Last Name
Stern
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KB7THL
Service Branch
USN Corpsman Veteran
Humm ok

With that said, I have heard I can own a ham radio and listen to the frequencies but, I can't transmit. Is that correct?

If that is correct, what happens if you own a ham radio you listen but ,
on emergency you would use it to transmit without a license?

Bottom line who regulates it and what would be the consequences?

Penalties, fees, fines, jail, prison??
Yes, you can listen all you want to most anything on radio frequency (no cellular phones, no decrypting encrypted transmissions).

Radio frequency usage is regulated in the USA by the FCC. Yes, unlicensed transmissions on a license required frequency can result in fines, jail, confiscation of equipment, potential limitations on current/future licenses.

Transmission in a true emergency is allowed for that true emergency only. Of course being licensed and understanding the radio bands and capabilities of the radio in use improves the odds of actually getting a response in an emergency.

For amateur radio, the license knowledge is really not that hard. For GMRS, the current $75 fee for 10 years really isn't that much. I highly recommend getting one or both licenses.

Line guru

Rank IV

Traveler III

San Jose CA 95123
First Name
Alfredo
Last Name
Garcia
Member #

Humm ok

With that said, I have heard I can own a ham radio and listen to the frequencies but, I can't transmit. Is that correct?
Yes you can own the equipment and listen without a license

Yes you can transmit in an emergency on Amature radio frequencies. An emergency is considered immediate threat of loss of Life, Limb, Eyesight or danger of property damage..

Amateur Radio is self regulated. We as hams monitor for infractions of the regulations and submit infractions to the FCC who then determines what actions are necessary to go forward. You can receive fines, jail time, confiscation of ALL (this includes homes, vehicles, ect) equipment used to commit the infractions. How common are these enforced to the fullest extent of the law? Very rarely, but it does happen. A guy I know is serving 10 years in the FRS pen for a slew of FCC violations, most centered around running illegal amounts of power without a license.

Now the question to ask your self, is it worth the risk? Do I even know where to spin the dial to get help? Do I even know my station is going to work in the event of an emergency?

Without a license you can’t test your equipment to know when and where you have service… it’s very possible to hear a station and not be able to reply back, or even worse transmit and be heard, but not able to hear a response back. But you would never know in a real emergency because you haven’t had the time to practice.

Get your license
:)

I was just curious; I will get my license it's another tool to have when needed.

Thank you for all the enlightening about this topic . Is been much help.

GreyMatter

Rank V

Advocate I

Parole, MD, USA
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Turner
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KC3SVJ
Now how can I get a license?
Can't be that difficult. Is it?
I got my technician license in a week using hamstudy.org to prepare. Do I know all the information someone with a Technician license should know? NOT YET! But I have my ticket, I'm learning, and I can legally talk on some of the amateur bands.

1. Read through all the questions and answers once
2. Use the study mode (flash cards) to improve. Read the "back" of the card for background about each question.
3. Take practice exams as often as you can

You'll know when you're ready.

Line guru

Rank IV

Traveler III

San Jose CA 95123
First Name
Alfredo
Last Name
Garcia
Member #

Humm ok

Yes, you can listen all you want to most anything on radio frequency (no cellular phones, no decrypting encrypted transmissions).

Radio frequency usage is regulated in the USA by the FCC. Yes, unlicensed transmissions on a license required frequency can result in fines, jail, confiscation of equipment, potential limitations on current/future licenses.

Transmission in a true emergency is allowed for that true emergency only. Of course being licensed and understanding the radio bands and capabilities of the radio in use improves the odds of actually getting a response in an emergency.

For amateur radio, the license knowledge is really not that hard. For GMRS, the current $75 fee for 10 years really isn't that much. I highly recommend getting one or both licenses.

I absolutely will work on that.

Sounds like a no brainer to have the proper training and licensing to operate.

Thanks for all the guidance

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
@Line guru , see what I told you in my last reply in our private conversation @GreyMatter confirmed it again. Don’t try to understand all of the information. As you use the radio service you will learn what you need to learn. One thing I have learned in the Ham Community is that every one (for the most part) is more than willing to pass on the information and lessons they have learned.

Sidetrekked Overland

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler III

Possum Kingdom Lake, Texas
First Name
David and Dayna
Last Name
Coston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5NXU GMRS:WROE726
Service Branch
USMC
Is BAOFENG BF-F8HP (UV-5R 3rd Gen) 8-Watt Dual Band Two-Way Radio (136-174MHz VHF & 400-520MHz UHF

Is this radio any good for comms?

