GPS - Wearables/Handhelds

• HTML tutorial

SeguineJ

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Dickson City, PA
Member #

Anyone have recommendations that they actually use? Looking to get for both overland and my LEO side of the house. Prefer to get something that someone has a real recommendation or has used. Especially spending this much money on average haha.

Reactions: Ubiety

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
To do what? How do you want to use it?

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
SmartPhone #1 why use anything else?

Delorme InReach for emergency communications when mobile service is not available.

The other Sean

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Minneapolis
Member #

I have a Garmin 64st. I carry it hiking and hunting. Works great, but it will burn up the pair of AA batteries once a day if you leave the unit on.

The other Sean

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Minneapolis
Member #

SmartPhone #1 why use anything else?

Delorme InReach for emergency communications when mobile service is not available.
because many parts of the country Cell service is useless. I've had various GPS type tracking cell phone applications shut down while walking in the woods. My Garmin may be off by a few extra feet, but still shows multiple satellites.

Also, things like this happen when you rely on your cell phone.

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/lost-hiker-was-two-miles-appalachian-trail-when-she-died-n581611

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
because many parts of the country Cell service is useless. I've had various GPS type tracking cell phone applications shut down while walking in the woods. My Garmin may be off by a few extra feet, but still shows multiple satellites.

Also, things like this happen when you rely on your cell phone.

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/lost-hiker-was-two-miles-appalachian-trail-when-she-died-n581611
Lack of cell coverage does not mean lack of GPS. So it depends on what you are looking for the device to do. I have never had any issues with apps with my iphone in airplane mode and using the GPS. Your mileage may vary as they say.

I've heard good things about Spot Messenger... but I have no first-hand knowledge of it.
https://www.findmespot.ca/en/
It is ONEWAY communication. Better than nothing but not as good as the Delorme InReach. Plenty of threads on that. So again it depends on what level of safety you wish to have.

The other Sean

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Minneapolis
Member #

Lack of cell coverage does not mean lack of GPS. So it depends on what you are looking for the device to do. I have never had any issues with apps with my iphone in airplane mode and using the GPS. Your mileage may vary as they say.
Is that in open areas or heavily wooded? Like I said, I've had issues more than once having my cell phone drop GPS signal as well while my handheld unit was still great.

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
Is that in open areas or heavily wooded? Like I said, I've had issues more than once having my cell phone drop GPS signal as well while my handheld unit was still great.
Alll of my iPhones have worked well in all of the places I have taken them to. Others may have a different experience but not me. No issues.

Winterpeg

CDN Prairie Ambassador
Staff member
Launch Member

Influencer II

Winnipeg, MB
Member #

He'll just need an offline mapping system to show the gps location on his phone as without signal the normal google maps, etc won't generate the map.... I don't use one so I can't suggest anything for that.

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
He'll just need an offline mapping system to show the gps location on his phone as without signal the normal google maps, etc won't generate the map.... I don't use one so I can't suggest anything for that.
Lots of threads on that topic!!! :)

sledgehomer

Rank 0

Traveler I

I will trust my life to my Fenix 3. You can create routes in Google Earth (or anything that creates GPX files) and download it right into your watch. My only complaint is that you need an external power supply for multi day trips. With the apps you can download, there isnt much you cannot do with this wearable.

Sent from my SM-T713 using OB Talk mobile app

SeguineJ

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Dickson City, PA
Member #

I will trust my life to my Fenix 3. You can create routes in Google Earth (or anything that creates GPX files) and download it right into your watch. My only complaint is that you need an external power supply for multi day trips. With the apps you can download, there isnt much you cannot do with this wearable.

Sent from my SM-T713 using OB Talk mobile app
I was hoping someone was using the Fenix because I have heard good things. Including use on military maps which for me is a big deal. My military job relies heavily on map reading, map use, and the more tools I can have on my person to all be 100% correct the the better.

Also good to see the InReach numbers growing. Highly considering that product as well.

Sent from my Pixel using OB Talk mobile app

Reactions: sledgehomer

Randy P

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Oakley, CA
Member #

Google Maps will allow you to downloads maps for offline use. Just need to do it BEFORE you go offline!

Sent from my VS985 4G using OB Talk mobile app

krax

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

NC
Member #

For military use, the Foretrex 401 is still king. It's not exactly packed with features, but it's got pretty good battery life as a result. It'll tell you what you need to know in the shortest amount of time and you won't need a place to store it.

For almost everything else I use offline maps on smartphones and tablets. Maps.me for cities and Gaia GPS for trails. If you want to incorporate an InReach into that setup, by all means go for it. I probably will one day.

There's still a place for the Garmin GPS 60/62/64 handhelds because the antennas on them are awesome, but their niche is getting smaller and smaller for me.

Flipper

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Florida
First Name
John
Last Name
F
Member #

I have a Garmin 76CX handheld, I have the chips for US waterways, topo for SE U.S. and Rocky Mountains and inland lakes and waterways, its waterproof and floats, had it for years, never had a issue, mega versatile, used to work at a West Marine, sold hundreds of Garmins, one thing about Garmins they are very user friendly, I could usually teach someone to operate one in about 15 min.

Sent from my iPad using OB Talk

Reactions: GSDforLife