Joe
Last Name
Hunt
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ke0uvb
Service Branch
USAF
We are doing the TAT soon, has anyone used the GPS maps from GPS Kevin? If so did they work well, we're they accurate?
Please let me know.

Tudelum48

Rank I

Traveler I

I've ran the TAT from TN. to Colorado, I'm sure Kevin's tracks are good. He is on ADV Rider allot, But I personally haven't ran any of his tracks.I thought it was still Taboo to offer Sams work on GPS tracks?

Joe Hunt

Local Expert Iowa, USA
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Mechanicsville Iowa
First Name
Joe
Last Name
Hunt
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ke0uvb
Service Branch
USAF
I've ran the TAT from TN. to Colorado, I'm sure Kevin's tracks are good. He is on ADV Rider allot, But I personally haven't ran any of his tracks.I thought it was still Taboo to offer Sams work on GPS tracks?

Just checking options. Thanks

OffWheelin

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Torrance, CA
Member #

I have not done the TAT, but I did the Continental Divide in 2015. GPS Kevin's route for that trail had errors, including going through closed lands.

If the "other guy" is Sam, he is the guy that originated the TAT trail. I would not be opposed to compensating him for his effort and knowledge. It is worth it to not get lost or confused while on a trip.

Whatever you do, you should view your intended route in detail in google earth to validate it. I reviewed a couple CD routes and was surprised how sloppy they were. For that trip I created my own file, but that was a lot of work.

Tudelum48

Rank I

Traveler I

If your worried about not getting lost or confused maybe? just maybe your not up to doing the TAT. Things change, the TAT files Sam puts out has evolved over the years. When running smaller roads theirs always a detour somewhere. I don't think there is a single trip iv'e taken where there wasn't a hickup along the way. I appreciate the work of other travelers and most of the time combine multiple trips into one. I redraw (all) the tracks we run to .2 mile scale for running on a Garmin gps. I'm sure other methods work to there pleasure but hey I'm old if it ain't broke don't fix it.