Enthusiast III

Canon City, Colorado, United States
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Rains
Member #

Hello all,
I’m interested in getting my ham tech license and would like to get more of an idea as to where to look for study materials and how to get ready for the test. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Reactions: M Rose

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Hello all,
I’m interested in getting my ham tech license and would like to get more of an idea as to where to look for study materials and how to get ready for the test. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Sending a DM.

DRAX

Rank V

Advocate I

Monticello, IL
First Name
Hogan
Last Name
Whittall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W9DRX
When I studied for my tech license I used this - http://www.arrl.org/shop/Ham-Radio-License-Manual - But bought from Amazon, I can't post the Amazon link because the forums keep changing it to a broken image.

And when I decided to study for my general since I had time before taking the test I used hamexam.org to get an idea of the questions that would be asked, researched questions to understand any answers I wasn't able to figure out on my own, and then once I was confident I had the knowledge I would run through the flash cards and sample tests at least a few times a week for the 2 weeks leading up to the exam to stay sharp. I took exams for my Technician and General during the same session and passed both the first time.

J.W.

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Cincinnati
First Name
J
Last Name
W
Member #

hamstudy.org is free to use. Create an account and it will even track your progress. I usually tell people that when you are consistently getting 80% or better on the practice tests, go ahead and schedule your exam. Plus, if you decide to take the exam online, the test will likely be in the same format as hamstudy since the same group developed the online exam tools that most groups are currently using.

Sputnik

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Alameda, Bay Area, CA
First Name
Ethan
Last Name
H.
Member #

hamstudy.org is free to use. Create an account and it will even track your progress. I usually tell people that when you are consistently getting 80% or better on the practice tests, go ahead and schedule your exam. Plus, if you decide to take the exam online, the test will likely be in the same format as hamstudy since the same group developed the online exam tools that most groups are currently using.
Second for hamstudy.org

Reactions: J.W.