Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
I started looking at campers, and I may get one at some point, but I could get in a RTT much cheaper with NO taxes. Plus I can pull a boat if need be. The heat of the summer is a little problematic. I was up near 6000 ft. yesterday in N.C. and it was nearly heaven. Soon as I get officially retired (been retired for about three years, just haven't told anyone):grin: I'm spending my summers somewhere cooler than here! Hmmm? Wonder if I could build my own, or refurbish without the tax issue? Have to check that angle. I did acquire a small generator, some solar panels and a LI battery so things are now doable. The only problem around here is lack of dispersed camping opportunity. There is some but not the huge amount of public land like out west. As long as there are fish to chase I can survive!
I THINK IT WOULD BE FUN TO BUILD YOUR OWN CAMPER IF YOU HAVE THE TOOLS TO DO IT. Bob Wells utube video's have a lot of good ideas on converting cargo trailers into campers at a very reasonable cost. Often you can buy these trailers at city, county or state auctions very cheaply. Come west young man, we do have a lot of federal and state land to camp out on in a dispersed fashion, the only way to go as far as I am concerned. I like seclusion and if your vehicle is capable there is plenty of places like that out here.
Lanlubber

CR-Venturer

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Ardrossan, AB, Canada
First Name
Jas
Last Name
Spr
Member #

I totally get that feeling. I do think it can be done on a very tight budget, though, because that's exactly how I'm doing it. I bought my 1999 Honda CR-V for $1800 Canuck bucks off of Craigslist. I bought a set of tires for it for around 500 or so, which cash came from the sale of my old mini van. Since then I've added a ton of stuff, and it was pretty much all on a shoe string budget.

CB Radio - $40 from Craigslist, complete with magnet mount antenna. Installed by cutting up some old extension cord I had lying around and a couple of bucks for connectors.
Painted the wheels and trim semi-gloss black with about 4 cans of $7 tremclad from Walmart
Found a matching 5th tire for my spare for $25 from the wrecker
Skid plate was fabbed by my brother in law for the cost of a 12 pack of beer.
Ammo can center console was I think about $25 plus a couple bucks for some bolts.
Upgraded my CB antenna to a 4 foot fibreglass, about 18 bucks online, complete with mount, and I made the attachment bracket from scraps I had lying around.
Jerry can was $30, carrier was about the same, plus 20 bucks for the tubing and bolts to mount it.
My roof rack is by far my most expensive mod so far, but it's a low profile rack akin to something like a Rhino rack, and I'd say it's far stronger than the factory rack, and at $250 or so, it was less than half what a Rhino would cost.

Almost all my camping gear is either super cheap, or super old, and it all does the job. Craigslist and FB marketplace is your friend when cash is tight.

I've already taken my rig on some pretty crazy drives, and I figure it should be able to take me just about anywhere I ever want to go. It can be done!

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
I totally get that feeling. I do think it can be done on a very tight budget, though, because that's exactly how I'm doing it. I bought my 1999 Honda CR-V for $1800 Canuck bucks off of Craigslist. I bought a set of tires for it for around 500 or so, which cash came from the sale of my old mini van. Since then I've added a ton of stuff, and it was pretty much all on a shoe string budget.

CB Radio - $40 from Craigslist, complete with magnet mount antenna. Installed by cutting up some old extension cord I had lying around and a couple of bucks for connectors.
Painted the wheels and trim semi-gloss black with about 4 cans of $7 tremclad from Walmart
Found a matching 5th tire for my spare for $25 from the wrecker
Skid plate was fabbed by my brother in law for the cost of a 12 pack of beer.
Ammo can center console was I think about $25 plus a couple bucks for some bolts.
Upgraded my CB antenna to a 4 foot fibreglass, about 18 bucks online, complete with mount, and I made the attachment bracket from scraps I had lying around.
Jerry can was $30, carrier was about the same, plus 20 bucks for the tubing and bolts to mount it.
My roof rack is by far my most expensive mod so far, but it's a low profile rack akin to something like a Rhino rack, and I'd say it's far stronger than the factory rack, and at $250 or so, it was less than half what a Rhino would cost.

Almost all my camping gear is either super cheap, or super old, and it all does the job. Craigslist and FB marketplace is your friend when cash is tight.

I've already taken my rig on some pretty crazy drives, and I figure it should be able to take me just about anywhere I ever want to go. It can be done!
Sounds pretty much like the way I've gone and going at this point. My budget for a vehicle was $2000, my budget for everything else is $3000 for a total of $5000.

