Go Tread vs Max Traxx?

• HTML tutorial

OutOfStep

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

San Diego, CA, USA
Member #

I have a set of Go Treads and recently baught some maxx tracks. The Go Treads work fine for about 85% of my needs and I love how they fold down to store. They packed perfectly into the bottom of a plano case i keep all my recovery gear in. I got out of snow and sand fine with them. I had some issues twice in mudd with them. 1 time it might have been my older tires as much as the go treads. The 2nd time i was having a hard time keeping them unfolded while trying to get them into the mud I was stuck in. This had to do with the angle I had to work from. After that I went and bought some maxx tracks. As it would have been safer to not have to crawl over a rock and almost under my jeep to get the tracks in the correct place. Since the go treads fit in my plano case I still have them as part of my kit but carry the maxx tracks as well. One thing i do like about the maxx tracks is that I can use them as a mini bridge/ramp with my jeep. I have never needed to do it but it's a nice option. And to be honest if I had not had that once in 200 event where I was crawling into a "unsafe" position to keep the go treads unfolded and positioned I would have never even though of switching then out.

Hope this helps.
great review, I don't have any recovery gear yet, but I'm stuck between those two when it comes to traction boards

MEB77

Rank IV
Launch Member

Traveler I

San Rafael, ca
Member #

great review, I don't have any recovery gear yet, but I'm stuck between those two when it comes to traction boards
My advice would be to save the money and buy the go treads and use the money saved to buy other recovery gear that you will need. As it all quicky adds up in cost. I think the 2 things I have used most are my shovel and my recovery strap. And a good jack is always handy.

Reactions: Desert Runner

OutOfStep

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

San Diego, CA, USA
Member #

My advice would be to save the money and buy the go treads and use the money saved to buy other recovery gear that you will need. As it all quicky adds up in cost. I think the 2 things I have used most are my shovel and my recovery strap. And a good jack is always handy.
man that's a good advice, and yea that is true, all that stuff do add up

Tupenny

Rank V
Investor

Pathfinder I

Longwood, Florida
First Name
Boulder
Last Name
Dash
Member #

I have been thinking about adding tracks to my kit recently as I start to get deeper in my travels. The X Bull is $70 for a pair vs $340 for the top brand. I inherently research and save up to buy the equipment that will give me years of use and reliability, without question, when needed. However, I can’t see how there is that much difference in quality and reliability between the two, to justify that much of of a price difference?

Someone with better knowledge perhaps could educate me? For now, I have added the XBull to my list.

OutOfStep

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

San Diego, CA, USA
Member #

I have been thinking about adding tracks to my kit recently as I start to get deeper in my travels. The X Bull is $70 for a pair vs $340 for the top brand. I inherently research and save up to buy the equipment that will give me years of use and reliability, without question, when needed. However, I can’t see how there is that much difference in quality and reliability between the two, to justify that much of of a price difference?

Someone with better knowledge perhaps could educate me? For now, I have added the XBull to my list.
Ive heard a lot of positive reviews for the xbulls, mostly about the price and how its pretty much the same. Does the job, it bridges great. The only downside is they don’t stack well if you have multiple xbulls.

jkxj

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

las vegas
maxtraxx is austrailian. but when are the minis going to come to market? they look like they fit the bill just fine. for everything other than deep mud.

Reactions: Nomadik Nova

jcwrench

Rank 0

Contributor I

I have a set of Go Treads and recently baught some maxx tracks. The Go Treads work fine for about 85% of my needs and I love how they fold down to store. They packed perfectly into the bottom of a plano case i keep all my recovery gear in. I got out of snow and sand fine with them. I had some issues twice in mudd with them. 1 time it might have been my older tires as much as the go treads. The 2nd time i was having a hard time keeping them unfolded while trying to get them into the mud I was stuck in. This had to do with the angle I had to work from. After that I went and bought some maxx tracks. As it would have been safer to not have to crawl over a rock and almost under my jeep to get the tracks in the correct place. Since the go treads fit in my plano case I still have them as part of my kit but carry the maxx tracks as well. One thing i do like about the maxx tracks is that I can use them as a mini bridge/ramp with my jeep. I have never needed to do it but it's a nice option. And to be honest if I had not had that once in 200 event where I was crawling into a "unsafe" position to keep the go treads unfolded and positioned I would have never even though of switching then out.

