Has anyone made the overland bound sleeping platform/drawer system by Parnell?

• HTML tutorial

CoveringFish

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

Orange County, California, United States
First Name
Evan
Last Name
Brandt
Member #

I wanted to make the overland bound drawer system for my 5th gen 4Runner because it had everything I need. And I mean everything. Sleeping storage fridge while keeping the back seats since we haul people a lot. However I’m a bit intimidated by the welding aspect as I’m only a woodworker. I was going to have a shop do the welding however I was wondering if anyone has made this for the 5th gen and how I could go about getting the dimensions? Also my first time posting sorry if I broke any rules.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Welcome @CoveringFish. Please take a minute to introduce yourself in “Member Introductions *New Members Start Here*

As to your question. The PDF files and parts list for the Overland Drawer System can be found HERE. The plans are for an 80 Series Land Cruiser, so will have to be greatly modified for a 5th Gen 4Runner. I suggest you rewatch the Overland Drawer System build series on YouTube again and pay close attention to Michael’s CAD (Cardboard Aided Design) skills as he makes a he mock-up of the system. Then configure that to get the measurements for your 4Runner.

Also, @Sandpoint Steve has some plans for a 4th Gen constructed all out of wood that you might be interested in looking into as well.

Sandpoint Steve

US NorthWest Region Local Expert
Supporter

Pathfinder III

Sandpoint, Idaho
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Marchiando
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7POE
Mine is for a 3rd Gen. and looks like this.
I have the sketup file if you want.
1626669061666.png
1626669120966.png

1626669181555.png

Reactions: Tackleberry

Sandpoint Steve

US NorthWest Region Local Expert
Supporter

Pathfinder III

Sandpoint, Idaho
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Marchiando
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7POE
Here you go.
There are some changes I would make. Mount the slides for the fridge vertical.
I changed the back a little to mount 2 smaller 35AH 12V batteries and also the compressor.

Google Drive folder with files.

.SKP file is the SketchUp file

When I cut this out and built it we followed the cut files and it all fits together great.

If you want to talk, that can be arrainged.

-Steve

Boort

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Colorado
Member #

I wanted to make the overland bound drawer system for my 5th gen 4Runner because it had everything I need. And I mean everything. Sleeping storage fridge while keeping the back seats since we haul people a lot. However I’m a bit intimidated by the welding aspect as I’m only a woodworker. I was going to have a shop do the welding however I was wondering if anyone has made this for the 5th gen and how I could go about getting the dimensions? Also my first time posting sorry if I broke any rules.
Another source of wood plans for the 5th gen is Shop — TheAdventureIndex.com
I started with their 4th gen plans for my build and modified as needed for my needs.
Dimensions for the base of my 4th gen are (parts all 1/2" Baltic Birch ply except center divider which is 3/4"):
Between the wheelwells with platform removed:
Baseplate: 39 1/8" front to rear x 41 3/8" wide
Sides & Center: 39 11/16" x 11 5/8"
Front Supports: 19 13/16" x 10 5/8
Top plate and bed platforms size depend on the slant of your back seats and height of the platform you choose to build.

Boort

CoveringFish

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

Orange County, California, United States
First Name
Evan
Last Name
Brandt
Member #

Another source of wood plans for the 5th gen is Shop — TheAdventureIndex.com
I started with their 4th gen plans for my build and modified as needed for my needs.
Dimensions for the base of my 4th gen are (parts all 1/2" Baltic Birch ply except center divider which is 3/4"):
Between the wheelwells with platform removed:
Baseplate: 39 1/8" front to rear x 41 3/8" wide
Sides & Center: 39 11/16" x 11 5/8"
Front Supports: 19 13/16" x 10 5/8
Top plate and bed platforms size depend on the slant of your back seats and height of the platform you choose to build.

Boort
Thanks I’ll take a look!