Greetings from Idaho

• HTML tutorial

TrailBreaker

Rank I

Contributor III

Hello fellow adventurers! I want to thank you all for being such a fantastic resource, and I look forward to learning from and contributing to the Overland Bound community.

Boise, ID

Current Vehicle:

994 Toyota 4Runner (4x4, 3.0 V6, manual; purchased 2010)

Previous Vehicles:

1995 Toyota 4Runner (Purchased 2004, sold 2010)
1994 Toyota Truck (My dad's; purchased 1997, still in his driveway and running strong)

Overland Experience:

I have the good fortune of parents who took me on many vehicle-based camping trips as a kid around ID, OR, CO, and MN. As a defining overland moment (though I didn't know it at the time; I was 9), I took a road trip to AK with my dad in 1997. His truck was outfitted with a pop-up tent canopy, or bed shell, that made KOAs and wilderness areas home for over a month. This pretty much sealed the overlanding deal for me.

Since I bought a 4Runner in 2004, my very first vehicle, I have been regularly sleeping out of the back in remote (and not-so-remote) locations. My current rig came with a Safari Softshell tailgate tent which has seen use in St. Joe River Drainage, the Owyhee Canyonlands, and darn near every part of Idaho in between. I don't do "SERIOUS" off-roading, but some of the trails I regularly drive are high-clearance 4x4, so I'd like to think I can at least handle a few rocks in the road.

Why Overlanding?:

I found that when I can live out of my vehicle, I can go farther and tolerate more than most who are not set up for vehicle-based camping, especially in a 4x4*, which makes for some great, remote campsites. It's really freeing, and quite frankly relaxing, to know that as long as I can park at a level angle, I can camp and sleep well.

I also like doing things while in the outdoors, such as fishing, canoeing, and photography, which requires a lot of extra gear. I'm an avid backpacker, but I have to take the bare essentials out on the single-track trails. Don't get me wrong, backpacking is extremely rewarding in its own unique way, but it takes a lot of effort, and overlanding makes for an easy (well, easier) weekend get-away with the "luxury" items. Overlanding often takes me to places that are radically different that my current surroundings; I feel much more comfortable with vehicle-based camping in an unknown area compared to going in blind for a backpacking trip or even ground camping.

I also enjoy learning about and modifying my rig and have amassed a modest library of resources for 2nd generation Toyota 4Runners and trucks (1990-1995 w/ 3VZE). I don't do much engine work myself, but know my way around enough to wire up auxiliary lights and keep things more-or-less operating smoothly. While my experience is modest at best, I'd be happy to share it with anyone who is interested!

* Not to say you need a 4x4 to overland. For long-distance trips, a sweet touring rig has always been appealing to me. Alas, I can only afford a quiver of one in terms of vehicles (for now), and high-clearance 4x4 is a must for some of the places I visit. It's a good thing Idaho has so many opportunities that are "relatively" close to my HQ.

Reactions: 101Tundra and Steve