Oregon
First Name
Adrian
Last Name
Simms
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KC7CJB
I am looking at adding a stand alone Bluetooth GPS receiver to my tablet. I have looked at Dual Electronics XGPS160, the Garmin GLO, and Globalsat BT-821. I am leaning towards the Dual Electronics system but wanted to know if anyone has any feedback, real time experience with any of these companies or could recommend a different one all together.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Mad Garden Gnome

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Templeton, Ca
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Marlett
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W6ORV
I am curious about your requirements. Does your tablet not have a GPSr? What is the tie in with the bluetooth?

Sorry, no experience with those products. I have dealt with Garmin Aviation extensively and a bit with their handhelds. Their menu's are intuitive and unit's are overall friendly to use.

Lipek

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

I have bad elf pro, it works great with my iPad when in deep woods and mountains.

jkxranger

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Oregon
First Name
Adrian
Last Name
Simms
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KC7CJB
I am curious about your requirements. Does your tablet not have a GPSr? What is the tie in with the bluetooth?

Sorry, no experience with those products. I have dealt with Garmin Aviation extensively and a bit with their handhelds. Their menu's are intuitive and unit's are overall friendly to use.
My tablet does have a gps but it's spotty at best when in the backcountry around home, and wanted to see what peoples real world experience with the products. Also I would prefer a 10.1" screen for my GPS.

Last edited:

jkxranger

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Oregon
First Name
Adrian
Last Name
Simms
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KC7CJB
I have bad elf pro, it works great with my iPad when in deep woods and mountains.
Thanks for the response I will be looking at the Bad Elf pro tonight, What maps program do you run?

jkxranger

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Oregon
First Name
Adrian
Last Name
Simms
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KC7CJB
I think I am going to go with the Dual unless I buy an IPAD, so now to figure out which software to run. Way to many choices...LOL

toxicity_27

US MidWest Region Member Rep
Launch Member

Member II

Minnesota
Member #

Im running Android and I like Backcountry Navigator Pro. Still have a lot to learn on it, but so far it's been great.

jkxranger

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Oregon
First Name
Adrian
Last Name
Simms
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KC7CJB
Im running Android and I like Backcountry Navigator Pro. Still have a lot to learn on it, but so far it's been great.
I will be looking at the "Back country Navigator Pro" tonight at work,

maktruk

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Member #

I have back country nav pro as well. Works well but isn't very user-friendly

MarkW

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Member #

I used a Dual bluetooth antenna tethered to my iPad for several years and it worked great. Unfortunately I believe it's on a trail somewhere in Northern GA now. I am now using my iPad Mini with built in GPS and it has worked great, don't recall ever losing it's location apart from say going through a tunnel which is obvious. I have been using Galileo with both and it works great.

MA_Trooper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Methuen, MA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
BRV
Member #

I use MotionX. It's really easy to make routes and import them into MotionX. It also allows me to use whatever map source I want. Just download the needed tiles and go. That way I don't need data. Just the gps. I have an ipad and iPhone 5s. Works really well on both.

jkxranger

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Oregon
First Name
Adrian
Last Name
Simms
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KC7CJB
Man my decision on which set up to go with gets more difficult everyday... LOL

Skijeeper

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Black Diamond, WA
Member #

I picked up a Dual 150A as it was on sale on Amazon. The local cty SnR team uses the Dual gos units, so I figure they should work well here in the PNW. I am pairing it with my wifi only Mini iPad4.

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
I have an older Dual GPS puck and it works great. I also run GAIA first, sometimes Free PDF (Avenza) and Motion X.

The reason these are required is because if you don't have a 3G/LTE iPad you don't have a built in GPS. Most Android tablets do have built in GPS even without 3G (Check before you buy one). In some instances a separate GPS with a better view of the sky will also work better than a built in device. I have been using these things for over a decade so ask away.