Got my Letter today!

• HTML tutorial

Pazuzu1991

Rank IV

Advocate II

I got the letter allowing me to ship the Taco to Europe today. I had a lots of tension waiting to see what was going to happen. Learned a very valuable lesson. Although all the modification comply with TUV standards, I neglected to ask permission from the Bank that financed the truck. I only owe $17K on it but I was not looking forward to having to pay off the loan in order to ship the Vehicle. After a lot of back and fourth, they agreed. I had to pay for insurance up front and a bunch of other requirements, but its done. I'm so glad I decided to wait till I got there to buy the GS1200.

Pazuzu1991

Rank IV

Advocate II

Out of curiosity, why the R1200GS?
Are you asking why this bike specifically or what is the purpose for getting the bike?

Why this bike? Because its easy to get parts and it handles really good off and on road.

The purpose is to serve as a Pre runner and alternate vehicle. Also makes filming video a lot easier.

Last edited:

TreXTerra

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Salt Lake City, Utah
Member #

Both, I guess.

I rode the R1200GS and I wasn't terribly impressed with it. I found it very heavy, even with a low center of gravity; it is also notoriously expensive to own. BMW bikes as a whole are the most expensive bikes in terms of cost of ownership and repairs - they make Ducati look practical.

For a pre-runner, my choice would probably be a KTM, V-strom, Super Tenere, or even a Gen1 KLR-650. I had a KLR for a short while and found it to be the opposite of a BMW. BMW owners that I met would spend thousands of dollars on farkles and special aluminum cases. KLR owners wouldn't spend $10 if there was a $2 solution, no matter how bad it looked. Need some side cases? Bolt a couple ammo cans to the sub-frame and call it a day.

Don't get me wrong, the BMW is a big impressive bike, but I just think it is way too heavy to enjoy riding in the dirt - but that is just my opinion. As a touring bike I think it is fantastic, the long travel suspension will soak up rough pavement way better than my ST1300 or VFR800Fi could.

Pazuzu1991

Rank IV

Advocate II

I'm ok with the quirks of the GS, I'm a bulky guy 220lbs 6' and the bike fits my riding style, except when I get tired and it wants to kill me. I can't do the KLR or the DR for that matter, and I agree with your observations about the KLR guys lol. I like the Vstrom. I like it a lot actually but it's a bit fragile for what I'm going to put it trough. I can't do Ducs, I would never dare get it dirty or risk scratching the finish. I've considered the Tiger, but I have never actually ridden one so that's up in the air as far as an option. And I do all my repairs on my bikes, it helps.

Don't know, I guess I'm kinda sticking to what is familiar, don't want to make more changes than I have to. All of your points are valid and I agree with them. But the hart wants what the hart wants, ask any jeep or Land Rover guy.

Sent from my iPhone using Overland Bound Talk

Wolvee

ᕕ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡° ) ︻デ═一 pew pew
Staff member
Founder 500
Launch Member

Advocate II

Member #

Congratulations!

TreXTerra

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Salt Lake City, Utah
Member #

I'm ok with the quirks of the GS, I'm a bulky guy 220lbs 6' and the bike fits my riding style, except when I get tired and it wants to kill me. I can't do the KLR or the DR for that matter, and I agree with your observations about the KLR guys lol. I like the Vstrom. I like it a lot actually but it's a bit fragile for what I'm going to put it trough. I can't do Ducs, I would never dare get it dirty or risk scratching the finish. I've considered the Tiger, but I have never actually ridden one so that's up in the air as far as an option. And I do all my repairs on my bikes, it helps.

Don't know, I guess I'm kinda sticking to what is familiar, don't want to make more changes than I have to. All of your points are valid and I agree with them. But the hart wants what the hart wants, ask any jeep or Land Rover guy.

I understand. I'm 6'4" and 250#, so I'm no stranger to bikes feeling small on me. The R650GS might be another one to consider if you wanted a lighter and easier to handle machine and still be a BMW.