Reactions: Viking1204

John D.

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

porterville, ca
First Name
John
Last Name
Duffy
Member #

Thanks to everyone that responded, I got my answer. I'll be closing the thread soon. Yes overlanding in a lot of ways has gone elitist but a lot, if not most who responded here have not. Guess I'll try to stay optimistic. Thanks again you all are awesome !!

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
Wow
6 pages
Some good discussion here.

I'm going to throw a wrench in it just because.

Is Overlanding becoming "Elitist"? YES
Why?
To answer that one need's to look at people and history. I'll share my history with this and what I have observed. 1970's-1980's. Most of my time was spent backpacking. One day I noticed more people were buying gear and the areas were getting crowded. People were looking down their noses at you if you didn't have certain gear. Elitist? yes. What I realized was, backpacking had become a fad. Late 1980's - late 1990's. I'm into sand toys and desert exploring. All of a sudden BAM crowds of idiots with high dollar sand toys. People looking down their noses if you didn't have what they considered good. Elitist? yes. Fad again. Then it was Side by Sides and JK jeeps. Same thing.

Now I drive around and I see it again with "Overlanding" Rigs. I was car shopping with my mom. At the Subaru dealer, in the show room was a Forester with a roof top tent. When I asked if this was popular, the sales guy said "oh yes, we sold quite a few like this. HUH. I don't fault people for 30 light bars in their Jeep just as I don't hate on lowered cars. To each his own but, the last couple of times on the Mojave Road you wouldn't believe what I've seen. I had stopped at the mail box, this group was blasting down the trail with a shiny black H1 Hummer in the lead. The H1, slammed the poor truck through the whoops hard and came to a sliding stop where we were. Pops out with a "that's how its done" grin and scoffs at my rig before walking by. The other 3 weren't much better.

There's a reason why I spend most of my time on this forum. It's the people.

As was stated on this thread earlier, I see this type of question pop up occasionally. Mostly its from people who state their new to "Overlanding". My advice is , hang around, the elitist idiots will move on to the next fad. Until then, remember my motto... Smile and Nod.
Everything fun and worth doing, wont stay secret for long. You just need to out live "them"

Reactions: John D.

Berkshires

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Berkshire, MA, USA
First Name
K
Last Name
L
Member #

I think the question is too narrow - to me it is "Has overlanding reached a critical size that allows it to fraction into sub-groups that seldom interact with one another?" Unfortunately this is what happens with any activity or lifestyle - I'm a long time backpacker and have always been a minimalist, though many of my fellow hikers are not. But I see plenty of hikers who make fun of the other groups "sure you can keep up with that big load on your back" vs. "enjoy your cold food you minimalist, while we eat a warm gourmet meal" and so on.

Within the overlanding community, we have a number of different sub-groups that are starting to interact less and less. For example, there are all these people who denigrate so called "hipsters" and those that take instagrams as not being true overlanders. I'm not much for social media, but those people are just as much into overlanding, they just like sharing everything online, and that is just part of how they experience the outdoors.

The original post seemed to equate elitism with money, but that is not the case - elitism in the overlanding community is just about separating the sub-groups from one another, sometimes it is expensive equipment, sometimes it about knowing more than someone else, sometimes it is about how pure and simple one's overlanding style can be, and the list goes on.

This is probably just a long way of saying "can't we all just get along", but unfortunately we never seem to be able to.

Last edited:

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
Yeah, and most of the people who are "elitist" are attention seekers....so that means they usually need to perform for a crowd and generally if you go where there aren't many people, you won't find them. Just like the cat with a really overly loud motorcycle constantly gunning it at a red light seeing how many people he can get to look at him...probably won't find his butt out in the boonies with no audience.

Last edited:

blackiestone

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Eureka, CA, USA
First Name
Laura
Last Name
Manzanilla
Member #

funny and enlightening convos. We used to call it "car camping" and if you wanted to get up that hill, well just do it :). We spent the better part of two months month doing our research to find out what we need to get "overlanding". Lots of Youtube videos, lots of searching the internet. came down to again... "car camping" but with a slightly more capable car: Jeep Cherokee trailhawk vs my old VW Golf. I wouldn't consider anyone on here elitest so for now... consider positive intent... until they shun me or look down their nose at the way I do it, which I'm sure will be a little more down to earth in and overland way.

