Launch Member

Member III

Louisville, KY
First Name
DJ
Last Name
McComas
Member #

Love this thread, my wife decided to get into Gravel cycling with me this year. These are from 2 weeks ago at Pisgah and Dupont forests in NC.

Attachments

Reactions: MazeVX and SKv11000

SKv11000

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Salt Lake City, UT
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Winn
Yeah! Good to see some other people with the same mix of interests. If we all lived the same area I'd say that we need to share some strava routes and get out on some gravel trips.

I see you both went with brands that started with the letter "F".

Reactions: MazeVX

dj_mccomas

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Louisville, KY
First Name
DJ
Last Name
McComas
Member #

Yeah! Good to see some other people with the same mix of interests. If we all lived the same area I'd say that we need to share some strava routes and get out on some gravel trips.

I see you both went with brands that started with the letter "F".
lol thanks, the fuji was my bike, she wasn't excited about getting another one and told me to get the new bike. I rode 8 different gravel bikes and the felt won out. Picked up a 650b wheelset, as it is both my road/gravel bike. Just got an elliptical chainring and bigger rear cassette. We upgraded the fuji brakes and brifters for my wife as well. She's enjoying it so far. We are headed to CO for a ride at the end of july, then to CA for another ride in September, thats a two week trip. Maybe we can meet up on our way out?

SKv11000

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Salt Lake City, UT
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Winn
Ahh, the benefits of both of you riding the same size. That's very gracious of her to pave the way for you to get the +1.

September is right when Utah is getting good again from a temperature standpoint. If you pass through here, let's organize a ride.

dj_mccomas

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Louisville, KY
First Name
DJ
Last Name
McComas
Member #

Ahh, the benefits of both of you riding the same size. That's very gracious of her to pave the way for you to get the +1.

September is right when Utah is getting good again from a temperature standpoint. If you pass through here, let's organize a ride.
Agreed, not upset about a new bike lol. Will keep that in mind and see if we can possibly meet up for a ride.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
I’m in the process of building a gravel bike… I’m starting the build with a 2022 Trek Verve 2.0 Disk. I’m dropping from a 700x45c tire down to a 700x38c, and adding 420mm drop bars. Braking will be via Shimano Hydraulic Calipers. I will be converting over to Shimano GXR 2x11 gear train with brifters. I am still researching the wheel set and hubs I want to run.

Here is how my Verve sits right now.
Notice the Verve 2.0 Disk Low-Step that my wife rides completely stock minus the rear cargo rack.
576E8D34-6342-4FF6-8246-C5F60C2B60C6.jpeg
2A76617C-DA5E-4ABC-9D19-4C7D617DE4F5.jpeg

Some pictures from my last gravel adventure a few weeks ago.

Oregon trail water stop and old homestead

DC4DDD67-E39D-4176-B740-CE6E333456E4.jpeg

SKv11000

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Salt Lake City, UT
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Winn
We're all used to seeing cyclocross bikes repurposed as gravel bikes with aggressive geometry (which is a bit harsh on descents). It should and will be massively interesting to see a more of a comfort-oriented bike being repurposed as a gravel bike. That loooong wheelbase will bridge right over the washboards. Are you going to maintain the same rise on the stem or go with something flatter?

I have such a bias towards DT Swiss hubs lately because of how easy they are to field-service (no tools!).

Keep us posted on the build... looking forward to seeing it.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
We're all used to seeing cyclocross bikes repurposed as gravel bikes with aggressive geometry (which is a bit harsh on descents). It should and will be massively interesting to see a more of a comfort-oriented bike being repurposed as a gravel bike. That loooong wheelbase will bridge right over the washboards. Are you going to maintain the same rise on the stem or go with something flatter?

I have such a bias towards DT Swiss hubs lately because of how easy they are to field-service (no tools!).