Pazuzu1991

Rank IV

Advocate II

Haven't considered the 650, the bike will be used 90/10 road off road. I can see where it would be best off road, but on road performance? I don't know, I've never ridden one so I'm making a lot of assumptions. The last 650 I rode was a SV, impressive little beast as it was, it had heavily moded suspension, wheels and exhaust. And that was in 2012.

TreXTerra

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Salt Lake City, Utah
Member #

Yeah, the R650GS is a whole different animal than the SV650. Another to consider for that split would be a Triumph Tiger 800, I have a friend who uses one as a Sport Touring machine and she loves it.

Pazuzu1991

Rank IV

Advocate II

The Tiger is a consideration, but like I had mentioned, I've never actually ridden one. Folks that I have spoken to who own one love it. But until my butt gets some saddle time on the bike it's just good to know info. Most people lack objectivity when it comes to things of passion. Bikes are things of passion. On paper it's perfect and I absolutely love how the tiger looks.But last time I committed to something based on looks, and how things looked on paper I was miserable for seven years until I finally decided to get a divorce. [emoji39]

Last edited:

TreXTerra

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Salt Lake City, Utah
Member #

I have no emotional attachment to the Tiger, but I sure liked it more than the BMW. It's a very personal choice, I recommend you go take one for a spin.

The Tiger feels like riding a horse, the R1200GS felt like riding a hippo. Neither is particularly small or agile, but the Tiger is considerably more so than the big BMW.

Pazuzu1991

Rank IV

Advocate II

Ha! I call it the pig, I hate going down tight lose gravel switchbacks. After a few minutes of that I want to get off the bike and walk it. Other than that, it's bearable. I'm going to look into the Tiger, I was planing to, more so now than before. I want a used one so when I drop it, I won't feel so bad. I'm one of those guys that scratches his helmet after buying it, just to get it out of the way. How far did you ride it, how was it loaded, what MPG's did you get. How bad is the wind buffeting? Hands go numb?

TreXTerra

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Salt Lake City, Utah
Member #

The Tiger I found to be very comfortable, but there was some wind buffeting. A friend of mine solved that by just removing the windscreen in the middle of the ride. The engine wasn't buzzy at all and the upright position meant my hands didn't go numb.

The R1200GS was a little buzzy, but I only got to ride it around in town. The torque was good, but I thought the high-end was too limited and I kept hitting the rev limiter. The big thing that got me on the R1200GS was just how goddamned big that bike is - and I currently ride an ST1300! It was absolutely massive and even for a guy my size I thought it was way too large and heavy to be an effective adventure bike - I would compare it more to a full-dress touring bike to be honest.

I rode a Multistrada 1200, which I know isn't what you want, but it was much lighter, easier to handle, and just an all around better bike than the BMW. It's faster, has better power delivery, is smoother, and just plain fantastic to ride. Check out the Pike's Peak edition, it is a bit more off-road focused and has crash bars (if memory serves). Seriously, this is one of the most balanced, well rounded bikes I've ever ridden. In Sport mode it is super-bike fast and agile while in Enduro mode it soaks up the bumps and is far more forgiving. For a 90-10 pavement-off road split, I would consider the Multi with some 80-20 tires.

Murphy Slaw

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Southern Illinois
Member #

The "G" 650GS (single) is being discontinued. This is the last year.

The "F" 650GS was the twin 800 tuned down, they also called one an "F" 700 GS.

(except they used to call the singles the "F" ) sheeze.....

I've never heard of an "R" 650GS.

Did you mean the old R65GS?

I'm talking myself out of a KLR, they are just too damned tall............

Robert OB 33/48

Rank VI
Founder 500

Pathfinder III

Gaanderen
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Keim
Member #

I had the SV650S and it was a beast. Loved it.
But happy to hear you can ship your car to Europe.
Soon, I have another Overland Bound man to drive with in Europe.

It will be fun.