A-Aron

US Rocky Mountain Region Local Expert Utah
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Enoch, UT, USA
First Name
Aaron
Last Name
Tiede
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LIJ
The point is not to to point.. they obviously have different resources than the majority of people.. its like asking if basketball has gone elitest.. because there is an NBA... do you stop playing ball in the yard because someone else is making millions doing it, getting sponsors.. free shoes.. etc? No.. but your street games aren't televised.. does that mean you throw your shoes in the trash? Just do what you love, let other people do what they love.. I've never heard a single "overlander" say.. I'm better than you because I have (insert expensive equipment here) .. they are sharing their passion and the things that drive them to do what they do. The OB community accepts all types, that is what makes it beautiful.. its about the people, the adventures, the information... To be fair, they're the ones driving the market for improved products, better prices and availability because of the publicity and notoriety. I am grateful that there are people with seemingly endless cash buying and trying new stuff out so I can listen to what they like and don't like and save my hard earned cash for the best product fit for my application.. They blow money.. so I don't have to waste mine.. I say let them.

RescueRangers

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Fleming Island, Fl
Member #

Several years ago I ran across Overland Journal at a book store and first learned about Overlanding. From this I learned about Expedition Portal and the more we learned about Overlanding the more we wanted to learn about it. Some time after this we ran across Overland Bound, a small forum at the time, and thought the small number of people on it would allow us to interact with others more. It wasn't too long after we joined the first "What is Overlanding" appeared. The first time the discussion was pretty good, everyone threw out their ideas of what overlanding is to them, what I call their overland style. A while later the discussion came up again but this time there was a noticeable change. During this discussion several people came in and claimed they have been overlanding for . . . a life time. "Every year since I was X years old I have gone to X lake and camped all week while fishing". Hey, that is great I'm thinking until the guy claims the rest of us are just wannabes, he's the expert. Then came the rules. You aren't overlanding if you drive on pavement, or stay one night in a hotel, or . . . In other words, this is how "I" overland and if you aren't doing it exactly like me you are a fake. The point when I had had enough is when Overlanding was defined as off roading and camping.

Some where along the way the elitist discussions started. If you have an expensive rig or expensive gear you are just a fake. "I am a real overlander because I overland in a Dodge pickup I bought for $200, my awning is a blue tarp, and my cooler I got from the side of the road. If you spent more than $300 on a rig and gear to overland, you are stupid". I can't count how many times on here I have read that. I respect people who can overland on the cheap. I read about one guy who went around the world averaging $7-15 a day, including fuel. But, when you say someone is stupid because they can afford better equipment, that is like saying someone is stupid because they got off their butt to get an education and a good job.

In both discussions, the elitist is the person who claims to be the expert, or most knowledgeable or experienced, by coming up with reasons why everyone else isn't. Just as the elitist is the one who dismisses everyone who has better or more expensive gear. Basically, the elitist is the person with the complex, the person who has to be noticed. The person is insecure about their rig and/or gear, "mine isnt as good as his", and has to come up with some reason to discredit the other to raise them self up.

I have read books written by or about at least a dozen global overlanders (the people who are out overlanding and not making Youtube videos or hanging out on forums) over the part couple years to learn what overlanding truely is. I can tell you very simply, Overlanders do drive on pavement, they do stay in hotels (when the situation warrants it), they do meet people that are different from themself, they go down a particular trail to get to something they want to see (not just to go down that trail), they buy the gear that works best for them (normally on the expensive side because it lasts), and they don't tell other overlanders they are doing it wrong.

In hiking there is a saying, "hike your own hike". Let's try this, "Overland your own Overland". Is overlanding becoming elitist, sure it is. Just like every hobby out there we have people who can't understand respect has to be earned, you can't tear others down to be respected. And we have people who can't understand that we are all different, we all have different wants, needs, situations, and resources. If you have a chip on your shoulder because someone has more money to spend on there rig/gear, just remember they worked for it and have the right to have it if they wish. If someone doesn't care to hide in the woods for days on end, accept that this is not something they want to do even though you do. Overlanding is a personal thing, be respectful and quit with the sore grapes whine fest.

P.S. I apologize to the many non-elitist on the forum.

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
OK...so the elitist is still an elitist, but then the person who calls an elitist an elitist is ALSO an elitist. So what about the guy who calls the guy who calls the elitist an elitist an elitist...is he an elitist too?

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
Only if he eats Elitist brand potato chips.
I like sour creme and onion the best.

