Great Basin - Highway 93 in NV

• HTML tutorial

Anak

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Sandy Eggo
Take the 6 out of Ely to the 318 and you can be driving on the route of the Nevada Silver State Classic.

I like Great Basin NP. They will let you collect pine nuts there.

Reactions: David C Gibbs

Desert Runner

Rank VII
Launch Member

Expedition Master III

Southern Nevada
First Name
Jerold
Last Name
F.
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
/GMRS=WREA307
Boise to Ely, NV 3 nights NOT roughing it, two Steam train rides, a day up in Wheeler Peak in Great Basin NP. Return to Boise... 1007 miles, 47.96 Gallons $213.01 20.99mpg [A downsized photo to follow]...
Ghost train, Loved it. Years ago we did the steam train out to the old Kennacott copper mine, and then the 'high-line' out north towards McGill NV. At the time they still had a little over a mile to restore the tracks all the way to the old station in McGill. They had had plans to restore the station, similar to the one in Ely NV.

As a side note, they briefly reopened some of the rail tracks across the valley to accommodate all the ore cars that were ordered by the Australian mining conglomerate that purchased and reopened the closed pit mine for like 2 years before shutting the operation down again. My sister went to see the demolition of the tall smokestack, when they decided to demo it in McGill because they did not want to upgrade the RED flashing aircraft marker light required at the top.

David C Gibbs

Rank VI

Member III

Boise, Idaho
First Name
David
Last Name
Gibbs
Member #

Take the 6 out of Ely to the 318 and you can be driving on the route of the Nevada Silver State Classic.

I like Great Basin NP. They will let you collect pine nuts there.
YEP! Done that going and coming back... Saves 48 miles into Lost Wages. It's an awful road in a Sleet, Snow storm. It bore the Ice Queen last October.
DCG

David C Gibbs

Rank VI

Member III

Boise, Idaho
First Name
David
Last Name
Gibbs
Member #

Ghost train, Loved it. Years ago we did the steam train out to the old Kennacott copper mine, and then the 'high-line' out north towards McGill NV. At the time they still had a little over a mile to restore the tracks all the way to the old station in McGill. They had had plans to restore the station, similar to the one in Ely NV.

As a side note, they briefly reopened some of the rail tracks across the valley to accommodate all the ore cars that were ordered by the Australian mining conglomerate that purchased and reopened the closed pit mine for like 2 years before shutting the operation down again. My sister went to see the demolition of the tall smokestack, when they decided to demo it in McGill because they did not want to upgrade the RED flashing aircraft marker light required at the top.
The train station in McGill is 98% complete. NNRY and White Pine County was awarded 10Million to replace and fix the highway crossing, and complete the track into McGill. Can't wait. I want permission and Track Warrant to drive along the tracks from McGill to Currie. White Pine Co. doesn't have a problem, Elko Co. does : ( another visit to Elko and Wells.
DCG

Reactions: Desert Runner