Gobi Stealth Rack Awning Brackets

• HTML tutorial

Don Meredith

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Greenville, SC
Member #

I have a Gobi Stealth on my 2016 Wrangler Unlimited. My RTT is the 4-person Tepui Kukenam and I recently added the newer RhinoRack batwing awning. I mounted the awning with a bracket kit from GZilla and it is BOMBER but it fits way too close to the tent making it almost impossible to zip / unzip the tent cover and I'm not able to put in the metal stays in to hold up the rain fly over the tent window on that side. The awning mounts from Gobi would be perfect but they're currently quoting 8-12 weeks wait best case.

Does anyone have other solutions that work or leads on something I could chase down? Thanks in advance for the help!!

Capture.PNG

McGrizzly

Rank VI
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Half Moon Bay
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
McGraw
Member #

i was toying with the idea of just painting some unistrui black witih unistrut clips. but i am curious to see who has a better solution.

one thing i did think about was just using the cross support bars, or "tent bars" or whatever you call them up top. they have bolts that could be doubled up for an L bracket. The tepui awning came with some pretty stout L brackets that we cut down to fit on our trailer. just an idea, if tepui ever gets our awning refunded and the correct one out to us, ill let you know how my little idea goes. haha

brien

Sonoran Space Program
Staff member

Off-Road Ranger I

Tucson, AZ
First Name
Brien
Last Name
Wankel
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K7XPO

Don Meredith

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Greenville, SC
Member #

The ones at the link don't get the awning away from the side of the tent enough to solve my problem I don't think. I may end up playing around with some 1" 80/20 stock to see if I can make something cool.

brien

Sonoran Space Program
Staff member

Off-Road Ranger I

Tucson, AZ
First Name
Brien
Last Name
Wankel
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K7XPO
I will say that the Fourtreks universal bracket mount rings are awesome. My issue is with the way the Foxwing awning bracket part of it attaches. The point where it attaches to the universal ring is unfortunately centered on the bracket, but it in fact needs to be off-set to one side to account for the shallow depth of the gobi rack and allow it to sit upright. This would still only have it held out only an inch or two from the rack bar, which probably still won't hold it out far enough for you from the sound of it.

Perhaps you can make some kind of spacer for your current brackets to allow the awning to be pushed out another inch or so from the rack?

Sgt12XU

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Sunnyvale, CA
Member #

Well, I have a Gobi Stealth rack on my JKUR with a RTT and Rhino Rack Batwing awning. I tried the Foutreks mounts and they didn’t work. So, I used these brackets and they worked great. To the OP, I don’t think any brackets will allow you to use the tent rainfly supports if you have a Batwing awning next to a RTT that opens sideways (not front to back).

https://www.rackoutfitters.com/rhino-rack-31103-foxwing-batwing-awning-bracket-for-arb-and-tjm-racks/

I simply slid my RTT toward the passenger side to make room during the bracket installation. They’re strong brackets. Thick weldments with gussets. Affordable too. Here you can see how I installed them, with the tent slid over. I placed a rubber strip underneath the forward bracket, preventing it from going metal to metal. After install, I slid my RTT back over and tightened the RTT bolts. Done!

E56D8A1D-0D6D-4D00-966A-B933E14EEB69.jpeg 0B583970-D330-4248-A485-AE9605FDD829.jpeg

See my setup here:

Last edited: