Tempe, AZ, USA
First Name
Jayson
Last Name
Adamsen
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD7WCD
There has been talk about it. I think it would just take a person or two to be able to commit some time to being the Net control to get it going.

Maybe be easier to start out with an on air event or two like a weekend round up or "contest".

Sent from my XT1650 using OB Talk mobile app

HappyOurOverlanding

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Verdi Nevada
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7RAM
Has anyone thought of having a Overland Bound Radio Net on HF, or even on one of the Digital mode's EG D-Star.
Can be weekly or monthly.

Cheers
Mark
VK3ASC
For us newbies to Ham world, can you explain a bit more of what the net would entail? Are you looking at a broadcast, contest, or other? Thanks in advance for helping me understand. ...KI7RAM

Sent from my SM-G960U using OB Talk mobile app

Jedi

Rank VI
Staff member
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Arlington, WA, USA
First Name
Brie
Last Name
McClory
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6JDI
A net is kind of like a virtual meet-up or club meeting. They will start with a check in by net members. Many times they will have a specific agenda with reports by different net members.

Reactions: HappyOurOverlanding

HappyOurOverlanding

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Verdi Nevada
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7RAM
A net is kind of like a virtual meet-up or club meeting. They will start with a check in by net members. Many times they will have a specific agenda with reports by different net members.
Thanks. So instead of vid conferencing, it's Ham Radio conferencing on a specific frequency at a specific time....

Prerunner1982

Local Expert, Oklahoma USA
Launch Member

Member III

Navina, Oklahoma
First Name
Jon
Last Name
B
Member #

Thanks. So instead of vid conferencing, it's Ham Radio conferencing on a specific frequency at a specific time....
Right. Some nets are a round table discussion where each person gets a chance to speak either on a specific topic or about their day or whatever. Some nets are info nets where people check in and then the net control or anyone with information (aka traffic) has a chance to give out their information. It could be testing dates, events, club meeting dates/times, etc. Some nets even allow people to sell their ham radio equipment.

WareWolf MoonWall

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Green Country, OK
First Name
WareWolf
Last Name
MoonWall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Direct Message Me..
Has anyone thought of having a Overland Bound Radio Net on HF, or even on one of the Digital mode's EG D-Star.
Can be weekly or monthly.

Cheers
Mark
VK3ASC
That could be cool. I would love to play with dstar more, but that might not allow for too many people to participate.

Sent from my ZTE A2017U using OB Talk mobile app

markwths

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Wodonga, Australia
Member #

That could be cool. I would love to play with dstar more, but that might not allow for too many people to participate.

What we can do to start with is maybe set a few frequencies and call them the OB calling frequencies. Eg 28.333mhz, 14.283 mhz, 7.0123mhz. 146.600mhz etc. what ever works for you guys over there. Putting in some HF frequencies would allow some international members to call in and participate when the condition allow.

RyanC

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Pinckney, MI
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1RAC
K1RAC checking in. Relatively new Ham here. Just got my General ticket add at Dayton this year. Still trying to learn how to use my IC-7300. I'm using an alpha portable vertical antenna because I cannot put up a permanent antenna outside and that's what I take with me when I camp. My first and only contact so far was W1AW two weekends ago. I felt pretty lucky to get that one but other than that I'm having the same luck I do when fishing. No-one is biting.
Any advice? Or just keep calling CQ?

Sent from my SM-G920V using OB Talk mobile app

markwths

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Wodonga, Australia
Member #

K1RAC checking in. Relatively new Ham here. Just got my General ticket add at Dayton this year. Still trying to learn how to use my IC-7300. I'm using an alpha portable vertical antenna because I cannot put up a permanent antenna outside and that's what I take with me when I camp. My first and only contact so far was W1AW two weekends ago. I felt pretty lucky to get that one but other than that I'm having the same luck I do when fishing. No-one is biting.

