Going out to Utah for the White Rim Trail - would love to have someone local join up!

• HTML tutorial

Garrett Strand

Rank 0
Launch Member

Traveler I

Minnesota
Member #

Hi everyone!

New to these forums and I'll try to keep this brief. Over Memorial week, me and (hopefully) one other friend of mine are driving from Minnesota to the state of Utah to drive the White Rim Trail. Our campsite reservations are made for Taylor campsite on the 29th, and Airport D on the 30th. We both drive Nissan Xterra's (mine a '10 SE, his a '12 Pro-4X)

We have room on our permits for 1 or 2 more vehicles and it would be great to have a local 'guide' tag along. All we ask is that you pay your own entrance fee, and bring your own gear/food/recovery equipment.

If you are interested, please let me know!

BCBrian

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Boulder Creek, CA
Member #

Too bad you are not coming a week earlier! goneMOAB is the largest gathering of nissan enthusiasts in the USA. We are expecting 200+ rigs this year for the week long event. Only the Easter Jeep Safari has a larger gathering in Moab!

Here is a link to the website in case you would like to attend next year - http://gonemoab.com/

Have a great trip!

Garrett Strand

Rank 0
Launch Member

Traveler I

Minnesota
Member #

Too bad you are not coming a week earlier! goneMOAB is the largest gathering of nissan enthusiasts in the USA. We are expecting 200+ rigs this year for the week long event. Only the Easter Jeep Safari has a larger gathering in Moab!

Here is a link to the website in case you would like to attend next year - http://gonemoab.com/

Have a great trip!
Huh. Can't believe I forgot about that. Pretty poor planning on my part. Maybe I'll reschedule, if the boss let's me change my vacation dates. If I can't I'll be sure register for next year!

AlOrMi

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Kennesaw, Georgia
Member #

Hi everyone!

New to these forums and I'll try to keep this brief. Over Memorial week, me and (hopefully) one other friend of mine are driving from Minnesota to the state of Utah to drive the White Rim Trail. Our campsite reservations are made for Taylor campsite on the 29th, and Airport D on the 30th. We both drive Nissan Xterra's (mine a '10 SE, his a '12 Pro-4X)

We have room on our permits for 1 or 2 more vehicles and it would be great to have a local 'guide' tag along. All we ask is that you pay your own entrance fee, and bring your own gear/food/recovery equipment.

If you are interested, please let me know!
Thanks for the offer. We will be in the Maze District exploring after leaving Overland Expo West. My wife and and I did a similar trip last September but in reverse. The trail to Taylor was virtually gone after about midway. You will need to follow the wash. Keep in mind that flash floods will follow the wash as well. Taylor camp is awesome. Must hike to the base of Moses and Zeus. Also, stop at White Crack camp (about 1/2 way to Airport) and hike out to the end, A MUST.... Keep in mind getting out of Taylor may take a while and you'll have a long drive to Airport. Have fun and be safe.

Sent from my Pixel XL using OB Talk mobile app

Garrett Strand

Rank 0
Launch Member

Traveler I

Minnesota
Member #

Thanks for the offer. We will be in the Maze District exploring after leaving Overland Expo West. My wife and and I did a similar trip last September but in reverse. The trail to Taylor was virtually gone after about midway. You will need to follow the wash. Keep in mind that flash floods will follow the wash as well. Taylor camp is awesome. Must hike to the base of Moses and Zeus. Also, stop at White Crack camp (about 1/2 way to Airport) and hike out to the end, A MUST.... Keep in mind getting out of Taylor may take a while and you'll have a long drive to Airport. Have fun and be safe.

Hey super useful info!

Can you tell me if the trail to Taylor was difficult because of it being gone? Was the wash easy to follow (in terms of not getting lost vs difficulty).

My plan was actually to enter around Murphy then double back to Taylor on the first day.

Any other tips?

AlOrMi

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Kennesaw, Georgia
Member #

Hey super useful info!

Can you tell me if the trail to Taylor was difficult because of it being gone? Was the wash easy to follow (in terms of not getting lost vs difficulty).

My plan was actually to enter around Murphy then double back to Taylor on the first day.

Any other tips?
You enter the trail to Taylor from the White Rim near the intersection of Labyrinth campsite. Keep in mind we were there in October 2017 so trail conditions may have changed. The wash was very doable. We were in a single Jeep JKU and I felt confident. If you are using navigation via GPS you will maintain the original trail/mountain to your left as you head to Taylor camp. Don't stray to far away (a few hundred yards) from the original trail and you're good. At times we crossed the wash and picked it up again. If ground gets to soft, search by foot. You may get lucky and find tracks. Remember it's out/back and if you have rain in the forecast, I'd personally stay away and find another spot. Don't let this information scare you away, give it a shot. You can always camp on the Taylor Trail and I'm sure the park service will understand, if they see you.IMG_20171229_074554.jpg