of cases--don't really like being outdoors or living out of a vehicle as much as they thought they would.

I've used everything from a VW Beetle to pick-ups, station wagons, and a '69 Chevy Carryall Suburban to go on extended adventures. After literally decades of travel like that, and could finally afford a bit more, I chose to put it into pieces for a good trailer and basecamp rig but still drive the same diesel cargo van I've had over eight years.

Good luck out here, man, hope to run across you on the road someday.
Thank you! Sounds like we have been down similar paths!

yj4roks

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Fallbrook, CA, USA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Chase
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6FWD
Very admirable my fellow struggling OB friend. Who knows how many busted knuckle guys are out here and know exactly what you are talking about. I'm not knocking the guys who buy it and have someone else do the work, that may be the only way they can do it for one reason or another, mostly time and or lack of ability I would imagine. I've found that most of the guys here on OB forum have far more ability than I do and I'm no slob. The best thing is that they are willing to help you with what they can and if they find someone broken down they will take the time to give them a hand even sacrificing their holiday you get you on your path again. United we stand, divided we fall is about all I can say about elitism.
Lanlubber
Thank you! Yeah I wasn't trying to knock anyone either...just mirroring your text that there's something to be said about the guys willing to get dirty to play this sport! Happy trails!

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Thank you! Yeah I wasn't trying to knock anyone either...just mirroring your text that there's something to be said about the guys willing to get dirty to play this sport! Happy trails!
They are the sport. One of the neatest rigs I can remember seeing was a 54 ford that had the body removed, all except the windshield and firewall portion. He cut the frame behind the drivers seat and cut out a section of the frame about 24" and welded it back together making it an 85" (18" drive shaft that he also cut and shortened himself) wheel base. He cut the frame behind the rear leaf spring and turned it upward about 12". He then built a roll cage from used pipe he got from the salvage yard where he traded the scrap iron from the car for the pipe. He tied the cage to the windshield post frame, and from the top of Rollbar to the frame section at the rear and formed a mini bed behind the front seat with some small angle iron tied to the rear frame section he had cut and turned upward. He wrapped sheet metal from the old roof around the back section to form a mini bed and his spare was affixed to the roll cage rear bars. He opened the diff. and welded the 410's planetary gears (spider gears) together to make it a totally locked rear end.
I met him playing in the desert one day years ago and he took that thing in places my bronco wouldn't go. I doubt it weighed 1500 pounds, had big mud tires on split and widened 12" rims he made himself by using the rear end on his car as a lathe to cut two old rims in half and welded the widest part of each rim back together. He cut the rims with a hack saw as they turned on the rear end of his car with the car jacked up and motor running. It had a stock 292 Ford V8 with an RV cam, home made headers and a four barrel carb. The car was free from a friend who wanted to get rid of the rusty hulk in his back yard. The old car had about 85,000 miles on it which in those days was considered worn out.
Anyway, that's how we do it when all we have is Little talent , lots of imagination and no money. What he did can be done with any old car or truck. To add to all that was the fact that the car was titled and licensed as a home made rig.

Reactions: grubworm

hidesertwheelin

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Influencer II

High Desert, So Cal
Member #

A couple of months ago, I made the decision to just stop following "content creators" on social media. I went to a meet & greet in So Cal, and was so disgusted with the elitist attitudes and straight doucheiness of most of the instabros there, that I had enough. The only people on youtube I follow now are people who live on the road full time, or are from Australia. All you ever hear about from the instabro crowd is their sponsors...... it's become stupid. I really hope the attraction ends....

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
A couple of months ago, I made the decision to just stop following "content creators" on social media. I went to a meet & greet in So Cal, and was so disgusted with the elitist attitudes and straight doucheiness of most of the instabros there, that I had enough. The only people on youtube I follow now are people who live on the road full time, or are from Australia. All you ever hear about from the instabro crowd is their sponsors...... it's become stupid. I really hope the attraction ends....
Hope you continue to follow OB forums. We can all benefit from someone with your road experience. I like the Aussies to ,but I don't live there and cant mingle so to speak. They have products that we don't have but are too expensive when you consider shipping expenses. Still they have good ideas because they live the adventure more on a one on one basis. Follow us and give us your ideas that we can toss around respectfully among like minded people.
Lanlubber

Reactions: grubworm

hidesertwheelin

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Influencer II

High Desert, So Cal
Member #

Hope you continue to follow OB forums. We can all benefit from someone with your road experience. I like the Aussies to ,but I don't live there and cant mingle so to speak. They have products that we don't have but are too expensive when you consider shipping expenses. Still they have good ideas because they live the adventure more on a one on one basis. Follow us and give us your ideas that we can toss around respectfully among like minded people.
Lanlubber
I'm not talking about forums. I mean the whole instagram, facebook, youtube crowd. People who shove their "sponsors" products in your face, but pretending they are out using them. On forums, I just block those type of people, just like I don't follow them on other social media. I still use social media, I just don't follow people who are fake as F......

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
I'm not talking about forums. I mean the whole instagram, facebook, youtube crowd. People who shove their "sponsors" products in your face, but pretending they are out using them. On forums, I just block those type of people, just like I don't follow them on other social media. I still use social media, I just don't follow people who are fake as F......
I don't follow any of those social media's. This is as social as I get. I hate facebook and am not a member. On utube even Bob Wells is pushing products now. I use to like him. At least he compares products which give you an idea of their performance. I wont go to the product shows either because it's just one big commercial for over priced products I cant afford anyway. I think we can agree.

Reactions: MidOH and grubworm

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
I don't follow any of those social media's. This is as social as I get. I hate facebook
Same here. This is my only "social media" and it's only because it is full of like minded people. I always size up people by what they can do and how they treat others...the majority of stuff now days is "what do you have" and "what do you say", which is useless to me.

Reactions: MidOH

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Same here. This is my only "social media" and it's only because it is full of like minded people. I always size up people by what they can do and how they treat others...the majority of stuff now days is "what do you have" and "what do you say", which is useless to me.
I am always ready to learn from others about things I have no knowledge. Since solar is a subject that I have no experience and because I want a solar set up for my extended stays in the boon docks, I have been involved in many helpful conversations in the forum. I now have, after much discussion, everything I need for my set up. That is, thanks to about 20 people here in Ob that knew a lot more than me and shared their knowledge. Everyone who had knowledge of a specific product expressed their learned experience for that product. The price ranges varied widely but using their info and matching it with MY wants an MY pocket book, I was able to put together a package that works for me. The benefit was that I gained enough knowledge to, at my discretion, can add too, or take from the system at a later date. Id like to think I have made more friends than enemy's here on OB forum. I'm glad they have all been willing to discuss my issues and I know I am quick to add too any conversation where I feel I have something useful to add.

Dave K

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Tracy California, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
K
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6PXJ
There is something to be learned from most everyone.

Of course, from some, the lesson is in what not to do.
I instruct in an apprenticeship program and I am constantly pushing this narrative. EVERYONE you encounter has something to teach you. It is up to you to decide if the lesson is a “to do” or a “not to do” lesson.

Reactions: JCWages

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
I instruct in an apprenticeship program and I am constantly pushing this narrative. EVERYONE you encounter has something to teach you. It is up to you to decide if the lesson is a “to do” or a “not to do” lesson.
In other words "stupid is as stupid does" !

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
facebook sucks. I want nothing to do with those Martians.

Youtube and instagram are for poseurs.

None of those people will share gps trails or campsites, so to heck with them.