HAM Radio Call Sign Check-In Thread

• HTML tutorial

markwths

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Wodonga, Australia
Member #

I have both of my local repeaters in my mobile rig. What I'm having issues with is HF, I'm mostly trying on 20m and 40m. Those seem to be what I can hear most activity on. I'm getting the parts together to try an end-fed wire, maybe that will open up some possibilities for making contacts.

There was a thread that determined that 146.460mhz I think it was is the official OB 2m frequency. There were also GMRS and CB channels and I think an FRS channel selected to cover the major communication options most members will have.

I do think it would be fun to have some HF frequencies selected as well though.
Yes some Ham HF frequencies would be great. 80 and 40 mtrs, 20 and 10 mtrs so international hams members can use as well and hopefully will
hook up around the world and share their experiences live, Travelling through the deserts or camping in the high country.
We can implement the same frequencies in Australia. 146.460 is fine for Australia. 146.425 - 146.600 is allocated as FM SIMPLEX frequenies (25 kHz channels). Your CB channel 16 we can use for our UHF CB (477.000mhz) which is more used widely in Australia than the 27mhz CB in 4WD's

Keep in mind you need to have some HF frequencies in common with the classes of licences not just for the advance licences.

I have attached an Australian Band plan if anyone is interested.

Cheers

Mark
VK3ASC

Attachments

Reactions: KC2BUN and KD7WCD

ru108

Rank V

Traveler II

Prairieville, LA
First Name
Shane
Last Name
Tindall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K5TIN
Service Branch
USN
I just got a new(to me) ICOM IC2200H that I need to figure out LoL
I feel your pain! The Yaesu really isn't too bad as far as setup, programming and use. It's just the fact that I haven't messed with anything Ham related since I was a kid watching my dad and granddad working with tube and crystal sets. I'm a retired first responder, so repeater and simplex use are no brainers. My major issue at this point is trying to figure out the digital modes (D-star, etc) so I can talk long range. I'm only a Tech right now, so HF is pretty much out unless I want to re-learn CW, which I haven't used since Boy Scouts several decades ago. I'll eventually upgrade to General, but that won't be until I get enough extra funds (and permission, lol) to buy a good HF rig.

Reactions: KC2BUN

SW_UT_FJ

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Hurricane, UT
First Name
Russ
Last Name
Wright
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KA7HOS
Anyone playing with D-Star? My local D-Star repeaters have been down so I’ve been using a Pi-Star hotspot to access the reflectors.

RyanC

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Pinckney, MI
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1RAC
024C is how I'm set up but I have no idea what I'm doing on D-Star.

SW_UT_FJ

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Hurricane, UT
First Name
Russ
Last Name
Wright
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KA7HOS
024C is how I'm set up but I have no idea what I'm doing on D-Star.
I’m still learning as well...just a couple weeks In myself. If you’re up for a contact on that reflector let me know. I’ll be up for another hour or so, just watching the NYY/OAK MLB game.

Richard Derr

Rank II

Enthusiast II

Kent, WA, USA
First Name
Richard
Last Name
Derr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
k5rkd
Service Branch
US AIR FORCE
Checking in as K5RKD, Kilo 5 Romero, Kilo, Delta.
3 ALINCO DR-638T, 1 YAESU FT-2900, 1 ICOM-7200, 1 YAESU FT857D, 1 WOUXUN KG-UV6D V2, 1 ICOM IC-A14, 1 ICOM IC-T70A, 1 BAOFENG UV-5R V2+, 1 BAOFENG UV-5RE. The reason for such a collection is Search & Rescue with base station, mobile field truck and field radios.

RyanC

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Pinckney, MI
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1RAC
Checking in as K5RKD, Kilo 5 Romero, Kilo, Delta.
3 ALINCO DR-638T, 1 YAESU FT-2900, 1 ICOM-7200, 1 YAESU FT857D, 1 WOUXUN KG-UV6D V2, 1 ICOM IC-A14, 1 ICOM IC-T70A, 1 BAOFENG UV-5R V2+, 1 BAOFENG UV-5RE. The reason for such a collection is Search & Rescue with base station, mobile field truck and field radios.
I'm enamored with the IC-7200 for some reason but the 7100 has the form factor and features that I'm looking for.

RyanC

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Pinckney, MI
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1RAC
I’m still learning as well...just a couple weeks In myself. If you’re up for a contact on that reflector let me know. I’ll be up for another hour or so, just watching the NYY/OAK MLB game.
Sorry I missed you, I was already in bed that night.

Reactions: SW_UT_FJ