ETA, it's never elitist to make fun of overlanders with bagged milk. That's perfectly fine.

MMc

Rank V

Influencer II

San Dimas, Ca.
First Name
Mike
Last Name
McMullen
Member #

I go to Baja for most of my trips. What is described below is what we call "the rooster dance" These guys get all puffed up and parade around, "cause I been coming to Baja sinse (insert year)". It happens to many sports and lots of activity.

I mostly think of myself as a guy that goes to remote places to recreate, experience and see new things, I also surf and kayak at said places. I have traveled in cars, little and big trucks. The better off, I was the nicer the stuff. I got a full size truck and got more stuff. I am more comfortable now, but sometimes it's a bivy bag and sleeping bag, my back backing stove, a ice chest, cook gear and a surfboard. It's about having fun not stuff.

I am thinking about the Pan American, and am looking for ideas here. There are some great ideas here and some I dismiss out of hand. The reason I love somethin is the reason you hate it. How about you just go do and have fun, not worry about what others are doing.

Several years ago I ran across Overland Journal at a book store and first learned about Overlanding. From this I learned about Expedition Portal and the more we learned about Overlanding the more we wanted to learn about it. Some time after this we ran across Overland Bound, a small forum at the time, and thought the small number of people on it would allow us to interact with others more. It wasn't too long after we joined the first "What is Overlanding" appeared. The first time the discussion was pretty good, everyone threw out their ideas of what overlanding is to them, what I call their overland style. A while later the discussion came up again but this time there was a noticeable change. During this discussion several people came in and claimed they have been overlanding for . . . a life time. "Every year since I was X years old I have gone to X lake and camped all week while fishing". Hey, that is great I'm thinking until the guy claims the rest of us are just wannabes, he's the expert. Then came the rules. You aren't overlanding if you drive on pavement, or stay one night in a hotel, or . . . In other words, this is how "I" overland and if you aren't doing it exactly like me you are a fake. The point when I had had enough is when Overlanding was defined as off roading and camping.

Some where along the way the elitist discussions started. If you have an expensive rig or expensive gear you are just a fake. "I am a real overlander because I overland in a Dodge pickup I bought for $200, my awning is a blue tarp, and my cooler I got from the side of the road. If you spent more than $300 on a rig and gear to overland, you are stupid". I can't count how many times on here I have read that. I respect people who can overland on the cheap. I read about one guy who went around the world averaging $7-15 a day, including fuel. But, when you say someone is stupid because they can afford better equipment, that is like saying someone is stupid because they got off their butt to get an education and a good job.

In both discussions, the elitist is the person who claims to be the expert, or most knowledgeable or experienced, by coming up with reasons why everyone else isn't. Just as the elitist is the one who dismisses everyone who has better or more expensive gear. Basically, the elitist is the person with the complex, the person who has to be noticed. The person is insecure about their rig and/or gear, "mine isnt as good as his", and has to come up with some reason to discredit the other to raise them self up.

I have read books written by or about at least a dozen global overlanders (the people who are out overlanding and not making Youtube videos or hanging out on forums) over the part couple years to learn what overlanding truely is. I can tell you very simply, Overlanders do drive on pavement, they do stay in hotels (when the situation warrants it), they do meet people that are different from themself, they go down a particular trail to get to something they want to see (not just to go down that trail), they buy the gear that works best for them (normally on the expensive side because it lasts), and they don't tell other overlanders they are doing it wrong.

In hiking there is a saying, "hike your own hike". Let's try this, "Overland your own Overland". Is overlanding becoming elitist, sure it is. Just like every hobby out there we have people who can't understand respect has to be earned, you can't tear others down to be respected. And we have people who can't understand that we are all different, we all have different wants, needs, situations, and resources. If you have a chip on your shoulder because someone has more money to spend on there rig/gear, just remember they worked for it and have the right to have it if they wish. If someone doesn't care to hide in the woods for days on end, accept that this is not something they want to do even though you do. Overlanding is a personal thing, be respectful and quit with the sore grapes whine fest.

P.S. I apologize to the many non-elitist on the forum.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Only if he eats Elitist brand potato chips.
I like sour creme and onion the best.

ETA, it's never elitist to make fun of overlanders with bagged milk. That's perfectly fine.
What is an overlander with bagged milk ? I must be really out of touch !
Lanlubber

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
If you throw it at another overlander, will it explode like a water balloon?