Try one of the live DX spot reporting websites like https://www.qrz.com/dxcluster
This can help you to find out which bands are open and other stations that are calling cq around the world.

WareWolf MoonWall

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Green Country, OK
First Name
WareWolf
Last Name
MoonWall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Direct Message Me..

I don't have any fancy or powerful antenna to get me out far with my HT, so I went after repeaters.

I downloaded repeater book to my phone, and then loaded up some of the local repeater freqs to find people. From where I live and travel, I almost always find people on the Peak repeater network that goes up and down I-5. I also find more chatter during the rush hour time frame, seems like many people around here use them over listening to music on their commutes.

Repeater Book is nice because it will use your location to update the nearest freqs as you travel.

I also just happened to know of a couple of nets in the area from my HAM classes when I was getting licensed, and from my volunteering with the local CERT team.

WareWolf MoonWall

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Green Country, OK
First Name
WareWolf
Last Name
MoonWall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Direct Message Me..
What we can do to start with is maybe set a few frequencies and call them the OB calling frequencies. Eg 28.333mhz, 14.283 mhz, 7.0123mhz. 146.600mhz etc. what ever works for you guys over there. Putting in some HF frequencies would allow some international members to call in and participate when the condition allow.
It would be interesting to see what can be done. My guess is that many folks here have 5w HTs, so 2m/70cm will be the majority of users unless using a echolink or decent repeater network (like Peak that goes up and down I-5 corridor) to carry the signal.

May have to try and rig something up regionally to take advantage of repeaters etc rather than try and get something on a larger scale. The guys that already push long range probably already do so and would be able to hop into anything.

RyanC

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Pinckney, MI
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1RAC
I don't have any fancy or powerful antenna to get me out far with my HT, so I went after repeaters.

I downloaded repeater book to my phone, and then loaded up some of the local repeater freqs to find people. From where I live and travel, I almost always find people on the Peak repeater network that goes up and down I-5. I also find more chatter during the rush hour time frame, seems like many people around here use them over listening to music on their commutes.

Repeater Book is nice because it will use your location to update the nearest freqs as you travel.

I also just happened to know of a couple of nets in the area from my HAM classes when I was getting licensed, and from my volunteering with the local CERT team.

I have both of my local repeaters in my mobile rig. What I'm having issues with is HF, I'm mostly trying on 20m and 40m. Those seem to be what I can hear most activity on. I'm getting the parts together to try an end-fed wire, maybe that will open up some possibilities for making contacts.

There was a thread that determined that 146.460mhz I think it was is the official OB 2m frequency. There were also GMRS and CB channels and I think an FRS channel selected to cover the major communication options most members will have.

I do think it would be fun to have some HF frequencies selected as well though.

KD7WCD

Rank VI
Founder 500
Investor

Influencer I

Tempe, AZ, USA
First Name
Jayson
Last Name
Adamsen
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD7WCD
I have both of my local repeaters in my mobile rig. What I'm having issues with is HF, I'm mostly trying on 20m and 40m. Those seem to be what I can hear most activity on. I'm getting the parts together to try an end-fed wire, maybe that will open up some possibilities for making contacts.

There was a thread that determined that 146.460mhz I think it was is the official OB 2m frequency. There were also GMRS and CB channels and I think an FRS channel selected to cover the major communication options most members will have.

I do think it would be fun to have some HF frequencies selected as well though.
Which tread is that?

Sent from my XT1650 using OB Talk mobile app

RyanC

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Pinckney, MI
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1RAC
Last edited:

brien

Sonoran Space Program
Staff member

Off-Road Ranger I

Tucson, AZ
First Name
Brien
Last Name
Wankel
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K7XPO

RyanC

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Pinckney, MI
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1RAC
FYI: GMRS and FRS channels are the same. So if you have FRS radios, you can communicate with GMRS Channel 15 as well
Good point. I didn't think about it at all and just assumed it was a GMRS specific channel. That's what happens when I assume...lol.