Keep us posted on the build... looking forward to seeing it.
I’m going to keep the stem I have for now… Bontrager makes two different sized adjustable stems, a 110mm and an 85mm. If I find my 110mm is too long, I will go to the shorter 85mm. With the flat bars, the stack seams to be about perfect for me. The reach might be a little long, when I sit upright I can barely touch the grips with the tip of my fingers…

So, the reason I’m using the comfort frame is two fold. When I bought the Verve I had no idea what kind of riding I was going to be getting myself into. The hybrid just fit the bill at the time. As I found myself doing longer rides with most of the terrain on gravel and hard FS roads, I started looking at a better bike geometry for the longer rides… What I ended up finding out is that the bike I want (2022 Trek 520) specs out very close to the Verve. The biggest difference is the top tube length. Setting up the Verve is going to be about $900 cheaper than buying the 520. And then with the 520, I still would want to swap to the GXR group set and convert over to hydraulic breaks. (The verve spoils me with its breaking capabilities).

I hope to start buying the GRX components next month so I can start the conversion in early March.

Reactions: Shahn and MazeVX

SKv11000

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Salt Lake City, UT
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Winn
@M Rose - if you haven't already... get the tires now! I somewhat work in the bike industry and the word-on-the-street is that we're about to go into a pretty hefty tire shortage. I ordered 2 spare sets for each bike. Parts are similar... but I think that groupset is new enough to still be in stock (maybe).

@Cpol is that a Levo or a Kenevo?

Nickel

Rank III

Pathfinder II

San Diego, CA, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Jones
Member #

We're all used to seeing cyclocross bikes repurposed as gravel bikes...
I've always considered the two types to be the same. What is the difference between gravel and cyclo-cross? I have a Bianchi Zuriga (sic) that I consider a cyclo-cross but maybe it is gravel?

Reactions: SKv11000

SKv11000

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Salt Lake City, UT
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Winn
I've always considered the two types to be the same. What is the difference between gravel and cyclo-cross? I have a Bianchi Zuriga (sic) that I consider a cyclo-cross but maybe it is gravel?
Good question @Nickel :

CX bikes generally have steeper angles, are stiffer, and have a shorter wheelbase to help them whip around the tighter turns on a cross course. These characteristics make the bike a bit twitchy and want to lay themselves down on more sweeping turns. The shorter wheelbase and the frame stiffness makes them a more rougher ride across gravel roads. The bottom brackets on CX bikes tend to be a bit higher as well and overall the geometry puts the rider more over the front of the bike.

Gravel bikes are generally a little slack in the seatpost and headtube angles, more compliant, and have a longer wheelbase to smooth out bumpier roads and improve handling at higher-ish speeds. Lower bottom brackets (from ground to center) lower the center of of gravity and increase stability... less twitchy. Some gravel specific bikes are now allowing for tires up to 50mm as well, but 40-42 is probably the most common range. Comfort = speed (over longer distances)

Also worth noting (only for slight interest) that a bunch of people I know who race cyclocross (but don't win, ever) are just racing on their gravel bikes. I rode a CX bike on gravel roads (and a road bike for that matter) for years... but the first time I descended on a gravel bike (Ibis Hakka MX at a photo shoot) I knew that I had to upgrade to a gravel specific bike.

Outtake from said photoshoot:

imagejpeg_11.jpg

Reactions: Shahn and MazeVX

MazeVX

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Gießen Germany
First Name
Mathias
Last Name
Kreicker
Member #

@M Rose - if you haven't already... get the tires now! I somewhat work in the bike industry and the word-on-the-street is that we're about to go into a pretty hefty tire shortage. I ordered 2 spare sets for each bike. Parts are similar... but I think that groupset is new enough to still be in stock (maybe).

@Cpol is that a Levo or a Kenevo?
Over here we are still in the everything shortage, tires are hard to get, groupsets almost impossible, the rest is okay more or less except of frames.

