Archtop67

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

West Palm Beach Florida
Member #

I JUST CANT DO IT CAPTN! SHE DONT HAVE THE POWWERRRR :joycat:

Actually Im leaning towards the Kenwood TMD-710G. or a
Yaesu FTM-400XDR,.. those are getting quite expensive so that would be my max and maybe a little too much... i really want to be able to do ARPS .. i could start out a little less if anyone has any input and build up to one of these...ill still need antenna and mount

Archtop67

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

West Palm Beach Florida
Member #

haha yup... ive been ready to take general class for many years but kept putting it off since i hadnt had allot of time last few years to talk.. business comes first and all these new tv series! haha how terrible to admit that! well Im weening myself off of action scifi tv series ( soap operas in desguise) at least some! lol When I moved here from Texas to south florida and my buddy who is an Extra Class moved to Oklahoma I didnt know anyone around here and I had a 5 fingers steal my icom HT I was left with nothing but sadness! but all is good now!

Archtop67

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

West Palm Beach Florida
Member #

I actually bought a dual band mobile rig but it sat in my condo for a year or 2 and I ended up selling it and my spare time was doing all the needed service on my landy i just bought and it was kind of neglected... not too bad but I do all the work myself so time was a factor...

Prerunner1982

Local Expert, Oklahoma USA
Launch Member

Member III

Navina, Oklahoma
First Name
Jon
Last Name
B
Member #

I run a Kenwood TS-480sat and like it. The control head is a bit larger than most mobile HF radios but it is not as menu driven. I have looked at the Icom IC-7100 as well, it was recently on sale for $769 but I didn't pull the trigger on it. I am not a fan of the control head design on the 7100 but for the price I could learn to deal with it.
I have a friend that runs the Yaesu FT-891 and likes it.

Archtop67

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

West Palm Beach Florida
Member #

those look really nice! a little over my current budget but I needed to jump back in with something ! being in a storm area and being from storm country Ive always fancied APRS and Skywarn events... when I initially bought this Disco i started kitting it out to be a storm chaser vehicle but went another way.. for awhile but still have some interest.. even if its just occasional fun.. the storms usually in South Florida are more fun than scary unlike back in Oklahoma and Texas were it just got SERIOUS! lol

HA! after looking up the Kenwood TS-480sat i know my next upgrade! lol

Last edited:

Archtop67

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

West Palm Beach Florida
Member #

I was just reading about how I can use a HF base station base , linked to my mobile 710G allowing me to do HF while mobile within reach of the Home base signal... thats kind of cool! im going to go ahead in a few weeks and take some friends to get their Amateur HAM license and ill go ahead and take my General test.. after re-faliliarizing myself to the bandwidths Im allowed and the test isnt that difficult for me really.. its a no brainer... plus will look good for the others taking their Technicians test to consider the upgrade... the test changes for Technician end up June so Im trying to get them in there before that since we have the study material ready to go...

Archtop67

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

West Palm Beach Florida
Member #

what a mental workout! Im going for my General License Exam on June 2nd.. on hamstudy.org im at an 82% retention .. some of the questions are tricky to remember of you rush or skim through of the 500 question pool... where some are ALMOST right so I just have to just take time.. a few days off and on study but ive passed a few in a row over 80% of the practice exams ! still its allot to read and re-read and re-re-read ! i don't remember 25 years ago Technicians Exam being that difficult...

Reactions: HappyOurOverlanding

brien

Sonoran Space Program
Staff member

Off-Road Ranger I

Tucson, AZ
First Name
Brien
Last Name
Wankel
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K7XPO
ive passed a few in a row over 80% of the practice exams
dude, you got this. if you are already getting over 80% on practice exams, just keep doing what you're doing. run a couple more tests tomorrow and maybe one or two if there's time before your test on Saturday and you should have no problem. Good luck! Then you'll be on to EXTRA! That's when the mental workouts really step it up a few notches!

Reactions: Neal A. Tew

Archtop67

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

West Palm Beach Florida
Member #

IM going to start on EXTRA while im in the zone! but no rush now.. just going to study one element at a time and in about 10 weeks I should easily have it... I have til 2020 before this text changes for Extra Class!