Yucca Valley, CA, USA
First Name
Lawrence
Last Name
Nye
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6OQF
EDIT: I may have misread your statement as a question when you said "web based". But what I said below may apply.

Web based won’t work because you can’t have offline maps. No internet no map. If you haven’t tried Gaia GPS you can download it for free to try the basic level out. The free version does not have offline maps but you can at least sit in your living room and learn. Do you own an iPhone or an Android phone?

Gaia is the most popular app. Because of that there are many people able to help and many videos on YouTube describing how to use it when overlanding. Then Backcountry Navigator and then a bunch of miscellaneous apps.

If you want something more basic and possibly easier to use then look at the Garmin Overlander. It isn’t as good as many of the apps but you might find it easier. You also pay a heavy cost for that. $699.00 ouch
Question? GAIA and all these apps are they not all "web" based. You need to download the maps to a device for off line or have a GPS enabled device for use offroad.
Yes the Garmin Overlander is pricey at $699 but to use Gaia or any other apps you also require a device to use their app which also has a cost;
Or am I missing something here.
New to this overlanding expirence and also trying to figure best devices for planning and following a route when on the trail.

lnye26

Rank IV
Launch Member

Traveler II

Yucca Valley, CA, USA
First Name
Lawrence
Last Name
Nye
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6OQF
You can download maps for offline use.
You can use devices internal or an external GPS source
Yes, the app has a cost but that also ensures it’s updated and enhanced regularly
Yes, the device has a cost but it also has multiple uses and you are not tied to hardware the manufacturer no longer has the inclination to update or support.

Finally, the most importantly Garmin SUCKS and the companies MO is to abandon hardware, force users to next generation through obsolescence, fail to regularly update software and firmware and software / hardware they put out is typically underwhelming.
thank you for the reply
have had my doubts about the G device and singularity of use

Reactions: MiamiC70

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
Question? GAIA and all these apps are they not all "web" based. You need to download the maps to a device for off line or have a GPS enabled device for use offroad.
Yes the Garmin Overlander is pricey at $699 but to use Gaia or any other apps you also require a device to use their app which also has a cost;
Or am I missing something here.
New to this overlanding expirence and also trying to figure best devices for planning and following a route when on the trail.
Two major reasons why not to buy a dedicated hardware device.

I already own a phone and a tablet. Why buy another piece of hardware? A piece of hardware that will become obsolete. Yes, phones become obsolete as well but that's ok. I use it for so many things.

I already own a phone and tablet - If I try Gaia and don't like it I can switch to another app. There are many. I believe Gaia is the best and have been using for 7+ years but if something else comes out that I find better I can easily switch. Don't like the XYZ Dedicated Hardware Gizmo well that is an expensive paperweight sitting on your desk.

Forget all that I bought the dedicated device! It has all of these neat apps to find campsites and take me to the local Wendy's for a frosty. Oops my phone does all that and can run the exact same apps. Why did I buy the dedicated device. Why?! Why?! Can you hear the Nancy Kerrigan Why!?????

I offer discounts on Gaia GPS through my website if you are interested. I would also encourage you to read the main thread on the app because you can learn a lot about it including somes cons people find with it.

DF2020

Rank II
Launch Member

Pathfinder II

Cincinnati, OH, USA
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Orner
Member #

Gaia has private and public land layers.

From 2017: How to Go Hunting with Gaia GPS Map Sources - Gaia GPS

Gaia has over 250 map layers with a Premium subscription. Not all apply to offroad/overlanding or hunting but many do.
This definitely helped expand my knowledge of Gaia. Thanks everyone.

jmorin41

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Canoga Park, CA 91303
First Name
James
Last Name
Morin
Member #

I use onX Maps for hunting and it's great. I tried the Off-Road version. It has some trails for CA, has layers, features like offline maps, and it's easy to navigate. I would have it as one more tool in the chest if it was included with my onX Hunts. I also tried AllTrails as way to find local hiking and OHV trails. One can get lost in all the various apps that are available.

I still prefer Gaia due to the sheer number of features (which I still don't fully use.. lol). I wish Gaia had more public/community trail sharing/library. I feel Gaia lacks in this feature but I think they might be moving to encompass this. I think of it this way... Gaia for a lot of self planned navigation and the other apps for finding local trails. The bottom line is your better off with any of these apps and paper map as a backup than nothing at all!