My first radio and really don't know where to start ...

Any advice ?
I'm fairly new to the radio world but I bought two BF-F8HP's and am listening to guys a long ways from me talking now. They are cheap so might as well have one (or more) on hand and then start researching what you want for your big purchase/radio. I also bought two gmrs baofeng's last week and got that license as well. Like others have said, if you travel with a group that uses gmrs, the ham radio license won't do you much good when you're with them. My vote is to go ahead and get one. And then get more! :)

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
I'm fairly new to the radio world but I bought two BF-F8HP's and am listening to guys a long ways from me talking now. They are cheap so might as well have one (or more) on hand and then start researching what you want for your big purchase/radio. I also bought two gmrs baofeng's last week and got that license as well. Like others have said, if you travel with a group that uses gmrs, the ham radio license won't do you much good when you're with them. My vote is to go ahead and get one. And then get more! :)
Why spend money on a junky radio… spending money on a Baofeng is like handing out an extra $40.00 at McDonalds for a small fry.

Buy a cheap name brand radio that meets FCC standards for a few dollars more.

Sidetrekked Overland

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler III

Possum Kingdom Lake, Texas
First Name
David and Dayna
Last Name
Coston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5NXU GMRS:WROE726
Service Branch
USMC
Why spend money on a junky radio… spending money on a Baofeng is like handing out an extra $40.00 at McDonalds for a small fry.
Because it's $40 not several hundred for a hobby a person may not even enjoy. They seem fine to me and there are plenty of videos from people with tons of experience who have started with them. Not buying one is like handing out an extra few hundred dollars and hoping you like the fries you just ordered and paid for. (Sorry that's the best I could come up with.)

For me it's working great since I'm fairly new. I can learn and see what I path I want to take in the radio world. I am leaning towards a mobile setup that I could use in the house or in the truck but trying to decide which radio to get is extremely difficult. Kenwood 710, icom 5100, yeasu 400xdr all look tempting. So many cool buttons to push!

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Because it's $40 not several hundred for a hobby a person may not even enjoy. They seem fine to me and there are plenty of videos from people with tons of experience who have started with them. Not buying one is like handing out an extra few hundred dollars and hoping you like the fries you just ordered and paid for. (Sorry that's the best I could come up with.)

For me it's working great since I'm fairly new. I can learn and see what I path I want to take in the radio world. I am leaning towards a mobile setup that I could use in the house or in the truck but trying to decide which radio to get is extremely difficult. Kenwood 710, icom 5100, yeasu 400xdr all look tempting. So many cool buttons to push!
You can get a Yasue FT65R for $89.00 and do the MARS cap mod and have the Large Fry.

Let’s discuss the radios you are looking at… I’m familiar with all of them (meaning I have hands on real life experience), so each one has its pluses and minuses.

The Kenwood 710 is a good overland Coms radio and excellent base station. Full APRS functionality with many extra APRS features, Built in TNC that is usable, 5 user profiles, no need for MARS/CAP mod to receive frequencies outside the amateur bands… Easy access to Echolink.
Cons- price

For general Overlanding the Yasue 400 XDR is a solid choice due to the integration of useful APRS data that doesn’t take away from the dual band capabilities. You can drop POI’s via APRS and any one else running either a YASUE 300 or 400 XDR can see the POIs. You can also see where other hams are located in reference to your location (KJ7UBR is 5 miles Northwest of you), ect, ect. As $35 to the purchase price for the MARS/CAP mod and you can program in receive only GMRS, MURS, Emergency USe FREEQs, ect, ect. Wires X digital FM (the largest Digital Voice Network)
The Draw back to the 400XDR is that the TNC isn’t accessible. More of this to come when I discuss the other radios…

Icom IC5100- it’s the cheapest of all the radios listed. Has lots of neat features (automatic repeater shift is awesome), GPS integration, D-Star Digital Voice And D-PRS. add the external Bluetooth board and you can not only connect to apps to have true APRS, but also import APRS data to mapping software as well. If the 5100 came with a TNC and the Bluetooth board installed for no extra charge, this would be my first choice radio.

Now to the TNC, to me it’s a deal breaker not having one. I use packet radio both in the shack and at home, as well as run digital modes. A TNC is used to convert sound signals into data that a PC can use to run programs to send emails, text messages, photos, and so much more.

