First Name
Matt
Last Name
Bosma
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W6BOZ
Hello All,

In case you haven't heard, I recently got myself, my GF, and my truck stuck down on a trail through Hunter Liggett military land below Prewitt Ridge (the truck is still there stuck). Thank you for the outpouring of help and spreading the word, as well as the well-wishes and check-ins - it's humbling to be a part of such an amazing group of people, and I'd still be there without OB.

A HUGE shoutout to the OB group that was there and came to our rescue - getting us home and safe! First off, thank you to Alex Hsu for getting my SOS and spreading the word. Thank you to PapaDave, Ro, Karen, Mike Shaffer, for their support. In particular, our salvation was directly executed by Armin, Roger, Ray, Will and their base crew of Mike, Mike, Will C, Rose and Jenn. I hope I didn't forget anyone - it's been a hectic few days for sure. We climbed/hiked out - met up with them on the trail where they had water waiting, and walked us back to their vehicles, fed us, and took us home (Super special thanks to Roger for doing that, and being an incredibly thoughtful host the whole time).

That said - now I need to focus on recovering the truck. I'm hoping to get a group together for this upcoming weekend (or sooner if possible). It will involve 2-3 rigs, a bunch of tow straps, tree straps, winches, etc. as the truck is really far down and getting close with another rig is not an option. The truck is fine. Fully functional except the winch line is bound up from my bumbled attempts. The truck has about 2/3 of a tank of gas, front and rear lockers, and plenty of tie off points. Thinking daisy-chaining rigs... multiple winches from tree to tree to get up to the rigs in the first place, then eventually drive it out. I'll catch a ride with someone, and I can help drive/winch/do whatever needs to be done to get it out - I just need expert advice and some assistance.

I'll include pictures in the comments below with descriptions shortly - still recovering a bit and need a few moments to collect my thoughts and get some food in me. Again, thank you for all the support thus far!!

boz4rnr

Rank IV
Launch Member

Traveler III

SF Bay Area
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Bosma
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W6BOZ
Truck is on dry river bed at the base of the trail. Note: trail is STEEP and consists of crumbling rock and soft dirt. MT tires would handle this better than my AT tires. Distance from here to the point I could drive out is about 1000ft, give or take. Trail is heavily rutted/eroded. Plenty of trees all along the trail to anchor to and winch up. If someone were better with winch mechanics, could untangle my winch line (or replace it) - we could work or way up from tree to tree potentially.

Attachments

boz4rnr

Rank IV
Launch Member

Traveler III

SF Bay Area
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Bosma
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W6BOZ
Here are some pics of the various parts of the lower/worst part of the trail. Again, very steep, very loose, slight camber to the edge of the trail.

Attachments

Reactions: Shahn

boz4rnr

Rank IV
Launch Member

Traveler III

SF Bay Area
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Bosma
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W6BOZ
After talking with several people, here's my idea (looking for feedback/suggestions).

1.) Day trip: Leave Fremont area around 6am, arrive at site between 9am and 10am. Plan for 4-6 hours of recovery, (but should be quicker), hopefully truck is out by no later than 4pm. Drive home from there - back in Fremont by 8pm. (Using Fremont as a placeholder - can be adjusted to wherever).
2.) Need at least 1 truck, preferably 2. Preferably more of the crawler persuasion, but not required. 2-3 people besides myself. If I can fix my winch cable, or replace the cable, this becomes much easier. Winch truck up the trail from tree to tree, using other people as spotters/giving expertise/guidance. I'll be researching how to fix winch today - will update shortly.
3.) Gear: Regardless, we'll need several extensions (tow straps, winch cables, snatch blocks) - possibly a portable winch as well. My winch has a 100ft cable on it that's good, just bound up. I also have a tree saver, 1 snatch block, 1 kinetic rope (30'), and 4 soft shackles and 2 hard ones). I'll pick up a spare winch cable as well for the trip. I also have 4 traction boards on the truck, and can bring 2 more. Anything else others can bring/loan would be greatly appreciated.

Suggestions? Any other gear? I believe Shaffer has a land anchor - worth bringing? Anything else?