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
I use onX Maps for hunting and it's great. I tried the Off-Road version. It has some trails for CA, has layers, features like offline maps, and it's easy to navigate. I would have it as one more tool in the chest if it was included with my onX Hunts. I also tried AllTrails as way to find local hiking and OHV trails. One can get lost in all the various apps that are available.

I still prefer Gaia due to the sheer number of features (which I still don't fully use.. lol). I wish Gaia had more public/community trail sharing/library. I feel Gaia lacks in this feature but I think they might be moving to encompass this. I think of it this way... Gaia for a lot of self planned navigation and the other apps for finding local trails. The bottom line is your better off with any of these apps and paper map as a backup than nothing at all!
Gaia is working on curated content. That is a massive effort. There are folks helping with this. The problem with any trail data is how do you keep it accurate and up to date???? For now I highly recommend TrailsOffroad.com. They have an excellent database of trails which are kept up to date.

Tooch

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Pittsburgh, PA
First Name
Anthony
Last Name
Martucci
Member #

Just as a heads up, OnX has a sale going on for the 4th if anyone really wanted to try it. JULY4X4 is the code

Reactions: jmorin41

Shokgoblr

Rank III
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

PA, USA
First Name
Shok
Last Name
Goblr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ihave1
I use a combo of all of them. I use OnX, CalTopo- (great!) and BackCountry Navigator XE. That combo gets me pretty much everything I need to know. I have added OnX Offroad and Alltrails recently, but havent found them very useful yet. OnXOR will get better. I am hoping for an Android auto plugin so we can use while driving. I emailed and asked about that, and was told its in the works.
Does anyone else use Caltopo to plan routes then DL to Gaia? I do that with BCN XE.

Bryan R.

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Glenside, PA, USA
First Name
Bryan
Last Name
Resch
I paid for a subscription as I had a 20% off coupon, if I knew it had a free 7-day trial first, I wouldn't of paid for a subscription. I've only tried to use it once and wasn't impressed, especially the web version. I like that you can select what your "ride" is so it can show you the appropriate trails, but when I had the map focused on the area I live in, it didn't have any of the trails indicated and the parks or POIs they had the map, had no hoover over to tell you what they are, you had to zoom in as far as it would go to read what they were.

I by no means gave it any where near an exhaustive overview, but I didn't find their help screens helpful and nothing was very intuitive, since I have a subscription I'll give it another shot, but so far not really impressed, IMO you're better bet is spending your money on Gaia
I just got through trying it out for the 7 day free trial , and I also was unimpressed !! I can't believe someone with techy skills in the overland community somewhere , has not designed a great navigation system that is worth the money.
I really would love to find one that showed trails and dispersed camping sights along with gas and local mechanics etc.
Is there anything out there that is truly informative and worth the money , that is not hard to navigate through the map ?

Boppa's Travels

Rank VI

Explorer I

Corsicana, TX, USA
First Name
Rich
Last Name
Eubank
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5KFF
I used OnX on my month long trip to New Mexico. I found that it was a good backup gps for when I lost cell signal because I didn't preload a map. I added waypoints before I left marking dispersed camping and forest campgrounds but I found some spots very popular and was left scrambling to pull up MUVM off my laptop, Also got subscription at a discount during the Overland Expo Spring Virtual so I have time to decide if I want to keep it.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
I just got through trying it out for the 7 day free trial , and I also was unimpressed !! I can't believe someone with techy skills in the overland community somewhere , has not designed a great navigation system that is worth the money.
I really would love to find one that showed trails and dispersed camping sights along with gas and local mechanics etc.
Is there anything out there that is truly informative and worth the money , that is not hard to navigate through the map ?
Some one did, and you are using the software now... what you’re asking for is coming soon.

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
A combination of Gaia topo downloaded for an entire state, public land layer, USFS Roads and Trails, and USFS Recreation sites works well for me. There is no way to Mark every dispersed campsite out there. Gaia does show some areas marked for dispersed camping like the Ironton area near Ouray. All I need to know is if it is legal to camp where I want to camp.

If apps mark potential dispersed camping sites the more likely they are going to be destroyed. A good percentage of the population sucks and are lazy. I would rather it be slightly more difficult to find spots. As in yes I have to actually be on the trail to find them. I mark waypoints all the time with nice spots for future use. Our circle of trusted responsible folks has collected a good database ans we share them all the time. Off the soap box as that is a land use topic and not really an app topic.