I posted each radio in my personal order of which radio I would get if I were to be looking for a dual band radio. Your views might be different… but each is a very capable radio for an off the shelf radio.

NJRadioGuy

Rank V

Influencer II

West Caldwell, NJ, USA
First Name
Peter
Last Name
Dougherty
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W2IRT
Late to the party here, but let me add my two cents as well. GMRS is like a fishing license. You buy it, it's good for 10 years and covers your immediate family. Some very decent quality affordable radios, both mobiles and portables, and if installed well, you'll get great range. But as mentioned earlier, you need to know what the main communications medium will be with your group, and if most of them are hams, then you're going to need your Technician license. The two compliment each other nicely, but the name of the game here is being able to transmit to and receive from everybody in your group as effectively as possible.

The rules are very clear that you cannot legally use a modified ham radio to transmit on GMRS frequencies, but with that said, in all the years I've been Jeeping I don't think anybody cares one iota if you're using a ham rig on GMRS. It's illegal, but nobody will give you a scintilla of grief, just govern yourself accordingly. Heck, on all the trail rides I've been on, I'm the only one who ever identifies with my GMRS callsign!

On the other hand, do not transmit on ham frequencies without a ham license. Enemies are made quickly that way. The tech license is simple to earn (you can do it in a week of memorizing and reading) and it's good for life, provided you renew the license every 10 years. At the moment, getting a ham license is free but it will go up to $35 once the new regs come into force. Get both and you'll be all set.

I operate a Yaesu FTM-400xdr dual band ham radio in my Grand Cherokee, I have a few type-accepted portable GMRS HTs, and an Anytone D878 U/V that has GMRS frequencies programmed in just in case. I'm never lost for comms.

OTH Overland

Local Expert Washington, USA
Investor

Trail Blazer III

Camano Island, WA, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Ballard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N7XQP
Service Branch
Fire/EMS/SAR
I elected to go with both Ham and GMRS licenses, (also old enough to remember when you were supposed to get a license for CB radio lol) Currently using the ICOM IC-2730A in my office and Jeep WJ, and the ICOM ID-5100A in the Ram. I find the 2730 to be on of the best sounding radios I have used to date, good solid basic dual band with a small form factor. The 5100 has a lot more features (which i find don't really get used that much on most trips) but does not pull in distant stations quite as well as the 2730 and I do not love the contrast of the screen. As mentioned the ability to receive non ham bands without modification is a nice bonus. In all my rigs the GMRS and CB are of the all in the microphone style as they do not get used near as much and can just be unplugged from a socket on the dash and stored away when not being used. Ham radios are on all the time. That being said you really can't go wrong with any of the three major brands, I still use an old Yaesu FT470 handheld that refuses to die and plan to add the Kenwood 710 to the jeep as a second radio. Any radio, no matter how much it cost is only as good as it's antenna however.

EBasil

Rank VI

Influencer I

San Diego, CA, USA
First Name
Erik
Last Name
Basil
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6LBE
Okay, let me echo the simple suggestion: get your license. I did, it's not hard.

Now, to the original question that may engender readers to wonder: is that 8-watt Baofang/Baofeng radio "good": YES. The UV5r,and especially *the GT-3TP* are excellent hand-held radios for the money, punching way, way above their weight and cost. The addition of a quarter-wave antenna (about an 18", thick add-on you can purchase from the Radioddity dealer or from Ham Radio Outlet) will really, really punch it up even more. My Scout troop used these radios for backpacking, hiking, travel and HAM activities, extensively.

Ahoward2k

Rank VI

Advocate I

Helena, Alabama, United States
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Howard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
AI5FK
Service Branch
Army retired
Ham technician test is really easy, general is not much harder so might as well study a little more and take both at the same time. That way if you want to jump deeper in the radio pool later on you don't have to study any more.

I have a TYT 9800plus quad band that has done very well with a hood mounted antenna, I routinely hit a repeater from 20 miles away, and hit it from 40+ a few times

DaleRF

Rank VII
Investor

Pioneer II

Sierra Vista Southeast, AZ, USA
First Name
DALE
Last Name
FOLLETTE
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7JDA
Service Branch
US Army CWO (Ret)
Here are some pics of my antenna mounting solution on my Ram. The antenna on the left is for my QUAD Band Radio (TYT TH-9800 Plus), and the antenna on the right is for my GMRS Radio (BTECH Mobile GMRS-50X1).

