Launch Member

Member III

Palm Harbor FL
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Stepkoski
Member #

This has been a good read. I do not find too much fault with some of the youtubers. I like seeing some of the cool ideas out there and how they hold up and work. I built a Jeep Wrangler 2 door that was dumb for Florida. I sold it and built another one that made sense for half the cost. Now I am slowly building up a Lexus Gx460. I am not doing anything to the suspension or to the interior. I put some good AT tires on it and a roof rack coming. That's it! I am gong to drive it and enjoy it. Jeep and Toyota make pretty capable vehicles in stock form. I think keeping it simple and getting away from all the "complexities" and the problems I create in my head may be the reason I overland. TO GET BACK TO REALITY...

Winterpeg

CDN Prairie Ambassador
Staff member
Launch Member

Influencer II

Winnipeg, MB
Member #

My only issue is if you get into most "overlanding" social media groups you cant get genuine help. You try to ask one simple question ot get some feedback on what has/hasnt worked and everyone turns into keyboard commandos and not picks or trashes on everyone else.

I was trying to find some real world experience with something, cant remember what, and I asked about the common $500 version or some of the cheaper copies. Every single reply was "stop being poor" or "if you have to ask you wont need it" or "you just want it for instagram likes"
Wow.... I've never encountered that attitude.

We're always debating prices on things and give each other a headsup if there is a sale. I'm always trying to find the cheaper way of doing something.... but have also come to the realization that paying for a quality item sometimes saves money in the long run.

The only other major forum I'm on is the FJCruiserforums and I help run that... if someone's being a dick like that then they aren't welcome there for very long.

Last edited:

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

Maybe overlanding needs vehicle classes something similar to this

Level1(stock vehicle, camping gear)
Level2(stock vehicle with better tires,camping gear)
Level3( bigger tires, lifted,recovery gear,camping gear)
Level4( big tire, lifted, winch,recovery gear, camping gear)
Level5( everything in level 4 + fridge and solar)
Level6( you have everything there is to have)

Then everyone will know who would be best to have a conversation with that would relate to what gear etc you have.

Reactions: John D.

4wheelspulling

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Chelan, WA.
First Name
Vance
Last Name
Myers
Member #

My only issue is if you get into most "overlanding" social media groups you cant get genuine help. You try to ask one simple question ot get some feedback on what has/hasnt worked and everyone turns into keyboard commandos and not picks or trashes on everyone else.

I was trying to find some real world experience with something, cant remember what, and I asked about the common $500 version or some of the cheaper copies. Every single reply was "stop being poor" or "if you have to ask you wont need it" or "you just want it for instagram likes"
I hope all on our OB forum, feel like they can ask a question or share an Idea without fear of being flamed? When I started viewing this forum, I did find this form different, more supportive, more family friendly than other sites. We have a great group of OB Members, and an impressive amount of knowledge with our Members. I hope we as a whole community work to have everyone feel welcome on OB, always! Vance.

flyfisher117

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Idaho
First Name
John
Last Name
Hansen
Member #

Wow.... I've never encountered that attitude.

We're always debating prices on thinngs and give each other a headsup if there is a sale. I'm always trying to find the cheaper way of doing something.... but have also come to the realization that paying for a quality item sometimes saves money in the long run.

The only other major forum I'm on is the FJCruiserforums and I help run that... if someone's being a dick like that then they aren't welcome there for very long.
It exists a lot outside of the OB oriented groups. Even beyond the buy once cry once. People just act like if you arent buying top of the line everything you're being a "poor boi"

I've been flamed because I said my $30 light bars fill every need of mine. Some nights I do wish theh were brighter but otherwise they do exactly what I need. But I got flamed for that because i was "being poor" and I'm just trying to justify my shit purchase "because it's just as good".

old_man

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Loveland, Colorado
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Houston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WØNUT Extra
It exists a lot outside of the OB oriented groups. Even beyond the buy once cry once. People just act like if you arent buying top of the line everything you're being a "poor boi"

I've been flamed because I said my $30 light bars fill every need of mine. Some nights I do wish theh were brighter but otherwise they do exactly what I need. But I got flamed for that because i was "being poor" and I'm just trying to justify my shit purchase "because it's just as good".
What are light bars? :sunglasses:

Dark is for grilling, beer, and sleeping.

Winterpeg

CDN Prairie Ambassador
Staff member
Launch Member

Influencer II

Winnipeg, MB
Member #

I don't understand why someone feels the need to pipe up and put their 2 cents in with a product that a person is fully happy with.... and try to tell them they are "wrong".... just baffles the crap outta me... lol.

FrankRoams

Local Expert Southern CA

Member III

Aliso Viejo, CA
First Name
Frank
Last Name
Martinez
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6TRD
Don't hang out with elitist people and it won't be elitist. What's left is the internet... and well I think we all know that shouldn't be taken seriously :tearsofjoy:

Reactions: Tahoe.Adventures

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
What are light bars? :sunglasses:

Dark is for grilling, beer, and sleeping.
old_man, your skills are outstanding. I want to compliment you on your build. Even with your skills it is obvious you have a lot of money in your rig in just the materials, and the tools you used to build your rig. Thanks for sharing your info.

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
I've been flamed because I said my $30 light bars fill every need of mine and I'm just trying to justify my shit purchase "because it's just as good".
Ha! Nothing new, really. I got made fun of for being poor and wearing K-Mart Traxx shoes in school...and this was back in the early 70's, so that's just typical people. Its more noticeable now because social media exposes you to thousands of people at a time instead of just a hand full.
Don't sweat people. Who knows, one day the guy who made fun of your lights will find himself along the side of the road in the dark with engine trouble and no lights...you happen along with your "shit lights" and save the day! I never make fun of people for having less because I know I could easily be assed out one day and I'd be wishing I had that "shit tool" or "shit light". Karma is funny like that...