Hope this helps.
Love your signature!

Reactions: MuckSavage

Desert Runner

Rank VII
Launch Member

Expedition Master III

Southern Nevada
First Name
Jerold
Last Name
F.
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
/GMRS=WREA307

This is the exact senament I have. If 85% of what you encounter will be covered.....why oh why would you spend 3 x the cash for a marginal 15%. Unless your....ALWAYS using them....ALL THE TIME...I can not see the justification for such a large outlay.of cash. I posted on another thread about this also.
There are so many competitive brands coming on-line. Some just rebranded, as most come from China. If you got the extra money to buy the popular top tier tracks....go ahead. If they will be an addition to your recovery gear, and not used very often....BUY A CHEAPER version. Your pocket will thank you in almost all respects.[emoji2] [emoji2] [emoji2] [emoji2] [emoji2] when combined with other recovery gear...most situations will be covered.

This thread subject carries A lot of interest, and I enjoy all members points of view, And opinions on this.

OutOfStep

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

San Diego, CA, USA
Member #

I just bought the go tread. I went with them because it’s foldable and takes less space and also can be use as leveling blocks. And most of all, they have lifetime warranty on them. I have not used it though, so we will see, although I know the military uses them
IMG_0848.JPG
IMG_0852.JPG

Desert Runner

Rank VII
Launch Member

Expedition Master III

Southern Nevada
First Name
Jerold
Last Name
F.
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
/GMRS=WREA307

If you haven't bought them yet,.....E Bay has another X Bull copy....ostrich? For $69 right now. Just ordered mine, awaiting delivery.

See my purchase and reason in the thread... latest buy and what do you plan to buy. Was to good to pass on...tethers and bag included.

I'm tempted to buy another set very soon at this price.

Tupenny

Rank V
Investor

Pathfinder I

Longwood, Florida
First Name
Boulder
Last Name
Dash
Member #

If you haven't bought them yet,.....E Bay has another X Bull copy....ostrich? For $69 right now. Just ordered mine, awaiting delivery.

See my purchase and reason in the thread... latest buy and what do you plan to buy. Was to good to pass on...tethers and bag included.

Nice, I'll check those out. Thanks for the heads up.

MuckSavage

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

South Jersey, NJ, USA
First Name
Tim
Last Name
McG
Member #

Not to hi-jack but I have X-Bulls. I’ve used the a few times to help folks out In the snow & ive stressed “easy, don’t spin the tires”.
This week, at work, I had a rubber track excavator stuck at a wet clay lake bank. Stuffed the X Bull’s under the tracks & it inched it’s way up the bank after multiple repositioning of the x Bulls.

Tupenny

Rank V
Investor

Pathfinder I

Longwood, Florida
First Name
Boulder
Last Name
Dash
Member #

Liked what I saw and can't beat the cost, just ordered the green set. I'm sure it'll do just fine in the beach sand and Florida wet trails. Thanks again

Desert Runner

Rank VII
Launch Member

Expedition Master III

Southern Nevada
First Name
Jerold
Last Name
F.
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
/GMRS=WREA307
A thought:

With the mounting holes at the end of X Bull boards and their copies. Could you not use some H/D ZIP TIES to create a continuous road of boards?

Does anyone know if the MAX TRAX connecting straps would work on other board brands ?

I'm just musing on possible alternatives......input welcomed.

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
With the mounting holes at the end of X Bull boards and their copies. Could you not use some H/D ZIP TIES to create a continuous road of boards?
There's an idea. All I need to do now is get my second set back from my friend.
One mod I do is, tie a length of cord to the back end. When I'm moving, it flips the boards over and drags them. That way they don't dig in and if I cant stop, I don't have to walk a half mile to pick them up.