Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Baton Rouge, LA
First Name
Dre
Last Name
Jaxx
Member #

We’ll be there in two weeks. How are the skeeters this summer? They were terrible last year. I’m from Louisiana and it was far worse than here.

Zappe

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Dacono, CO, USA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Dean
Member #

I’ve read they’re the worst in May and June and plenty of bug spray is required. I haven’t been there yet to experience it.

Reactions: IrieVibes

JCarter

Rank V
Investor

Member III

Firestone, Weld County, Colorado, United States
First Name
John
Last Name
Carter
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0LRZ
We’ll be there in two weeks. How are the skeeters this summer? They were terrible last year. I’m from Louisiana and it was far worse than here.
I agree they were terrible last year, until you got across the water into the dunes. Then there were no more mosquitoes.

The mountains above the dunes did not get a heavy snowpack this year, hopefully that will reduce the amount that are present.

Reactions: IrieVibes and Zappe

Neal A. Tew

US Rocky Mountain Local Expert
Mod Team

Member III

Pueblo West, CO
First Name
Neal
Last Name
Tew
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N1TEW
Bummer. That's the first weekend of the Colorado Mountain Jam. :(

Neal A. Tew

Mod Team

Member III

Pueblo West, CO
First Name
Neal
Last Name
Tew
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N1TEW
What's your plan as far as Medano? Are you exiting the park that way or just making a trip up and back?

Zappe

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Dacono, CO, USA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Dean
Member #

Bummer. That's the first weekend of the Colorado Mountain Jam. :(
Darn, I didn’t think about it crossing over another area trip date. I’ve already got my campground reservation
What's your plan as far as Medano? Are you exiting the park that way or just making a trip up and back?
I’m totally open about doing the trail out and back or out and exit to go around and explore other spots. A stop at Zapata Falls could be an option.

Neal A. Tew

Mod Team

Member III

Pueblo West, CO
First Name
Neal
Last Name
Tew
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N1TEW
Darn, I didn’t think about it crossing over another area trip date. I’ve already got my campground reservation

I’m totally open about doing the trail out and back or out and exit to go around and explore other spots. A stop at Zapata Falls could be an option.

You might consider making a loop with Pass Creek Pass or Hayden Pass.

There's also a big free camping area at the far end of the Medano Pass road for those needing it. It would make route planning a bit more interesting, however.

trail_runn4r

US Rocky Mtn. Local Expert. Colorado: Denver Area

Pathfinder III

Denver, CO, USA
First Name
Carlo
Last Name
Donzelli
Member #

I'm in for some hiking/exploring rather than offroading only.

Reactions: JCarter

JCarter

Rank V
Investor

Member III

Firestone, Weld County, Colorado, United States
First Name
John
Last Name
Carter
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0LRZ
You might consider making a loop with Pass Creek Pass or Hayden Pass.

There's also a big free camping area at the far end of the Medano Pass road for those needing it. It would make route planning a bit more interesting, however.
Are you talking about the east side of the pass? I did see some numbered spots and was not sure if they were first come?

@NoCo4Rnr @the_runn4r Be careful of Google maps if you are traveling from the north to the east side of Medano Pass, it's wrong! It will route you through an active ranch filled with Buffalo and not a happy rancher who has left very colorful signs for trespassers.
1592452349828.png

Neal A. Tew

Mod Team

Member III

Pueblo West, CO
First Name
Neal
Last Name
Tew
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N1TEW
@JCarter, the numbered spots are actually on the west side of the pass, but east of the Dunes. They are indeed FCFS.

There are also dispersed spots east of the Pass, but still on the road. The large area, however, is actually east of the whole road:

Reactions: Boort

Zappe

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Dacono, CO, USA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Dean
Member #

*UPDATE* this has been pushed out to September 18th-20th due to a separate conflict that I forgot to put on my calendar. The positive is that it might be a little bit cooler than The end of August would be.

Zappe

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Dacono, CO, USA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Dean
Member #

It looks like Pinon Flats campground is full for these dates in September so if you don’t have a reservation, Zapata Falls campground is FC/FS on BLM land about 7 miles SW of the park, or a commercial campground could always be an option.

Reactions: trail_runn4r

Neal A. Tew

Mod Team

Member III

Pueblo West, CO
First Name
Neal
Last Name
Tew
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N1TEW
@jason, So are you guys just reserving sites where ever you can get them in the campground?

Has anyone expressed interest in camping on the Medano Pass Road?