GPS App's - What do you recommend?

• HTML tutorial

IronPercheron

Rank VI
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Sweeny Texas
Member #

You'll be walking in circles unless your rig is old enough to run on points...

There may or may not be a novel series featuring some overlanding rigs come bug out vehicles about such a topic (and zombies)...:kissing:
I want to read this...

And mine is an HEI with remote unit. I have another not wired up on the fender well, and 3 more in the truck with another complete distributor :-) and all wiring is quick disconnect...

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Reactions: WUzombies

IronPercheron

Rank VI
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Sweeny Texas
Member #

I want to read this...

And mine is an HEI with remote unit. I have another not wired up on the fender well, and 3 more in the truck with another complete distributor :-) and all wiring is quick disconnect...

staying to standard in land navigation for 6 years for uncle sam didnt hurt none either... kinda helps lol

Steve

lost again...
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler III

Lorain County, OH, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
None
Member #

I'll see how Gaia works on the iPad today. We're heading to Ocala National Forest after lunch to drive some of the trails. It looks like you could drive for days in there! Pics and a review later.

Reactions: AndyMKE and Mike G

Mike G

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

San Jose, CA
Member #

I'll see how Gaia works on the iPad today. We're heading to Ocala National Forest after lunch to drive some of the trails. It looks like you could drive for days in there! Pics and a review later.
Steve, let me know if you like using Gaia. I'm still thinking about buying the App. thx

Lifestyle Overland

Rank VI
Founder 500

Pathfinder II

United States
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
McCuiston
Member #

I've been in a state of flux over what electronic method I'm going to use this year. I'm tired of fighting multiple platforms (Garmin, Cell Phone, AND Delorme). I LOVE hard copy maps but New Mexico has proven to be a proverbial Bermuda triangle and I'm constantly finding errors on the foldouts so a reliable and up-to-date electronic method is a must.

One company that has held my attention is https://www.onxmaps.com/. Primarly started as a resource for hunters, this company is growing and expanding into the more mainstream outdoors folk with their new app "Roam". What these GPS maps offer beyond the traditional is that they denote public and private land in great detail. I used this during an elk hunt several years back and found it to be spot on. This information has been extremely handy when overlanding as well since the New Mexico ranchers don't usually mark their property as private, and then some of them like to try to run you off of PUBLIC land as if it was their own. That being said; I'm thinking about converting to an Android tablet and running this app as my primary navigation.

Reactions: JzzR83 and Mike G

Mike G

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

San Jose, CA
Member #

I've been in a state of flux over what electronic method I'm going to use this year. I'm tired of fighting multiple platforms (Garmin, Cell Phone, AND Delorme). I LOVE hard copy maps but New Mexico has proven to be a proverbial Bermuda triangle and I'm constantly finding errors on the foldouts so a reliable and up-to-date electronic method is a must.

One company that has held my attention is https://www.onxmaps.com/. Primarly started as a resource for hunters, this company is growing and expanding into the more mainstream outdoors folk with their new app "Roam". What these GPS maps offer beyond the traditional is that they denote public and private land in great detail. I used this during an elk hunt several years back and found it to be spot on. This information has been extremely handy when overlanding as well since the New Mexico ranchers don't usually mark their property as private, and then some of them like to try to run you off of PUBLIC land as if it was their own. That being said; I'm thinking about converting to an Android tablet and running this app as my primary navigation.
@stringtwelve Just downloaded the Android App. Will try it out this weekend!

Reactions: Lifestyle Overland

Steve

lost again...
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler III

Lorain County, OH, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
None
Member #

Gaia worked great! That was the first time I've used it other than sitting on the couch, and it kept us well informed and was easy to use. There were some roads on the map not actually there, as well as the other way around, but that's the fault of the USGS map, not Gaia.

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
I am a GAIA user on iPad but also have it for Android. Orux Maps is really popular on Android, Free but accepts donations. Backcountry Navigator is probably 1st or 2nd in popularity.

Reactions: Mike G

ShawnR

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Bettendorf, Iowa, USA
First Name
Shawn
Last Name
Reimers
Member #

Service Branch
Army
I know how to use a grid map and a compass. I know how to use my Garmin. But I'm not up to speed on all these programs on tablets and computers. I have a Samsung Galaxy Tab 4. I think it has GPS. Would that be a decent tablet to use programs such as GAIA on?

Reactions: IronPercheron

Mike G

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

San Jose, CA
Member #

@Mike G Did you get the chance to play with the onxmaps?
I did at home, but I will have to do a field test to see how well I like it. Right now I have about 3 different GPS Apps on my phone. I just used Polaris last weekend and for some reason the maps didn't load. So now I'm down to two GPS Apps.

Influencer II

Riverside,CA
First Name
Steven
Last Name
Cochran
Member #

Gaia is the best $19 I ever spent. If you download the maps before hand it works offline !! I highly recommend it. Out of the 26 Jeeps I wheel with they all made fun of me for having it but after a first run in Truck Haven/Borrego Springs they all ask me where to go now lol.
One great feature is you can take pictures with it and it creates a waypoint for you !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mike G

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

San Jose, CA
Member #

Gaia is the best $19 I ever spent. If you download the maps before hand it works offline !! I highly recommend it. Out of the 26 Jeeps I wheel with they all made fun of me for having it but after a first run in Truck Haven/Borrego Springs they all ask me where to go now lol.
One great feature is you can take pictures with it and it creates a waypoint for you !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm hearing a lot of good things about Gaia. I should just bite the bullet and spend the $20.00

Reactions: ScorpioVI