Last Name
Tylosky
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6NIE
Service Branch
Army and Navy
Good morning All,

How many installations can I find out there? Pictures would be great - Under the hood and in the Cab. Lessons learned will be helpful! I will be starting mine soon, I will be installing a FTM-400XDR/DR. Picture is of my antenna install that I am running my Yaesu FT-60 on right now; only 5 watts, going to 50 watts with my new install.

Thanks,
Kirk

Attachments

JohnKeller

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Park City, Utah, United States
First Name
John
Last Name
Keller
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7FIQ
Following. I am in the process of putting a HAM transceiver in my rig. I have also selected the Yaesu 400. Looking at antenna mounts and antennas. Check out Last line of Defense on YouTube. He has a series of videos and the installation.

Reactions: Kirk T and RMCM

JohnKeller

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

First Name
John
Last Name
Keller
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7FIQ
I use a Yaesu FT 1D now and get nice coverage with repeaters. A better antenna and a mount like you have would be sweet. Any issues with the location? My first inclination was to mount it on the hood.

Reactions: Kirk T and RMCM

Graeman

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Catalina Avenue, Tucson, AZ, USA
First Name
Todd
Last Name
Hoffmaster
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7CRJ
Service Branch
Air Force
I just installed my FTM400XDR. The base is mounted on my Overland box behind the front seats. The head unit is up on the center storage area with velcro currently. Just installed it last week. I will have to get some pictures of everything tomorrow.

Reactions: Kirk T

JohnKeller

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

First Name
John
Last Name
Keller
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7FIQ
Outstanding. Clever placement out of the way. I recall the space as I ran the cable for the HiKit through there. Gives easy access to the SPod under the hood for power and the antenna cable.

Rjsnodgrass

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Port Orchard, WA, USA
First Name
RJ
Last Name
Snodgrass
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7FSQ
Outstanding. Clever placement out of the way. I recall the space as I ran the cable for the HiKit through there. Gives easy access to the SPod under the hood for power and the antenna cable.
Yes. Install was pretty easy. I ended up getting a cable extension for the mic so it wasn’t so limited. Very happy with it.

Kirk T

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Palmdale, CA, USA
First Name
Kirk
Last Name
Tylosky
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6NIE
Service Branch
Army and Navy
Following. I am in the process of putting a HAM transceiver in my rig. I have also selected the Yaesu 400. Looking at antenna mounts and antennas. Check out Last line of Defense on YouTube. He has a series of videos and the installation.
What year make and model do you have? My Jeep comes pre wired with 4 switches, but I might take everything all the way to the battery. Undecided at this point.

Kirk T

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Palmdale, CA, USA
First Name
Kirk
Last Name
Tylosky
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6NIE
Service Branch
Army and Navy
I use a Yaesu FT 1D now and get nice coverage with repeaters. A better antenna and a mount like you have would be sweet. Any issues with the location? My first inclination was to mount it on the hood.
I have had no issues. I really like my Diamond a teens and how it folds over if need be. I am only putting 5 watts through it now with my handheld. I might move it further away from my head when I start putting 50 watts through it. Haha.

Kirk T

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Palmdale, CA, USA
First Name
Kirk
Last Name
Tylosky
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6NIE
Service Branch
Army and Navy
I just installed my FTM400XDR. The base is mounted on my Overland box behind the front seats. The head unit is up on the center storage area with velcro currently. Just installed it last week. I will have to get some pictures of everything tomorrow.
I look forward to the pictures

Kirk T

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Palmdale, CA, USA
First Name
Kirk
Last Name
Tylosky
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6NIE
Service Branch
Army and Navy
I’m loving my FTM400. I put the base under the passenger seat and the head is above the rear view mirror. Very clean and out of the way.
How did you get your head unit to stay in that location?

Matt_S

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Austin, TX
Member #

What year make and model do you have? My Jeep comes pre wired with 4 switches, but I might take everything all the way to the battery. Undecided at this point.
I have the tow package with the 4 switches as well in my 2018 JLUR. I used the interior wiring loom and have power running off of 1 as I read it's rated for 40A. I've had a Kenwood TM-D710G installed since last September and have had no issues with it. Attached a couple of pictures to show where I installed the head for the radio and the antenna.

I never had to drill or modify anything to run the cable from the radio to the antenna. The radio body is located to the left of where the clutch would be. If I had to do the install again I think I would have placed the body in a different location. I had to do some crazy contortions to get everything installed and feel like I made it more difficult than it needed to be. For the antenna mount I fed the cable up through the gap between the Jeep body and fender, probably similar to what you did. Used a Ram Mount X-Grip attached to a Carolina Metal Masters Grab Bar Ball Mount. May not have been the cheapest solution but it was the quickest I had found before going on a trip.

Attachments

Kirk T

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Palmdale, CA, USA
First Name
Kirk
Last Name
Tylosky
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6NIE
Service Branch
Army and Navy
I would mount on my roof but not practical and not metal. I am pretty sure I will be moving mine like I see that my brothers and sisters in Australia do. I am nervous about pumping out 50 watts that close to my head.

Reactions: Sparksalot