Michael
Last Name
Lee
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YKV
Service Branch
Army & Marine Corps
How are you liking the FTM-400DXR? I'm looking at that same radio. Did you do the install yourself or is there a shop you used in Sacramento?
I love mine, installed it myself! It works great, still figuring out everything it does!

Reactions: whiskey7backroads

Jillsogw

Rank V

Explorer I

Sacramento, CA
First Name
Gary
Last Name
Jillson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6GWJ
How are you liking the FTM-400DXR? I'm looking at that same radio. Did you do the install yourself or is there a shop you used in Sacramento?
I did the install myself, after some research.

I have a 99 Tahoe. Put an nmo mount on the roof. There is easy access taking the inside roof console off. Ran the coax down the B pillar. Mounted the radio to the transmission hump.

I had installed a fuse/relay block indef the rear seat. Got my power from there

Jillsogw

Rank V

Explorer I

Sacramento, CA
First Name
Gary
Last Name
Jillson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6GWJ
I did the install myself, after some research.

I have a 99 Tahoe. Put an nmo mount on the roof. There is easy access taking the inside roof console off. Ran the coax down the B pillar. Mounted the radio to the transmission hump.

I had installed a fuse/relay block indef the rear seat. Got my power from there
So far I like the radio. Don’t really have any experience to compare it to though.

What are you wanting to mount it in?

Citizen Rob

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Stockton, CA, USA
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YSM
So far I like the radio. Don’t really have any experience to compare it to though.

What are you wanting to mount it in?
2016 Tacoma. Waffling between the Yaesu and the Kenwood. Not sure if I want to punch a hole in the roof so for now I am going to mount the antenna on my bed rack. Not sure about how that will affect my ground plane. I'm also a little concerned about height as I travel a bit into SF and utilize the parking garages.

RyanC

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Pinckney, MI
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1RAC
2016 Tacoma. Waffling between the Yaesu and the Kenwood. Not sure if I want to punch a hole in the roof so for now I am going to mount the antenna on my bed rack. Not sure about how that will affect my ground plane. I'm also a little concerned about height as I travel a bit into SF and utilize the parking garages.
I put my antenna on my front bumper. If you find a half wave antenna, they are not dependent on ground plane. They cost a bit more though because they have a matching network in the base. A good ground plane does make them better but without a good ground plane I'm having no issues receiving or being heard.

Reactions: Citizen Rob

Jillsogw

Rank V

Explorer I

Sacramento, CA
First Name
Gary
Last Name
Jillson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6GWJ
I'm about 8'4", only know as I scrape a little in the parking garage at 8'2". My antenna is 27" or 29" (I believe 1/4 wave). I've been able to get 33 mile very clear reception.

I did the roof mount due to a better ground plane. I also have an NMO rain cap, I take off the antenna if I know I'm not going to be using it.

whiskey7backroads

Rank VI
Launch Member

Endurance II

Olympia Washington
First Name
Brent
Last Name
Conklin
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7BR
Friday nights at 5:30 PCT. There is a rally point with details and sticky at top of communications thread. On echolink

12poundtest

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Edmonds WA
First Name
Ed
Last Name
Sershon
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N7PHY
Reactions: TerryD

Magic Mike

US Full-time/Long Term Travel Ambassador
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Rapid City, South Dakota, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Lee
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YKV
Service Branch
Army & Marine Corps
Just got my Technicians license. KM6ZPJ. I have no clue about how to operate my equipment. Looking forward to finding myself an Elmer to show me the ropes.
Great job on getting your license. Check Rally points and you’ll find that every Friday at 1730 (5:30pm) we have our OB Ham Net! It’s fun and you get to talk to Hams from all over!

See you there KM6YKV

Reactions: TRED LYT and TerryD

whiskey7backroads

Rank VI
Launch Member

Endurance II

Olympia Washington
First Name
Brent
Last Name
Conklin
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7BR
Just got my Technicians license. KM6ZPJ. I have no clue about how to operate my equipment. Looking forward to finding myself an Elmer to show me the ropes.
Congrats. What do you have for equipment? Look at Echolink and download it on a computer or phone. Go thru process of setting it up which sounds confusing but not so much. If you have problems there is a boot camp article on how to do it. Once you get it up and running you can join the NET on Fridays and we can help with just about anything. Let me know if I can help in any way Brent KJ7BHN

Reactions: TerryD and TRED LYT

TRED LYT

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Laguna Beach, CA
First Name
Richard
Last Name
Sherman
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6ZPJ
Congrats. What do you have for equipment? Look at Echolink and download it on a computer or phone. Go thru process of setting it up which sounds confusing but not so much. If you have problems there is a boot camp article on how to do it. Once you get it up and running you can join the NET on Fridays and we can help with just about anything. Let me know if I can help in any way Brent KJ7BHN
I will give this a whirl. I have both a hand held as well as a unit mounted in my rig. I bought both from HRO. Yaesu is the brand. Apparently I have good equipment, but it seems complicated to me. I’ll definitely try to find you guys. Sounds like fun!

whiskey7backroads

Rank VI
Launch Member

Endurance II

Olympia Washington
First Name
Brent
Last Name
Conklin
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7BR
I will give this a whirl. I have both a hand held as well as a unit mounted in my rig. I bought both from HRO. Yaesu is the brand. Apparently I have good equipment, but it seems complicated to me. I’ll definitely try to find you guys. Sounds like fun!
Try talking to a local club and see if somebody would help. I did that and learned more from an Elmer in ten minutes then I did from reading books for hours. I also have Yaesu so I might be able to help. I have an FTM400 in my Earthcruiser and a FX70 Handheld.