Launch Member

Advocate III

Vacaville, CA, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Mulrooney
Member #

Hello fellow overlanders! Me and my wife just finished a discussion about visiting the Grand Canyon from California. We are possibly looking into driving in the canyon if that is possible and if it is and you have done it please shed some insite. As well is there any other sites we should be hitting along the road trip from Northern California to Arizona or even on the way home taking a different route for other places to stop and see? Thanks

Reactions: Lifestyle Overland

Murphy Slaw

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Southern Illinois
Member #

I went to the South Rim back in 1976 and a Blizzard hit. Never saw a thing and was glad to get out alive with an old Chevy Nova and no money.

I always wanted to go back, best of luck !

Reactions: Justin_0237

ShawnR

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Bettendorf, Iowa, USA
First Name
Shawn
Last Name
Reimers
Member #

Service Branch
Army
Are you visiting the North Rim or South Rim? North Rim is going to be less congested, and more off road. South Rim is all the touristy stuff, but still a spectacular site to see. As far as driving into it, no. I do not believe that is legal. You can hike in from the South Rim, but you have to get approval and a pass several months in advance. At least for overnight hiking anyway. I've never been there in the winter myself. I'm sure this time of year there's not that many tourists. Depending on when you go, I believe you can raft down the Colorado through the Grand Canyon, and do some camping along the way.

Justin_0237

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Advocate III

Vacaville, CA, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Mulrooney
Member #

The plan isn't until late April early May time so lucky won't have to worry about any snow hitting or if so very little. And most likely going to the south rim just because my wife hasn't been ever and she would wanna see the more touristy side of things. I still have research to do as far as what side though. And thanks for the info on going into the canyon going to have to check that out.

Reactions: Lifestyle Overland

ShawnR

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Bettendorf, Iowa, USA
First Name
Shawn
Last Name
Reimers
Member #

Service Branch
Army
If you go to the South Rim, check out the Imax theater. Been a few years but they had a movie about the history of the Grand Canyon and it was really cool to see.

Reactions: Justin_0237

stoney126

Rank VI
Founder 500
Launch Member

Influencer II

Napa Ca
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Stoner
Member #

Are you planning on hitting up the expo too?