Hughson, CA, USA
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Holway
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6DZP
OnX just released OnX Offroad not too long ago. Wondering if anyone has had a chance to check it out yet. I have been using the OnX Hunt app for a few years. It is hands down the best hunting navigation app. If OnX Offroad is even half as good, I wont be disappointed in paying the yearly subscription. If/when I get a chance to dive more in to the app, I'll try and remember to give some feed back.

Lil Bear

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Georgia, USA
First Name
Working
Last Name
Toomuch
Member #

I downloaded it but it didn't seem to have a lot of roads or trails actually available. There are spots on the map where there should have been trails but I didn't see them. Only tried using the free version and only for a quick look. I had better luck learning to use GAIA.

Reactions: Patrick

Uphillshunter

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Hughson, CA, USA
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Holway
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6DZP
I paid for a subscription as I had a 20% off coupon, if I knew it had a free 7-day trial first, I wouldn't of paid for a subscription. I've only tried to use it once and wasn't impressed, especially the web version. I like that you can select what your "ride" is so it can show you the appropriate trails, but when I had the map focused on the area I live in, it didn't have any of the trails indicated and the parks or POIs they had the map, had no hoover over to tell you what they are, you had to zoom in as far as it would go to read what they were.

I by no means gave it any where near an exhaustive overview, but I didn't find their help screens helpful and nothing was very intuitive, since I have a subscription I'll give it another shot, but so far not really impressed, IMO you're better bet is spending your money on Gaia

Thanks for the input. I already have Gaia... and I like it's functions, ease of sharing etc.

I use OnX Hunt for hunting snd it has really worked well for that. I'm noticing OnX Offroad doesn't have nearly as many options or features as their Hunt app does.

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
OnX offers 3 map layers. Gaia offers too many to count. Yearly pricing is similar. Also WAY easier to download offline maps in Gaia GPS.

I messed with the OnX trial. No where close as good.
You can't import tracks in the app. Online only and that was a recent addition

The whole "We have 400,000 trails or miles or trails or whatever they market is very misleading" what they do differently than Gaia is pull forest road and trail data that show trail width and then use that to show you trails. Most of that data is not curated (meaning no one has actually gone out and tested all of those trails. They may or may not be any good.)

Paying for something like TrailsOffroad IMHO is far more valuable. They take the time to map trails and review them. Download a GPX file from the site, import into you chosen app and off you go.

Maybe in a year.

I believe Gaia has all of the same data as OnX Hunt, if not more. Gaia has some blog posts on this. OnX just does a better job marketing in that segment.

As for the review it sounds like they should compare the app to Gaia GPS and BCN.

Uphillshunter

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Hughson, CA, USA
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Holway
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6DZP
OnX offers 3 map layers. Gaia offers too many to count. Yearly pricing is similar. Also WAY easier to download offline maps in Gaia GPS.

I messed with the OnX trial. No where close as good.
You can't import tracks in the app. Online only and that was a recent addition

The whole "We have 400,000 trails or miles or trails or whatever they market is very misleading" what they do differently than Gaia is pull forest road and trail data that show trail width and then use that to show you trails. Most of that data is not curated (meaning no one has actually gone out and tested all of those trails. They may or may not be any good.)

Paying for something like TrailsOffroad IMHO is far more valuable. They take the time to map trails and review them. Download a GPX file from the site, import into you chosen app and off you go.

Maybe in a year.

I believe Gaia has all of the same data as OnX Hunt, if not more. Gaia has some blog posts on this. OnX just does a better job marketing in that segment.

As for the review it sounds like they should compare the app to Gaia GPS and BCN.

So far, from what I've seen. Gaia is better for driving. But once you get out and start hiking OnX Hunt is 1000% better than Gaia. It's easier to use and does have more info than Gaia does. At least more info that I can find.

Sure Gaia has hunt zones (now, they didn't have them till relatively recently) But OnX Hunt has (hiking) trail distances, trail slope, the trails are better defined and the trail lables are easier to read, and OnX Hunt also has (private) land ownership information, which I have not found on Gaia.

OnX Offroad is relatively new. I'll hold off on making judgement for now. But OnX Hunt is definately, no question, better than Gaia for that application.

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
So far, from what I've seen. Gaia is better for driving. But once you get out and start hiking OnX Hunt is 1000% better than Gaia. It's easier to use and does have more info than Gaia does. At least more info that I can find.

Sure Gaia has hunt zones (now, they didn't have them till relatively recently) But OnX Hunt has (hiking) trail distances, trail slope, the trails are better defined and the trail lables are easier to read, and OnX Hunt also has (private) land ownership information, which I have not found on Gaia.