I'm going to put up a rally point for this Saturday - I know it's a holiday weekend and I'm not locked into that day - just kicking this off somehow. Again, very open to suggestions and definitely in need of help here.

Thanks again for all the help so far!

Reactions: Shahn and Advtres

boz4rnr

Rank IV
Launch Member

Traveler III

SF Bay Area
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Bosma
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W6BOZ
Note: We would also have the backup ability to camp nearby - there is an ideal spot with room for up to 10 rigs not far from the trouble area.

Reactions: Shahn

Michael

Rank IX
Staff member
Founder 500

Benefactor

Livermore, California, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Murguia
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YSL
Hello All,

In case you haven't heard, I recently got myself, my GF, and my truck stuck down on a trail through Hunter Liggett military land below Prewitt Ridge (the truck is still there stuck). Thank you for the outpouring of help and spreading the word, as well as the well-wishes and check-ins - it's humbling to be a part of such an amazing group of people, and I'd still be there without OB.

A HUGE shoutout to the OB group that was there and came to our rescue - getting us home and safe! First off, thank you to Alex Hsu for getting my SOS and spreading the word. Thank you to PapaDave, Ro, Karen, Mike Shaffer, for their support. In particular, our salvation was directly executed by Armin, Roger, Ray, Will and their base crew of Mike, Mike, Will C, Rose and Jenn. I hope I didn't forget anyone - it's been a hectic few days for sure. We climbed/hiked out - met up with them on the trail where they had water waiting, and walked us back to their vehicles, fed us, and took us home (Super special thanks to Roger for doing that, and being an incredibly thoughtful host the whole time).

That said - now I need to focus on recovering the truck. I'm hoping to get a group together for this upcoming weekend (or sooner if possible). It will involve 2-3 rigs, a bunch of tow straps, tree straps, winches, etc. as the truck is really far down and getting close with another rig is not an option. The truck is fine. Fully functional except the winch line is bound up from my bumbled attempts. The truck has about 2/3 of a tank of gas, front and rear lockers, and plenty of tie off points. Thinking daisy-chaining rigs... multiple winches from tree to tree to get up to the rigs in the first place, then eventually drive it out. I'll catch a ride with someone, and I can help drive/winch/do whatever needs to be done to get it out - I just need expert advice and some assistance.

I'll include pictures in the comments below with descriptions shortly - still recovering a bit and need a few moments to collect my thoughts and get some food in me. Again, thank you for all the support thus far!!
I am so glad you guys are out and safe. You were certainly in good hands with that crew. Friends all of them. Great job. I’m talking to @Kent R about this and will pass along insights. I’ll unfortunately be out of town July 1st - 11th. If we need more support in terms of numbers, we can certainly get that. More soon.

Last edited:

OTH Overland

Local Expert Washington, USA
Investor

Trail Blazer III

Camano Island, WA, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Ballard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N7XQP
Service Branch
Fire/EMS/SAR
@makboz, looks like you have done a great job of describing and providing photos of your situation, really wish we were closer and could help out! Best of luck with the extraction and that all stay safe and out of harms way.

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
Hello All,

Ill watch the thread to see how things go. If you need any assistance getting the word out just message me here or Kent@OverlandBound.com

boz4rnr

Rank IV
Launch Member

Traveler III

SF Bay Area
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Bosma
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W6BOZ
Latest update: Chris Alcaron and I are looking at going up this Thursday. We would leave early morning from Morgan Hill and drive down through Salinas and Jolon to come in from that side. I am borrowing and bringing a ton of extra ropes, shackles, winch line, snatch blocks, land anchors, etc. etc. At this point, we just need some bodies, and preferably a bigger rig in case we need to anchor/winch from it. I’m going to throw up a rally point invitation for Thursday. Again, what we really need at this point are experienced recovery people and extra bodies to expedite/share the workload. Right now our minimum is four guys and two trucks or it’s a no go. Rally point with details to follow.

Michael

Rank IX
Staff member
Founder 500

Benefactor

Livermore, California, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Murguia
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YSL
Rally Point is up - leaving from Gilroy, 110 miles on freeway and defined fire roads to get there. Then the fun begins!
This afternoon I will edit that Rally Point to increase invites beyond the standard 50 so it gets more exposure.