Laurits

Rank IV
Investor

Enthusiast III

Fort Walton Beach, FL
First Name
Laurits
Last Name
Jorgensen
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
HamHead
Service Branch
USNCB (Seabees)
Ha! Nothing new, really. I got made fun of for being poor and wearing K-Mart Traxx shoes in school...and this was back in the early 70's, so that's just typical people. Its more noticeable now because social media exposes you to thousands of people at a time instead of just a hand full.
Don't sweat people. Who knows, one day the guy who made fun of your lights will find himself along the side of the road in the dark with engine trouble and no lights...you happen along with your "shit lights" and save the day! I never make fun of people for having less because I know I could easily be assed out one day and I'd be wishing I had that "shit tool" or "shit light". Karma is funny like that...
Yeah, we should all remember that the people we meet on the way up in life, we'll likely meet on the way back down.

MazeVX

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Gießen Germany
First Name
Mathias
Last Name
Kreicker
Member #

The same with tools, bought a cheap c-press for ball joints and they said why don't you buy the better one? Well I bought the better ball joints and don't expect to change them regularly so I might need the tool once...
Why by super pro stuff when you need it once every two years... Just makes no sense!
There is no sense in buying the 1000$ rigid lightbar for wheeling at night once a year.

Wanderlost

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Caledonia, Illinois
Member #

People have varying amounts of disposable income and time available for their hobbies and lifestyles. Equipment elitism and conspicuous anti-elitism are equally tedious. Enjoy what you do at any price point, be neither condescending to those with less or jealous of those with more.
Your response is the best, most honest in this entire thread. Bashing can come from any side or angle.

Wanderlost

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Caledonia, Illinois
Member #

I guess we could be considered one of those YouTubers other posters in this thread are referring to.
We produce parts installation and modification videos for Toyota FJ Cruisers and 4Runners. We've been doing it for almost four years now and continue to be incredibly pleased and humbled by all the messages we receive daily from our viewers thanking us for helping them with their own modifying and/or repairs. No, we don't make money at it or get everything for free. Most of us 'Tubers don't
Yes, we have a ton of money invested in our rigs. If we tallied it all up we'd be shocked, so we don't. Luckily we're finally at an age and position in our lives where we have fewer expenses and more disposable income. Thirty+ years ago we were in the same boat as many of you; an old Chevy truck that ran off 7 of its 8 cylinders, on a good day. We slept in a hand-me-down, mildewed canvas tent, cooked over a fire on a bent up grill grate we found in the neighbor's trash. We couldn't afford to buy a stove.
Yes, we take photos of our vehicles and post them on Insta and FB. Yes, we enjoy the interaction we have with our fans and followers that comes from these photos.
Yes, we use the heck out of our rigs. They've taken us to all four corners of the U.S. and everywhere in between. To places most people could, or would, never go. Best of all they've been instrumental in us meeting, and have something in common with some of the finest people on the planet.
Yes, they're all scratched up and most of the time very dirty.
Yes, there are some "overlanders" on social media who are mostly "pretenders". That's obvious and believe me they get called out on it continuously. But, it's their thing, they're having fun with it, who are we to judge.
Hopefully none of you on here consider us to be "elitists". If you do, you can kiss my......…:laughing::tongueout:

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
People have varying amounts of disposable income and time available for their hobbies and lifestyles. Equipment elitism and conspicuous anti-elitism are equally tedious. Enjoy what you do at any price point, be neither condescending to those with less or jealous of those with more.
You are right to a degree, it all depends on whether you are a participant or a spectator.

TM Overland

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Los Angeles, CA, USA
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Pula
Bravo. Well put.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
I guess we could be considered one of those YouTubers other posters in this thread are referring to.
We produce parts installation and modification videos for Toyota FJ Cruisers and 4Runners. We've been doing it for almost four years now and continue to be incredibly pleased and humbled by all the messages we receive daily from our viewers thanking us for helping them with their own modifying and/or repairs. No, we don't make money at it or get everything for free. Most of us 'Tubers don't
Yes, we have a ton of money invested in our rigs. If we tallied it all up we'd be shocked, so we don't. Luckily we're finally at an age and position in our lives where we have fewer expenses and more disposable income. Thirty+ years ago we were in the same boat as many of you; an old Chevy truck that ran off 7 of its 8 cylinders, on a good day. We slept in a hand-me-down, mildewed canvas tent, cooked over a fire on a bent up grill grate we found in the neighbor's trash. We couldn't afford to buy a stove.
Yes, we take photos of our vehicles and post them on Insta and FB. Yes, we enjoy the interaction we have with our fans and followers that comes from these photos.
Yes, we use the heck out of our rigs. They've taken us to all four corners of the U.S. and everywhere in between. To places most people could, or would, never go. Best of all they've been instrumental in us meeting, and have something in common with some of the finest people on the planet.
Yes, they're all scratched up and most of the time very dirty.
Yes, there are some "overlanders" on social media who are mostly "pretenders". That's obvious and believe me they get called out on it continuously. But, it's their thing, they're having fun with it, who are we to judge.
Hopefully none of you on here consider us to be "elitists". If you do, you can kiss my......…:laughing::tongueout:
If the shoe fits ???

Reactions: Todd & Meg