Loveland, Colorado
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Houston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WØNUT Extra
I roam the storage sales, swap meets, habitat for humanity store, and yard sales. There are so many people who put no value on what they have and so many good pieces can be found at very little cost.. It's also fun and gets me out of the house ! Buying used isn't being cheap it's being prudent which many off roaders, or hobbyist of all kind are not very good at doing. When I was into racing the one thing I had to keep telling myself was, don't take food off the table for my hobby. With six kids I was a penny pincher out of necessity and it never kept me out of the winners circle, just made me work a little harder. I watched a video not long ago where a guy had an old station wagon he gutted out. He roamed the alleys in the parts of towns that had alleys. He picked up what most people call junk, but at the end of the day he was scrapping out that junk for as much as $500. He made enough to buy himself an old dump truck. How was that for ingenuity ?
Lanlubber
I have fun making it a competition to see how cheap I can build my stuff. Not low quality, or performance, just cost less. I am not afraid to drop money on something if it does what I want.

Last edited:

DanW

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Danville, Indiana
Member #

What does it mean to hit rock bottom for you. Does it mean you lost interest or that you spent your last dime on a rig but couldn't go any further. I just need clarification. I don't want to hit the bottom of anything. LOL
Lanlubber
No, actually it was a joke meaning that if I'm involved, there's nothing elite about it. Quite the opposite. That one bombed pretty good, didn't it? Lol.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
I have fun making it a competition to see how cheap I can build my stuff. Now low quality, or performance, just cost less. I am not afraid to drop money on something if it does what I want.
Your my man, we talk the dame language !
I'm still amazed with your craftsmanship.
Lanlubber

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
No, actually it was a joke meaning that if I'm involved, there's nothing elite about it. Quite the opposite. That one bombed pretty good, didn't it? Lol.
Not really, you clarified it very well. I can agree with that because I have never been elite at anything. I may have been the only one doing it though because I like doing things s little different.
Lanlubber

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
How about we just start calling it CAMPING again, and then we won't have to waste time worrying about debating it? lol
When I see the caravans of OB rigs, it reminds me of our pioneers in modern day rigs. I think we all need to see and be apart of the movement to see America from a place that we cant see normally. In my mind it takes me out of hell and into the garden of Eden. If I were born a hundred years earlier, I would have been in those wagon trains and may have been in another life, who knows.
Lanlubber

Reactions: sabjku
Posting another elitist point, the overlanding community has been spurned on by the rapid build up of off road trailers. Campers and motor homes dominated for quite awhile, not so much anymore. I built my first trailer way back in 1985: hauled it thru the Rubicon Trail, got massive wows ,reallys, you’ve got to be kidding. I just smiled talked about what I had, fixed my chow and sacked out inside the trailer bed. I pulled it thru with no major incidents behind a 76 Land cruiser hence my screen name. I’ve since seen 9 different builders of custom trailers enter the fray, still have my original, built a couple for my friends and away we go, yes elitist is paying 25k plus for a trailer you can live out of for a couple days. Mine was used during Katrina the hurricane, cooked meals for the hospital crew in Mississippi, it’s a workhorse, nothing elitist about it, just a fun toy. I’m currently working on another build I acquired from a member here on OB, it’s for camping, not overlanding, Hope to see y’all in North Carolina in October where the elitist groups will be gathered. Should be fun

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Posting another elitist point, the overlanding community has been spurned on by the rapid build up of off road trailers. Campers and motor homes dominated for quite awhile, not so much anymore. I built my first trailer way back in 1985: hauled it thru the Rubicon Trail, got massive wows ,reallys, you’ve got to be kidding. I just smiled talked about what I had, fixed my chow and sacked out inside the trailer bed. I pulled it thru with no major incidents behind a 76 Land cruiser hence my screen name. I’ve since seen 9 different builders of custom trailers enter the fray, still have my original, built a couple for my friends and away we go, yes elitist is paying 25k plus for a trailer you can live out of for a couple days. Mine was used during Katrina the hurricane, cooked meals for the hospital crew in Mississippi, it’s a workhorse, nothing elitist about it, just a fun toy. I’m currently working on another build I acquired from a member here on OB, it’s for camping, not overlanding, Hope to see y’all in North Carolina in October where the elitist groups will be gathered. Should be fun
Nothing new about trailers. That's how the west was won. Horses, mules and cattle were the automobile and the covered wagon was just a trailer, especially the chuck wagon on a cattle drive. I would bet that it's been going on for thousands of years, we are just the modern users. Back in the 40's as a boy scout we had camp kitchens in the back of our station wagons that would put some of the modern rigs to shame. What goes around comes around, we just have a modern version of wheel barrows !
Lanlubber

Reactions: Desert Runner

Jim SoG

Forums Manager
Staff member
Investor

Educator I

Reno, Nevada, United States
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Bro
Member #

Service Branch
USAF DAV
I have fun making it a competition to see how cheap I can build my stuff. Not low quality, or performance, just cost less. I am not afraid to drop money on something if it does what I want.
I need to do it cheaper or I have to save up for things to get done, I have to take care of my father and am on a very tight income even with my disability check, but I chip away at things, but man my "wish" or "would like to" list grows longer faster than I can save.....And what makes it worse is I got tons upon tons of talent and skill in my head, but by the time it travels down to the wood or project it dwindles down to a fiver year old finger painting of sparky the dog (you know the painting you hang on the fridge upside down and nobody knows it is)......

I admire your abilities no matter the cost sir, knowing your saving while doing it, even sweeter.

Jim

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Yeah...I'm pretty much "Damn the common sense...full speed ahead!!"
(work's pretty good for off-roading...not so much when dealing with women)
Grubworm, look at it this way, "variety is the spice of life" !

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
If by ''spice '', you mean red heads.......

Nope. Waking up to a chick with a pitchfork once, is enough. Freckles of crazy.

Reactions: Viking1204