Antenna Mount I.jpgAntenna Mount II.jpgAntenna Mount III.jpg

DRAX

Rank V

Advocate I

Monticello, IL
First Name
Hogan
Last Name
Whittall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W9DRX
Here are some pics of my antenna mounting solution on my Ram. The antenna on the left is for my QUAD Band Radio (TYT TH-9800 Plus), and the antenna on the right is for my GMRS Radio (BTECH Mobile GMRS-50X1).

View attachment 244723View attachment 244724View attachment 244725
That's a clean setup, just don't plan on using more than one radio at a time (not just TX, but powered on and tuned to the same band as another radio that you plan to TX with). Antennas/radios that operate on the same bands should be at least 1/4 wavelength apart to avoid problems. If your lowest frequency is the 2m band then the 2m/70cm antenna should be roughly 20 inches away from the other antennas that are also operating on the 2m or 70cm bands. Having the antennas that close and multiple radios on the same band is a recipe for actually having one radio damage the others if they're all powered on and on the same band and you're actually transmitting. If all you're doing is RX then no big deal, but if you want to TX then make sure the other radios are powered off or not on the same band. Tuning to a different frequency on the same band isn't sufficient.

DaleRF

Rank VII
Investor

Pioneer II

First Name
DALE
Last Name
FOLLETTE
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7JDA
Service Branch
US Army CWO (Ret)
That's a clean setup, just don't plan on using more than one radio at a time (not just TX, but powered on and tuned to the same band as another radio that you plan to TX with). Antennas/radios that operate on the same bands should be at least 1/4 wavelength apart to avoid problems. If your lowest frequency is the 2m band then the 2m/70cm antenna should be roughly 20 inches away from the other antennas that are also operating on the 2m or 70cm bands. Having the antennas that close and multiple radios on the same band is a recipe for actually having one radio damage the others if they're all powered on and on the same band and you're actually transmitting. If all you're doing is RX then no big deal, but if you want to TX then make sure the other radios are powered off or not on the same band. Tuning to a different frequency on the same band isn't sufficient.
Yes, absolutely! Primarily monitoring. GMRS is my primary TX together w/HH back and forth, but I do have my licenses so I can go onto the 2m/70cm if in a convoy, etc.
I just didn't want antennas all over the Rig. May change over time though...

• Love
Reactions: DRAX

OTH Overland

Local Expert Washington, USA
Investor

Trail Blazer III

Camano Island, WA, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Ballard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N7XQP
Service Branch
Fire/EMS/SAR
Yes, absolutely! Primarily monitoring. GMRS is my primary TX together w/HH back and forth, but I do have my licenses so I can go onto the 2m/70cm if in a convoy, etc.
Seems like if you have just one antenna your fine, once you get two and leave the rig alone long enough in a dark place you will get them sprouting up all over the rig.... Not always a problem,,, just saying.. All of my rigs have ended up with the hedgehog look.

• Haha
Reactions: DaleRF

DaleRF

Rank VII
Investor

Pioneer II

First Name
DALE
Last Name
FOLLETTE
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7JDA
Service Branch
US Army CWO (Ret)
Seems like if you have just one antenna your fine, once you get two and leave the rig alone long enough in a dark place you will get them sprouting up all over the rig.... Not always a problem,,, just saying.. All of my rigs have ended up with the hedgehog look.
Ha! Love it! Hedgehog! :laughing:

NJRadioGuy

Rank V

Influencer II

West Caldwell, NJ, USA
First Name
Peter
Last Name
Dougherty
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W2IRT
Having your antennas that close together defeats the purpose of having two radios installed, especially since it's absolutely trivial to modify the TYT to operate on GMRS (albeit it's against FCC regs to do so but the modification takes seconds to do). At best, transmitting on one will only desense the other, but at worst, transmitting on one risks nuking the front end on the other.

I personally think it would be better to put the second antenna elsewhere on your rig (roof, rear bumper, tailgate swing, etc), and/or replace the GMRS radio with a top-end location-aware Phase-2 digital trunking scanner to monitor public safety bands, while using your TYT to transmit wherever needed. I have my Yaesu FTM-400xdr in the Jeep and an Anytone UV878 handheld (and a digital hotspot) to cover all my comm needs.

Reactions: OTH Overland