Contributor III

Oregon, USA
First Name
James
Last Name
Denton
Service Branch
Army NG Veteran
Someone point me in the direction for a good anti theft clamp for securing tools on a bed rack. I’m currently using quick fist clamps and it’s pretty darn easy for someone to just come up and take my tools I have secured. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
thanks!

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
Don't mount tools worth stealing. Any kind of locking doo dad just fails on the trail when you need them the most.

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

put it inside, if they see the bling someone will take the challenge to steal it..... they might just take the whole truck if it looks good enough

Reactions: JimmyD

JimmyD

Rank I

Contributor III

Oregon, USA
First Name
James
Last Name
Denton
Service Branch
Army NG Veteran
put it inside, if they see the bling someone will take the challenge to steal it..... they might just take the whole truck if it looks good enough
Yep, I’ve been worrying about that too. Just take the axe, break the window, take the truck….no bueno!

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
Equipment such as shovels, axes, etc. that are mounted on the outside of the rig look like expedition and adventure. Nevertheless, I also always recommend to transport such things in the inside. Not only because of the possibility of theft, but it is also better for the tools if they are not exposed to the weather, UV radiation, etc. And as was written before, a theft mechanism will only be a hindrance if you need the tool yourself. Keeping them inside with easy access is what I do.

Another example: Often we see very fancy mounts for marston matts and recovery boards with some modern attachments, anti-theft etc. If you then really need the board, it will take a long time to get it out of the holder, small parts like the fastening screws can fall down and disappear into the sand or mud, etc. Well, recovery boards are a bit more difficult to transport inside the rig but there are simple solutions for keeping them outside also - keep it simple.

armyRN

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Longview, WA
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Dickinson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7TSP
Bike cable locks. Will deter the grab and go thief.

Reactions: JimmyD

LostWoods

Rank IV
Launch Member

Member III

Phoenix, AZ, USA
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
lastname
Member #

They are not cheap and have gone up about 50% since I bought mine (with a further discount... was about $350 for 4) but I have never once worried about them coming loose or the tool being stolen. That's more than I can say about rubber mounts that dry rot fairly quickly.

The clamps cost as much as definitely more than the tools they carried but IMO the last place I want to lose or have a shovel/axe stolen is mid-trip when I have no way to easily replace them.

Quick edit addition... if you have a Tacoma/Tundra, they sell these in a Toyota version that includes an add-on piece to support when mounted to the bed rail system. That's why I initially bought them as it was a very secure system to hold things without having them out in the open on my bed rack.

Last edited:

PCO6

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Newmarket, Ontario
First Name
Stew
Last Name
Beatty
Member #

I use a Sportrack lock for my axe and shovel. I made a cable to loop the shovel handle to the lock. Both are mounted to the box on the tongue of my trailer.

22-06-01 8.JPG

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
locks are just physical deterrents, what you want are mental deterrents...
wipe some blood on the shovel and have some dried blood with tufts of hair stuck to the openly mounted hi-lift
a thief might look at it, but they sure wont touch it... :grinning:

1654690013855.png

FishinCrzy

Rank V

Advocate I

South Carolina, USA
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Duncan
Member #

Service Branch
StateHazmatResponder
Never had anything associated with manual labor get gone. However, that was the reason I put a Diamondback cover on the bed of my truck to secure the more valuable things. I don't leave my truck for long when I am out and about but anything is possible. I guess that's why I pay insurance on the major components. And, generally avoid people altogether. I know other's situations don't allow for that and securing equipment is important. I hope being out in the boonies and away from the general population lessens the chances of being around the criminal element. I try not to park where my rig can be seen from thoroughfares. With the economy seemingly degrading I'm sure there will be more desperate peoples roaming around. Maybe $5+ gas will keep them closer to populated areas where I don't spend much time. I'm interested to see how youse guise secure your stuff.

FishinCrzy

Rank V

Advocate I

South Carolina, USA
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Duncan
Member #

Service Branch
StateHazmatResponder
Just leave all that stuff in the garage and put in on when you go camping.
I see work trucks at the grocery store and places that have all kinds of valuable tools like chainsaws, etc., sitting in the back. I always wonder what their thinking is. First crackhead comes along would be all over that. Most of the petty theft I have ever been aware of was at some point tied to someone with a drug habit, along with tools and the like not being well secured and fairly easy to grab and go. Chainsaws, guns, laptops, are easy to carry and sell. Shovels, picks, axes, fire extinguishers, recovery gear, may be in a less preferred category but who knows what a thief is thinking. I hear of the occasional theft of whole campsites. Yikes! Maybe the extra trouble of packing my RTT and stuff just to run a mile down the road to a fishing hole isn't that big of a chore after all. A hidden ignition kill switch might be worth the trouble.

Reactions: Ubiety

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
With the economy seemingly degrading
Seemingly? ;)
Just leave all that stuff in the garage and put in on when you go camping.
But then you would not get the cred afforded to you at the local Starbucks! Must display overlanding gear at all times!!! Hahaha

@LostWoods - thanks for link to QuickLatch product, evaluating...

OTH Overland

Local Expert Washington, USA
Investor

Trail Blazer III

Camano Island, WA, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Ballard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N7XQP
Service Branch
Fire/EMS/SAR
We try to minimize leaving our rigs anywhere unattended for any length of time, we do use basic protection (padlocks/cables/security fasteners) on the items that have theft apeal or are easy to remove, such as RTT, max trax and liquid gold (gas) cans. Michelle parks outside her work window, I work from home, and we have security cameras and alarm, so mostly we are worried about tweakers passing by while we are at the store and grabing items, and so far at least the basic locks have kept anything from disapearing. if someone has tools and enough time they will get what they want, but that is what insurance is for, and we limit the exposure time as much as possible. When we head off highway or anywhere we may likely need any items we will remove said locks and cables in advance to allow quick access to the goodies. Around here the worst place to leave a rig is at a movie theater or at a hiking trailhead, and seems the most sought after thing to steal there is your registration from the glove box, so they have your address and know that you are busy for a while and can clean out your house.

Reactions: JimmyD and Ubiety