Wellspring

Rank II

Enthusiast III

North Carolina, USA
First Name
Ted
Last Name
Spirakis
I currently own a 2020 TRD Off Road Tacoma that I am slowly building and outfitting for just adventure travel. I had worked the Overland Expo Show East when it took place in Asheville for years, and my wife and I have international overland travel experience as well having traveled in India driving and staying with nomadic indiginous people in the Northern Himalayas on Tibetan border. Our next adventure will a bit more tame with driving through Iceland in an outfitted rented 4WD camper van for 10 days in September. Hope to meet some of you soon, and get to know you. Cheers!

KM4DWS

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Arden, NC
First Name
Kaleb
Last Name
Marske
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM4DWS
I currently own a 2020 TRD Off Road Tacoma that I am slowly building and outfitting for just adventure travel. I had worked the Overland Expo Show East when it took place in Asheville for years, and my wife and I have international overland travel experience as well having traveled in India driving and staying with nomadic indiginous people in the Northern Himalayas on Tibetan border. Our next adventure will a bit more tame with driving through Iceland in an outfitted rented 4WD camper van for 10 days in September. Hope to meet some of you soon, and get to know you. Cheers!
Welcome Neighbor from Arden!

Wellspring

Rank II

Enthusiast III

North Carolina, USA
First Name
Ted
Last Name
Spirakis
Very nice have you been the Rigs and Coffee in Mills River?
I have had every good intention of attending, but there has always been something that comes up to prevent me from getting down to Mills River. I know exactly where the coffee house is (I have picked up hay down that same road from a farm). We own a farm, and raise sheep, and right now we are in the middle of our lambing season with newborns arriving. I also am dealing with a very recent cardiac situation in which hopefully I will see daylight, and a remedy by the end of the upcoming week with a short out patient hospital stay procedure. This was unforeseen, and really has thrown a monkey wrench into our lives (my wife and I), but this too shall pass one way or another, and I will be there hopefully at the next one....

Cheers till we meet!

Oh,... And I do know Eric and the guys at "Asheville Vehicle Outfitters", as they have done some minor work to date on my Tacoma regarding custom lighting, as well as purchased some recovery gear from them, as well.

DirtBag Overland

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Candler NC
First Name
Cameron
Last Name
Brantley
Member #

Hello from Candler! Would like to know more about the Mills River gatherings.

The 4Runner is taking our family out to Colorado for a week of Overlanding starting in GSDNP and heading toward Breckinridge at the end of June.

Wellspring

Rank II

Enthusiast III

North Carolina, USA
First Name
Ted
Last Name
Spirakis

"Rigs & Coffee" every third Saturday at Mills River Brewing Company, 336 Banner Farm Road, Mills River NC. No posting for June evernt which would be 6/19. Hope that helps. I will be going to the Asheville Vehicle Outfitters open house on that same day atarting @ 10 Am, hopefully after the coffe meet-up in Mills River.

Reactions: IllaDub

DirtBag Overland

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Candler NC
First Name
Cameron
Last Name
Brantley
Member #

Sounds like an amazing trip to add to your list.
We just got back from a trip into the Colorado mountains - 2 weeks and saw only a handful of other travelers. Our 2016 4Runner Trail was perfect.
I still need to make to one of the meet ups too.

Reactions: Wellspring

Junktj

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Boone NC
First Name
michael
Last Name
ward
Welcome. Also check out Morrison's outdoors and 828 overland. Both are in the Asheville area and good people.

Reactions: Broncoma

Wellspring

Rank II

Enthusiast III

North Carolina, USA
First Name
Ted
Last Name
Spirakis
Does 828 Overland still meet every 3rd Sat for Rigs and Coffee in Mills River?? Is anyone from that group going to attend Overland Expo East this year?

Wellspring

Rank II

Enthusiast III

North Carolina, USA
First Name
Ted
Last Name
Spirakis
I'll try to drive down to Mills River next month to see if they still meet on that third Saturday of the month at their "Rigs And Coffee" meet-up in the AM at that coffee shop. Thanks.

chad7757

Rank II

Enthusiast II

Big Ivy Trailhead, Barnardsville, NC, USA
First Name
Chad
Last Name
Stancel
Looking to ride some trails with good people here in WNC. I live in the Pisgah NF (Ranger District) just Northwest of Mt Mitchell in the 'Big Ivy' area. If anyone knows of any good trails worth exploring nearby I am always ready to go along. I have heard that Hurricane Creek is a pretty good trail close by. Uhwarrie NF was really fun and very challenging, but about 3 hours away. I am looking to possibly check out the Brown Mountain OHV area and also Windrock Park in TN if anybody wants to get together.

Junktj

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Boone NC
First Name
michael
Last Name
ward
Looking to ride some trails with good people here in WNC. I live in the Pisgah NF (Ranger District) just Northwest of Mt Mitchell in the 'Big Ivy' area. If anyone knows of any good trails worth exploring nearby I am always ready to go along. I have heard that Hurricane Creek is a pretty good trail close by. Uhwarrie NF was really fun and very challenging, but about 3 hours away. I am looking to possibly check out the Brown Mountain OHV area and also Windrock Park in TN if anybody wants to get together.
The "trails" that are open to trucks at brown mtn are more of an access road to the other trails than an actual trail. Windrock has trails that make anything at unf look like a paved road, very cool place. I have yet to ride hurricane creek, but from what people have told me is that its comparable to old house gap, which was very mild.

Junktj

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Boone NC
First Name
michael
Last Name
ward
Can a full size run the trails at Windrock? UNF was pretty narrow in a lot of places, we got through but not without some souveniers.
All the trails I have driven at windrock are very open, and are full size friendly. Not so sure about the hardest trails though.

Reactions: IllaDub

KM4DWS

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Arden, NC
First Name
Kaleb
Last Name
Marske
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM4DWS
Big Ivy... Any where near that new rifle range ?

Reactions: Wellspring