Steward I

Lancaster, PA, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Wright
Member #

Hi OB,

I have a 2010 Lexus GX460 that has a 2.5" Daystar level kit installed with aftermarket wheels and tires. I bought it this way. Have owned it for about 2 years now, and done some light trails. I noticed today that the tire appears to be rubbing on the upper control arm when at full turn and when suspension is compressed (both sides). You can see in the pic where the paint is worn off. My question is about the use of a wheel spacer - good idea/bad idea, what size? what brand? other advice?

I've attached a before/after wheel tire analysis using Alloy Wheel & Tyre Fitment Calculator. Offset, Tyre Stretch and Speedo Error | Will They Fit

I really don't want to change the tires to 31" or rims with a different offset as that would be expensive and may also change the look of the vehicle. Hoping to hear of someone else's success with a similar experience.

Update: I have determined that the stock wheels on a 2010 GX460 had an offset of 52mm. The wheels on my truck appear to have a -12mm (originally, I thought they were 1mm as show in the analysis). Confused as to why i am still rubbing. The wheels and tires are wider than stock, but the offset was changed (pushed out by 64mm, right?

Thanks

-- John

Attachments

Last edited:

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
You would be surprised how many tires are completely diffrent heights and widths compared to advertised. There is no standard for where the tire manufacture measures the size from. You can put the same size tire and type from diffrent manufactures, on the same rim and their only "close" to the same size. Calculators only get you close to what you need. Also the more aggressive the sidewall the wider the tire tends to be, or not.

Most of the bad press that people discuss comes from the shim type not the thicker bolt in type. The smallest bolt in type I've seen is ~3/4 inch (~20mm). The stress on the hub and bearing, is the same whether you move the wheel out with a spacer or rim offset.

Some manufactures will advertise their spacer is hub centric but considering there isn't a standard for the actual size, the only way you can get this to fit properly is to buy an assortment of shim/rings to make it fit properly. BTW, your aftermarket rims don't fit tight on the stock hub centric unless your very lucky or shimmed it your self. You would also be surprised how many factory rims don't actually fit the hub tight (Germán cars excepted). Your lug nuts center everything anyway. Install the spacer by snugging the lug nuts first to center the spacer and torque in two steps (20# then normal torque). This way when you install the rim you know their both centered.

I have only installed 1 inch spacers twice in my life on my vehicles, helped with several and have watched spacers for years on other vehicles. These are vehicles that were driven very hard, none of them were legal race vehicles though, just toys. The largest spacers I saw was two 2" stacked to 4" running 37" tires on a TJ. He was not easy on this rig and didn't break anything due to the spacer. The only issues I ever saw were induced by the owner.

As I stated before, the stress on the hub and bearing is the same but I always recommend not moving the tire out more than 1" (25mm) out from stock whether its from spacer or rim off set. The biggest reason is the leverage and stress on the bearings which we increase just by increasing tire size/weight.

Reactions: jwright

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
Your going to have to measure. Have someone slowly turn and see when it starts to hit then see how much farther you have to full lock. If it hits near the end of your turning, you may be able to adjust your steering stops some (If adjustable). If you do that you will lose some turning radius but, your already hitting and effecting it anyway.

jwright

Rank VI

Steward I

Lancaster, PA, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Wright
Member #

Your going to have to measure. Have someone slowly turn and see when it starts to hit then see how much farther you have to full lock. If it hits near the end of your turning, you may be able to adjust your steering stops some (If adjustable). If you do that you will lose some turning radius but, your already hitting and effecting it anyway.
Thanks. I am worried about the tire hitting the fender during articulation after I push the tire out with a spacer. Wonder if I can use a floor jack to see how much clearance I have to work with...

jwright

Rank VI

Steward I

Lancaster, PA, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Wright
Member #

OK, I believe I want a 1" spacer. After some research, Spidertrax only offers a 1.25" which may be too much. I wanted to go with Spidertrax because of their reputation, but they do not offer a 1". Found other brands like BORA, Mishimoto Borne, and KSP. KSP are far less expensive (1/3 the price on amazon), but look well made. The Mishimoto Borne have 12.9 studs instead of 10.9 (sold via summit racing),

Anyone have brand suggestions for me? Something I may have missed or do you have a preference & why? Thanks!!