Reactions: SKv11000 and Shahn

Shahn

Rank VI

Off-Road Ranger I

Snohomish County, WA, USA
First Name
Shahn
Last Name
Brown
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS - WRQD549
Any good tire recommendations, I also heard there was a potential shortage and wanted to pick up an extra set of tires, but am only a few years into owning my gravel bike so very new to all this still. I'm running the stock tires now (Specialized Pathfinder Sport 700x38), I do a lot of road riding during the week, and gravel on weekends or trips. I have a pair of Teravail Rutlands 700 x 47 that I ran through the winter and they seemed to handle well. Any good tire experience/knowledge would be truly appreciated!

Thanks in advance for the input!

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Any good tire recommendations, I also heard there was a potential shortage and wanted to pick up an extra set of tires, but am only a few years into owning my gravel bike so very new to all this still. I'm running the stock tires now (Specialized Pathfinder Sport 700x38), I do a lot of road riding during the week, and gravel on weekends or trips. I have a pair of Teravail Rutlands 700 x 47 that I ran through the winter and they seemed to handle well. Any good tire experience/knowledge would be truly appreciated!

Thanks in advance for the input!
700x47 seams kind of wide… I find my 700x45 too wide…

Nickel

Rank III

Pathfinder II

San Diego, CA, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Jones
Member #

Good question @Nickel :

CX bikes generally have steeper angles, are stiffer, and have a shorter wheelbase to help them whip around the tighter turns on a cross course. These characteristics make the bike a bit twitchy and want to lay themselves down on more sweeping turns. The shorter wheelbase and the frame stiffness makes them a more rougher ride across gravel roads. The bottom brackets on CX bikes tend to be a bit higher as well and overall the geometry puts the rider more over the front of the bike.

Gravel bikes are generally a little slack in the seatpost and headtube angles, more compliant, and have a longer wheelbase to smooth out bumpier roads and improve handling at higher-ish speeds. Lower bottom brackets (from ground to center) lower the center of of gravity and increase stability... less twitchy. Some gravel specific bikes are now allowing for tires up to 50mm as well, but 40-42 is probably the most common range. Comfort = speed (over longer distances)

Also worth noting (only for slight interest) that a bunch of people I know who race cyclocross (but don't win, ever) are just racing on their gravel bikes. I rode a CX bike on gravel roads (and a road bike for that matter) for years... but the first time I descended on a gravel bike (Ibis Hakka MX at a photo shoot) I knew that I had to upgrade to a gravel specific bike.
Got it. Mine sounds more like a gravel bike! but it is advertised as a cyclo-cross. It is all in the marketing! Either way it is an enjoyable ride. I am happy I got it over a traditional road bike. At my age I ain't fast anyway and I like being able to take it on trails.

SKv11000

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Salt Lake City, UT
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Winn
...road riding during the week, and gravel on weekends or trips.
From my personal experience (and i claim to be kind of a tire nerd) i'd (lowercase on purpose) say that the Pathfinder style of tire would be a good combo for your use. The smooth in the center will give you low rolling resistance at high(er) pressure on the road and at lower pressures giving you bite with the side tread. The tires i've ridden that I would recommend are (my current bike only allows for 38mm tires):
  • Pathfinder Pro - I've only ridden the 38, but insider knowledge says a 42mm is on the horizon. The pro should be faster and more comfy than the Sport.
  • Panaracer Gravelking SK - It has tread in the middle but I've ridden these in medium paced group rides on the road and survived towards the front.
  • Panaracer Gravelking SS - Basically the SK with a smooth strip down the center. Best of both words and nice and supple still.
  • Maxxis Re-fuse - File treat tire that's surprising grippy and fast-ish on the road with good puncture protection... but if you need the tooth of a knobby tire offroad...
  • Maxxis Rambler - Perfectly reliable full-tread tire with a nice soft feel offroad. I've ridden 3.5 sets and they've been perfect.
I agree that 45-47's on the would be slow on the road but give you some nice "pneumatic suspension" off road. If you're looking to do faster road rides you'll have to sacrifice a little bit of comfort on the dirt. It all depends on what type of road, dirt, and your balance between the two.

I will say that that I've had multiple bad experiences with WTB tires and would never recommend them to anyone.

Reactions: Shahn