As for gas most towns have gas. Google can tell me that. In rare areas where there is no phone service Maps.me can do the same. I don’t need my offroad navigation app cluttered with non offroad POI data.

As others have mentioned with a little pre-route planning it is very easy to mark potential spots or any possible POI data like fuel and emergency services.

While I think the Garmin Overlander is a poor product, plenty of reviews for folks to read and watch to decide for themselves, it does have all of that in town POI data within the software on the device. It also has a lot less useful map layers.

OnX has two map layers and the hybrid layer. Gaia has 25+ if you are a premium subscriber. I will continue to test OnX with my paid subscription but don’t see it getting anywhere close to Gaia’s functionality any time soon.

Last edited:

FishinCrzy

Rank V

Advocate I

South Carolina, USA
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Duncan
Member #

Service Branch
StateHazmatResponder
Anybody seen an app for fishing spots as related to dispersed camping? I've seen a lot of general information as to streams and lakes. I just need to look a little harder I'm sure. I know that information can be a little hard to get specifics. Nature of fishing I suppose. When I head West next year I may be PMing some of you guys for some info. All these apps are great I guess. I just don't have a natural affinity to depend on electronics for all my info. Much more comfortable with a paper map. Guess I better purchase a printer before I leave the work world. Nice to know there is a lot of people working on this information. I plan to purchase a dedicated gps capable notebook/laptop when I figure out what works for me and start downloading. If there's fish around, I will find them!

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
Anybody seen an app for fishing spots as related to dispersed camping? I've seen a lot of general information as to streams and lakes. I just need to look a little harder I'm sure. I know that information can be a little hard to get specifics. Nature of fishing I suppose. When I head West next year I may be PMing some of you guys for some info. All these apps are great I guess. I just don't have a natural affinity to depend on electronics for all my info. Much more comfortable with a paper map. Guess I better purchase a printer before I leave the work world. Nice to know there is a lot of people working on this information. I plan to purchase a dedicated gps capable notebook/laptop when I figure out what works for me and start downloading. If there's fish around, I will find them!
You are not going to find what you seek on a laptop. This is a smartphone/tablet world these days. Go hit up the Apple or Android app stores and see what is available currently.

I don’t disagree that paper maps are a great thing to have. I carry the Delores state books, a few Benchmark Atlas’s and pick up local forest service maps whenever I can. All fit in an old laptop messenger bag.

Reactions: FishinCrzy

FishinCrzy

Rank V

Advocate I

South Carolina, USA
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Duncan
Member #

Service Branch
StateHazmatResponder
You are not going to find what you seek on a laptop. This is a smartphone/tablet world these days. Go hit up the Apple or Android app stores and see what is available currently.
Yeah, thanks,I meant tablet. I've been looking and one can get in fairly inexpensive. The speed of hardware updates these days it may be worth waiting a few more months. I kind of like my Android systems. I have both at work. I will probably update my old Galaxy 7 phone too. But, I don't use a fraction of what I could now. I'm too old school I know, but it ain't rocket surgery. May get one of those buttons you push so the satellites can send help if it goes way south. Being lost has never bothered me much especially if you don't have a schedule.

Rath

Rank IV
Launch Member

Member III

Manitoba, Canada
First Name
Rath
Last Name
Adventures
Member #

FIgured I would mention, if you actually go online with a computer to their website, the option to view public tracks is there, and you can then save them and sync them to your device as well.

I'm sure in the future they will include this option directly on the phone itself, which would be handy. But it's still super useful to be able to see public tracks people have made and be able to save them

Reactions: 1Louder

Glen59

Rank III

Enthusiast I

Berwick, PA, USA
First Name
Glen
Last Name
Hidlay
Member #

Sounds to me like this OneX is just getting started with the offroad type of mapping and will get better in time. Just a thought.

DesmosDromos

Rank II

Enthusiast II

Philadelphia, PA, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Barker
Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRJB996
I looked at it recently, but subscribed to Gaia on my iPhone instead mostly for a reason I haven’t seen mentioned yet- CarPlay integration. I can use my in-dash screen instead of relying on my smaller smartphone screen while driving or mounting a tablet on the dash.

Carter

Rank I
Launch Member

Member I

Shelby Charter Township, MI, USA
First Name
Anthony
Last Name
Carter
Member #

I started using it in June and it worked pretty well here in Michigan. It has all the trails I have discovered on it and I can easily click the trail I am looking at and it tells me what type of vehicle it is meant for.