Rank IV

Traveler III

San Jose CA 95123
First Name
Alfredo
Last Name
Garcia
Member #

Is BAOFENG BF-F8HP (UV-5R 3rd Gen) 8-Watt Dual Band Two-Way Radio (136-174MHz VHF & 400-520MHz UHF

Is this radio any good for comms?

My first radio and really don't know where to start ...

Any advice ?

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Is BAOFENG BF-F8HP (UV-5R 3rd Gen) 8-Watt Dual Band Two-Way Radio (136-174MHz VHF & 400-520MHz UHF

Is this radio any good for comms?

My first radio and really don't know where to start ...

Any advice ?
What are you wanting to do with the radio?

Line guru

Rank IV

Traveler III

San Jose CA 95123
First Name
Alfredo
Last Name
Garcia
Member #

There is a couple of trips that are coming up, going down to the Mojave desert and Death Valley that I would like to join in.
Some of the requirements the rallies have is to have a radio. I know there are some vehicle mounted radios you can get but, since I am barely starting and don't really know anything about them I was shooting for a budget friendly hand held.
Once I know what I really need I most likely will upgrade.
Issue is I don't have a clue where to start.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
^^^This^^^
@Line guruid you don’t have a license, not a single radio will do you any good…

second there isn’t a such thing as a cheap and good radio… you either get a good radio or you get a cheap radio… for the Mojave project, a HT isn’t going to be very good with out a good mounted antenna.

Since you want a decent (notice I didn’t say good) radio that doesn’t break the bank, look at the TYT dual band radios, talk with @Kent R to see what frequencies they will be running. Also, I know members that are going who will have spare radios to hand out… the only gist is, you have to have a license.

Reactions: thegopac

Line guru

Rank IV

Traveler III

San Jose CA 95123
First Name
Alfredo
Last Name
Garcia
Member #

^^^This^^^
@Line guruid you don’t have a license, not a single radio will do you any good…

second there isn’t a such thing as a cheap and good radio… you either get a good radio or you get a cheap radio… for the Mojave project, a HT isn’t going to be very good with out a good mounted antenna.

Since you want a decent (notice I didn’t say good) radio that doesn’t break the bank, look at the TYT dual band radios, talk with @Kent R to see what frequencies they will be running. Also, I know members that are going who will have spare radios to hand out… the only gist is, you have to have a license.

Thanks for the explanation, I guess I'm getting a good radio then. Cry now but, just cry once right.

Now how can I get a license?
Can't be that difficult. Is it?

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Thanks for the explanation, I guess I'm getting a good radio then. Cry now but, just cry once right.

Now how can I get a license?
Can't be that difficult. Is it?
Incoming DM… I can’t post all my material publicly due to copyright infringement laws… I do have permission to share the information though.

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
It's always great how people here are helping and also answering questions from newcomers to a new topic! I really like that.

Maybe as a small addition to the already given information. In the OB Comms sub-forum you can find a lot of information about this topic and also in the Overland Bound Boot Camp forum e.g. this extensive information here where also the topic license is treated.

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
I’ll muddy the waters a little bit Bjoern,

if your interested in getting your GMRS License, check out:

How To: GMRS - ZA FCC License
Thanks. That is also a good information to read through, I think. I do have my HAM license and if anyobody is interested how to get in Germany/ EU for example I am happy to help.

JeepingMike

Rank V

Advocate II

Greencastle, PA, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Stern
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KB7THL
Service Branch
USN Corpsman Veteran
A key question here, based on the OP's response "Some of the requirements the rallies have is to have a radio ", is what kind of radios is the group(s) using for these trips? I would start with the same type/band/license that they are using and grow capabilities from there. While amateur radio (ham) has many capabilities, it will be useless if the group you're with is using GMRS, or the other way around.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
A key question here, based on the OP's response "Some of the requirements the rallies have is to have a radio ", is what kind of radios is the group(s) using for these trips? I would start with the same type/band/license that they are using and grow capabilities from there. While amateur radio (ham) has many capabilities, it will be useless if the group you're with is using GMRS, or the other way around.
The rallies the OP goes on use both GMRS and Ham.

Reactions: Line guru

Line guru

Rank IV

Traveler III

San Jose CA 95123
First Name
Alfredo
Last Name
Garcia
Member #

That was good info also .. didn't know there was a diference .

When you guys talk about GMRS is that like a CB radio ?

JeepingMike

Rank V

Advocate II

Greencastle, PA, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Stern
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KB7THL
Service Branch
USN Corpsman Veteran

No. CB is unregulated upper HF frequencies. Ham has many options, is licensed by a testing method, most commonly for overland types in the VHF/UHF frequencies. General Mobile Radio Service (GMRS) is specific UHF frequencies and more limitations on power and repeater usage than ham, licensed by a fee and application method. For reference, VHF and UHF are line of site, UHF/GMRS more so.

A "comparison" thread is here GMRS vs. HAM .

Reactions: Boort

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired

Kind of… only thing similar is that GMRS is chanalized like CB… other than that not even close…

GMRS is more powerful than CB (hence the need for a license) GMRS max transmission power is 50 watts where CB is 4 Watts

GMRS is FM while CB is AM

GMRS is UHF while CB is HF

CB no license required, GMRS needs a license

CB is dying and GMRS is just gaining traction

Line guru

Rank IV

Traveler III

San Jose CA 95123
First Name
Alfredo
Last Name
Garcia
Member #

Humm ok

With that said, I have heard I can own a ham radio and listen to the frequencies but, I can't transmit. Is that correct?

If that is correct, what happens if you own a ham radio you listen but ,
on emergency you would use it to transmit without a license?

Bottom line who regulates it and what would be the consequences?

Penalties, fees, fines, jail, prison??

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Humm ok

With that said, I have heard I can own a ham radio and listen to the frequencies but, I can't transmit. Is that correct?
Yes you can own the equipment and listen without a license

If that is correct, what happens if you own a ham radio you listen but ,
on emergency you would use it to transmit without a license?
Yes you can transmit in an emergency on Amature radio frequencies. An emergency is considered immediate threat of loss of Life, Limb, Eyesight or danger of property damage..
Bottom line who regulates it and what would be the consequences?

Penalties, fees, fines, jail, prison??
Amateur Radio is self regulated. We as hams monitor for infractions of the regulations and submit infractions to the FCC who then determines what actions are necessary to go forward. You can receive fines, jail time, confiscation of ALL (this includes homes, vehicles, ect) equipment used to commit the infractions. How common are these enforced to the fullest extent of the law? Very rarely, but it does happen. A guy I know is serving 10 years in the FRS pen for a slew of FCC violations, most centered around running illegal amounts of power without a license.

Now the question to ask your self, is it worth the risk? Do I even know where to spin the dial to get help? Do I even know my station is going to work in the event of an emergency?

Without a license you can’t test your equipment to know when and where you have service… it’s very possible to hear a station and not be able to reply back, or even worse transmit and be heard, but not able to hear a response back. But you would never know in a real emergency because you haven’t had the time to practice.

Get your license