Launch Member

Traveler III

Dacono, CO, USA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Dean
Member #

@jason, So are you guys just reserving sites where ever you can get them in the campground?

Has anyone expressed interest in camping on the Medano Pass Road?
I reserved 3 campsites early on when i knew a few were committing to go. That’s why I posted that the sites in the campground reserve quickly if people want to camp there. I haven’t looked lately to see if anything is open still. After Carlo and I drove around Idaho Springs looking for dispersed sites for 2 hours after a long day, we decided we wanted to know there was a spot to camp down there.

Neal A. Tew

US Rocky Mountain Local Expert
Mod Team

Member III

Pueblo West, CO
First Name
Neal
Last Name
Tew
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N1TEW
I reserved 3 campsites early on when i knew a few were committing to go. That’s why I posted that the sites in the campground reserve quickly if people want to camp there. I haven’t looked lately to see if anything is open still. After Carlo and I drove around Idaho Springs looking for dispersed sites for 2 hours after a long day, we decided we wanted to know there was a spot to camp down there.
I'm not at all trying to talk you out of staying in the park. I was just wondering if any others had expressed an interest in camping on or near the pass road.

Zappe

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Dacono, CO, USA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Dean
Member #

I can’t remember who asked about dispersed sites along the trail but that could certainly be an option. I’m not sure how it would work with the meet point to start down by the campground but I’m sure we could stop for people that need to claim a campsite if they find one. We should have time to do some else like you suggested before like Pass Creek Pass or Hayden Pass after Medano Pass.

trail_runn4r

US Rocky Mtn. Local Expert. Colorado: Denver Area

Pathfinder III

Denver, CO, USA
First Name
Carlo
Last Name
Donzelli
Member #

@jason, So are you guys just reserving sites where ever you can get them in the campground?

Has anyone expressed interest in camping on the Medano Pass Road?
We reserved 3 campsites at Piñon Flats Campground. I don't know if it's allowed but I'm ok to squeeze a bit if there is anyone willing to join me, John and Jason.
I believe there isn't availability anymore but you could double-check, nights of September 18 and 19.

Neal A. Tew

Mod Team

Member III

Pueblo West, CO
First Name
Neal
Last Name
Tew
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N1TEW
I can’t remember who asked about dispersed sites along the trail but that could certainly be an option. I’m not sure how it would work with the meet point to start down by the campground but I’m sure we could stop for people that need to claim a campsite if they find one. We should have time to do some else like you suggested before like Pass Creek Pass or Hayden Pass after Medano Pass.
I was just trying to add some fun things I had experience with, but I haven't been able to work out the logistics so I'll probably just drop those unless something else comes up.

How many vehicles allowed per camp site? I really only need a place to park.

JCarter

Rank V
Investor

Member III

Firestone, Weld County, Colorado, United States
First Name
John
Last Name
Carter
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0LRZ
I was just trying to add some fun things I had experience with, but I haven't been able to work out the logistics so I'll probably just drop those unless something else comes up.

How many vehicles allowed per camp site? I really only need a place to park.
I Heard two vehicles, but one tent.

Zappe

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Dacono, CO, USA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Dean
Member #

It looks like the snow this week caused enough damage that they’ve closed the Piñon Flats campground for cleanup. There isn’t an ETA listed to reopen it. Medano Pass Road and the park is open but unknown if there are downed trees along the trail. I’ll keep an eye on the campground status next week because there are several of us that have campsites reserved there. We can determine if others have some ideas like checking Zapata Falls Campground for space, or dispersed camping somewhere else.

Zappe

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Dacono, CO, USA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Dean
Member #

Also it would be helpful if you aren’t able to go, please update your RSVP in case some else would like to go. It also helps with planning. Thanks!

Reactions: Neal A. Tew

Zappe

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Dacono, CO, USA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Dean
Member #

I’d like to find out how many of you were planning to camp at Piñon Flats campground since we can’t count on it being open by next weekend?
Are you planning to camp Fri and Sat, or which day?
Yes, I was planning to include more adventures around as people show interest to see if some want to trail while others want to spend time at the dunes.

Neal A. Tew

Mod Team

Member III

Pueblo West, CO
First Name
Neal
Last Name
Tew
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N1TEW
I’d like to find out how many of you were planning to camp at Piñon Flats campground since we can’t count on it being open by next weekend?
Are you planning to camp Fri and Sat, or which day?
Yes, I was planning to include more adventures around as people show interest to see if some want to trail while others want to spend time at the dunes.
I was hoping to shack up with one of you if possible. My Friday availability has come into question, however.

• Sad
Reactions: Zappe