JBear223

Rank II

Enthusiast III

California
First Name
John
Last Name
Behrens
I finally got to test some of my equipment this last weekend. I have an Engel 45, GZ 400 lithium, GZ 12v regulator cable (needed as gz400 12v output can’t operate a fridge) and a GZ 100w folding solar panel.
The Yeti lasted far longer than expected, I was able to charge in up during the day. Run it down to 60% at night with lights and entertainment and it was still above 40% running the fridge till the morning.
I decided to fully charge up the Yeti when I got home and leave it connected to the Engel as long as I could.
Well, it has been 48 hours, Yeti is at 50% with the fridge between 37-40dg.
It is cool with average temps in the 50-60 range.
It will be interesting doing this test during the summer.

overland.productions

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler III

Heath, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Rayne
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5ENL
I like my GZ400 Yeti Lith. It's compact. It's convenient. It's loaded with features. I started using mine about 8 months ago. It's great for short trips. I find it difficult to be stationary for 3 days in a row and still keep it charged with solar panels. i also have the GZ briefcase 100 for charging.

When I travel the GZ Yeti is plugged into the 110 outlet in my Jeep. This outlet charges the Yeti while I drive. This way I can deplete it at night and then it will charge back up during the day while I travel.

I can also unplug the fridge (Dometic CFX40) from the GZ Yeti and let the fridge run on the 12v outlet in the Jeep as well. This way there is no draw on the GZ and it will charge faster.

There always seems to be a shady day when I'm charging with solar. I use the 12v outlet in the Jeep that has constant power without the ignition on (Rubicon) as a backup plan while I work on my onboard aux power battery setup.

I do feel that the GZ Yeti has diminished in capacity over the course of ownership. Not enough to warranty but it's noticeable. I do keep it plugged in at home as it helps longevity for Lithium batteries to stay topped off.

If I did it all over again I would get the 1000 or 1400. The 400 is cool but just wont keep up with my demands. I'll keep it around for electronics, powering my RTT, my coffee grinder, etc. The fridge will run on the aux battery setup moving forward.

diabetiktaco

Local Expert New Jersey, USA
Launch Member

Explorer I

Marlboro Township, NJ, USA
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Beauchea
Member #

What your doing didn't work for me and the power pack died pretty quickly in the summer. I don't have a goal zero, I have the Lion Energy pack which is pretty powerful. I decided to switch it up and I'm going to use a hood mounted solar panel wired to my 94R AGM battery so it's always charging. I have my SnoMaster 42TR hooked to a plug which I installed which is direct to the battery also. I THINK this will work much better. It's a 90w solar panel and once the snomaster is up to temp it's pretty efficient. We'll see though.

JBear223

Rank II

Enthusiast III

California
First Name
John
Last Name
Behrens
I will say that the Yeti does worry me in high temps, though I try not to camp in 100+ heat. It wouldn't charge anything in 110+ Mojave heat in August of last year. I would still like to look into a stronger more reliable/heat stable system.
But I have an open bed F150, makes things a bit more complicated. I just wanted to post that in moderate/cool temps this unit really surprised me, 2 days and still at 50% was far more than expected.

Reactions: diabetiktaco