OnX Offroad is relatively new. I'll hold off on making judgement for now. But OnX Hunt is definately, no question, better than Gaia for that application.
Gaia has private and public land layers.

From 2017: How to Go Hunting with Gaia GPS Map Sources - Gaia GPS

Gaia has over 250 map layers with a Premium subscription. Not all apply to offroad/overlanding or hunting but many do.

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
What OnX is doing better than Gaia is publishing curated content for certain areas. This is relatively new. They are also asking for "trail guides" to help them develop content. What that pays, offers, etc who knows. I have a subscription to Trails Offroad and it is great.

Mil T

Rank I
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

payson Az.
First Name
Mil
Last Name
thornton
I have onx offroad and like it a lot. I have heard that onx hunt does show the same trails etc. that onx offroad does but I am not sure. I would like the feature of having the names of land owners in case you wanted to get across and area with permission. I'm thinking of getting the Gaia app. They have a 5 yr. $60 deal right now. That's pretty good and I 'll have both that way.

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
I have onx offroad and like it a lot. I have heard that onx hunt does show the same trails etc. that onx offroad does but I am not sure. I would like the feature of having the names of land owners in case you wanted to get across and area with permission. I'm thinking of getting the Gaia app. They have a 5 yr. $60 deal right now. That's pretty good and I 'll have both that way.
If you end up getting Gaia you do not need OnX. Gaia has a lot of hunting information at well but since I’m not a hunter I won’t say which is better. If you do 5-yr for $128 with Gaia you get all of the map layers (250 to choose from) and all of the premium features. The difference between standard and premium is explained on the Gaia GPS website. I have a 1 year subscription to OnX for testing purposes and there is no way I would recommend it over Gaia GPS. The current list is too long. I will be writing a review in 2-3 weeks.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
If you end up getting Gaia you do not need OnX. Gaia has a lot of hunting information at well but since I’m not a hunter I won’t say which is better. If you do 5-yr for $128 with Gaia you get all of the map layers (250 to choose from) and all of the premium features. The difference between standard and premium is explained on the Gaia GPS website. I have a 1 year subscription to OnX for testing purposes and there is no way I would recommend it over Gaia GPS. The current list is too long. I will be writing a review in 2-3 weeks.
I will partly agree with @1Louder ... I have the OnX Off Road app, and it’s by far the worst navigation app I have used for Overlanding... OnX Hunt is better suited for the task, but way behind BCN, GAIA, and CalTopo... and that is where I disagree with @1Louder . I have the Premium Subscription to GAIA, and on June 1st I will be cancelling my subscription permanently and spending the extra money on CalTopo. Be watching for a review of CalTopo in September after I have time to dig into the software a bit and play around with features that even GAIA doesn’t offer and refuse to offer.

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
I will partly agree with @1Louder ... I have the OnX Off Road app, and it’s by far the worst navigation app I have used for Overlanding... OnX Hunt is better suited for the task, but way behind BCN, GAIA, and CalTopo... and that is where I disagree with @1Louder . I have the Premium Subscription to GAIA, and on June 1st I will be cancelling my subscription permanently and spending the extra money on CalTopo. Be watching for a review of CalTopo in September after I have time to dig into the software a bit and play around with features that even GAIA doesn’t offer and refuse to offer.
I looked at CalTopo all I can say is good luck. There is a niche feature (seeing APRS data) on the map which you are hoping to get to work. You are also upset that Gaia won’t add that feature and are looking for an alternative. Cool. I think it would have been nice to mention that. I believe you have to run one of the paid versions (start at $20 a year but maybe the Pro version which is $50 a year) I again look forward to your findings. I also believe you are looking to build a specific application for SAR members.

If you get it to work great. I was able to setup a specific call sign and have it show up in the app after telling the app to load the custom map layer I setup online. I have also posted a question to CalTopo to see if you can see all APRS data in an area saved or only specific callsigns.

CalTopo doesn’t have as many map layers as Gaia GPS. Especially if you are outside of the US. It does have a good amount though and way more than the 3 offered in OnX Offroad.

When doing a feature set comparison CalTopo will get a checkbox for that. If someone doesn’t have the desire to run APRS Gaia is a much better app. CalTopo is more expensive as well. It looks like you cannot look for generic APRS broadcasts but have to put in specific callsigns. I wouldn't find that useful. Seeing all APRS data and in this case vehicles like -9 callsigns would be useful. Here's an example someone set up, APRS Test I look forward to your post on that. Hope you get it to work.

