• HTML tutorial

SonOfNeptune

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Advocate II

Springfield MO
Member #

Anyone running an integrated system for mapping? I am about to embark on an Epic Road Trip and wondered if there was a way I could integrate my iPad as a GPS/Topo Mapping system. Any descriptions and pictures would be greatly appreciated

El Solis

Rank V
Investor

Traveler II

Livermore, CA, USA
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6CQE
Gaia GPS is the way to go as long as your iPad has a GPS chip (if you can get cellular data it has a GPS chip). If not and it has Bluetooth you can get a GPS puck (like bad elf unit). Here's a screen shot from my iPhone from one of my trips. I use my iPad in the truck.

Reactions: Matt92101

Mad Garden Gnome

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Templeton, Ca
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Marlett
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W6ORV
Gaia is nice. A subscription gets you USFS and NP maps. You get street and USGS topographic for free.

Reactions: Matt92101

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
Another vote for Gaia. I have been using it for years. There is a "new" Hema app but it is just a clone of Gaia. At least for the time being.

Gunnermoose

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Mesa, Arizona
Member #

I run Gaia and Earthmate on my iPad air2. I do not rely on the internal GPS of the iPad. I use a Delorme InReach Explorer and Bluetooth the signal into my iPad. The explorer also provides me with some additional service when there is no cell link. Depending on the InReach plan you use you can have weather, SMS text capability, mapping functionality and an SOS/evac options. If you plan to be by yourself a lot I highly recommend. I have never used the SOS function, but there is piece of mind knowing I have it. http://www.inreachdelorme.com/product-info/inreach-explorer.php

Raul B

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Kyle, Hays County, Texas, United States
First Name
Raul
Last Name
Banuelos
Member #

Im running an Ipad Air 2 mounted with mob armor mounts. I also run a external bluetooth gps (dual skypro gps). as far as software goes i use co pilot for street driving and a combanation of gia, backcountry and leadnav... so far i have found leadnav far superior but its also a paid subscription...

Reactions: Gunnermoose

SonOfNeptune

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Advocate II

Springfield MO
Member #

Thanks for the heads up Guys. I downloaded Gaia and I already had MotionX... Im going to play around with them both more on the trip to see which one I prefer. That being said, does anyone use a Garmin hand held as their GPS data collector. Is there a way to link the handheld and have it work as the interface/data collector (in real time). I presume you can use a Garmin hand held as a hiking platform and upload the data to Gaia on the iPad and Computer... can anyone confirm?

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
Thanks for the heads up Guys. I downloaded Gaia and I already had MotionX... Im going to play around with them both more on the trip to see which one I prefer. That being said, does anyone use a Garmin hand held as their GPS data collector. Is there a way to link the handheld and have it work as the interface/data collector (in real time). I presume you can use a Garmin hand held as a hiking platform and upload the data to Gaia on the iPad and Computer... can anyone confirm?
I believe Garmin has software to extract the files and make them GPX files. I don't own a Garmin device. I use my phone or Delorme InReach for tracks when outside the vehicle.

Gunnermoose

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Mesa, Arizona
Member #

Garmin GPS devices do run a proprietary data stream. With that said, depending on the software you use, you can change the settings to run real-time off of a Garmin device. At one time (6 years ago), I had a laptop in my truck that I used for as my navigation platform. I had ESRI's ArcMap loaded on the laptop and used a Garmin GPS Map 76 as my GPS device. I had to go into the ESRI software setting and select the Garmin interface. Additionally, I had to set the output on the Garmin device to a different setting also. Once completed I had tracking/logging capability on my laptop. I would have to go back into the settings to see what they were.

I have never had a problem importing a Garmin track into any other navigation app/software.

Reactions: SonOfNeptune

SonOfNeptune

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Advocate II

Springfield MO
Member #

Garmin GPS devices do run a proprietary data stream. With that said, depending on the software you use, you can change the settings to run real-time off of a Garmin device. At one time (6 years ago), I had a laptop in my truck that I used for as my navigation platform. I had ESRI's ArcMap loaded on the laptop and used a Garmin GPS Map 76 as my GPS device. I had to go into the ESRI software setting and select the Garmin interface. Additionally, I had to set the output on the Garmin device to a different setting also. Once completed I had tracking/logging capability on my laptop. I would have to go back into the settings to see what they were.

I have never had a problem importing a Garmin track into any other navigation app/software.
Thanks Man!

Reactions: Gunnermoose