Last edited:

Mil T

Rank I
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

payson Az.
First Name
Mil
Last Name
thornton
I've come to the conclusion that there are those of us that are way more technical minded when it comes to GPS and electronic mapping etc. than those of us that are old school map readers and having somewhat minimal GPS related knowledge for being able to know exactly where you are on the map. For world traveling I can understand the need for a much more technical need. But for the average off roader/adventurer here in the US and mostly in areas that we are mostly familiar with, anyone of these web based products will do the trick.

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
I've come to the conclusion that there are those of us that are way more technical minded when it comes to GPS and electronic mapping etc. than those of us that are old school map readers and having somewhat minimal GPS related knowledge for being able to know exactly where you are on the map. For world traveling I can understand the need for a much more technical need. But for the average off roader/adventurer here in the US and mostly in areas that we are mostly familiar with, anyone of these web based products will do the trick.
EDIT: I may have misread your statement as a question when you said "web based". But what I said below may apply.

Web based won’t work because you can’t have offline maps. No internet no map. If you haven’t tried Gaia GPS you can download it for free to try the basic level out. The free version does not have offline maps but you can at least sit in your living room and learn. Do you own an iPhone or an Android phone?

Gaia is the most popular app. Because of that there are many people able to help and many videos on YouTube describing how to use it when overlanding. Then Backcountry Navigator and then a bunch of miscellaneous apps.

If you want something more basic and possibly easier to use then look at the Garmin Overlander. It isn’t as good as many of the apps but you might find it easier. You also pay a heavy cost for that. $699.00 ouch

Last edited:

Rath

Rank IV
Launch Member

Member III

Manitoba, Canada
First Name
Rath
Last Name
Adventures
Member #

Gaia is wonderful. And available in Canada unlike onx offroad.

I have a subscription to Gaia so I can use backroads mapbook maps. Which is fantastic for where I live. Has all the hidden backroads and trails on it that most maps don't show.

Mil T

Rank I
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

payson Az.
First Name
Mil
Last Name
thornton
EDIT: I may have misread your statement as a question when you said "web based". But what I said below may apply.

Web based won’t work because you can’t have offline maps. No internet no map. If you haven’t tried Gaia GPS you can download it for free to try the basic level out. The free version does not have offline maps but you can at least sit in your living room and learn. Do you own an iPhone or an Android phone?

Gaia is the most popular app. Because of that there are many people able to help and many videos on YouTube describing how to use it when overlanding. Then Backcountry Navigator and then a bunch of miscellaneous apps.

If you want something more basic and possibly easier to use then look at the Garmin Overlander. It isn’t as good as many of the apps but you might find it easier. You also pay a heavy cost for that. $699.00 ouch
Yea. I didn't word it correctly. I know about offline etc. I have used a few apps and programs to get me where I want to go. I'm just saying that some people are really smart and want to spend a lot of time finding all the little nuances with a program like Gaia or others where some of us just want to use the app or program for the basic needs such as location etc. Part of the fun of Adventures is finding your way and trying out the unknown. I do use offline maps. OnX, Leadnav, Gaia, google maps etc. I use an iPhone X or an iPad for offline maps and my memory from studying maps to help in my adventures. I've been doing this now for many years and all this new tech is only new to me the past few years. like I said. I learned to navigate by topo maps and still enjoy this type of navigation. As long as the maps are current or have the topo reference that I can use. Sometimes things pop up on older topos' that the new stuff just doesn't show. I have topos' of several state areas in the west and I still look before I head out to see if there is something interesting to explore. I have been known to get into a little trouble at times. My friends and family call them the Thornton adventures. Follow at your own risk. lol.

Reactions: lnye26 and Patrick

Laud

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Southeast Arlington TX
First Name
Laud
Last Name
Maroney
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
-KG5QHC-
Service Branch
Air Force and Army
Playing with it now and hope to provide a few things to do in Texas, Oklahoma and New Mexico. I like to see healthy competition among highly rated programs. We used OnXHunt for info created our Texas Backroad Borders trip for land owner contacts, great tool. The Program is still new to public, I am giving it a chance.

Eric and Gina

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Erving, MA, USA
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Myren
Member #

I'm a "old school map reader" with fairly good basic orientation skills so in most cases I can and done navigate in this way. Yet I find as my horizon broadens technology seems to be the direction I have to go.

Tooch

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Pittsburgh, PA
First Name
Anthony
Last Name
Martucci
Member #

I just paid for a 1 year subscription to onX Offroad (a bit prematurely I think). I've messed with it for an hour or more, but it doesntactually show me.anything as far as trails in the north east...

Laud

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Southeast Arlington TX
First Name
Laud
Last Name
Maroney
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
-KG5QHC-
Service Branch
Air Force and Army
The app is user based. I feel shared routes will start to populate soon with pictures and descriptions. Different regions will have different challenges with lack of public land and land usage restrictions.