Go Tread vs Max Traxx?

• HTML tutorial

VegasKid

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Las Vegas, NV
Member #

Has anyone used the Go Treads over Max Traxx? From what I'm seeing it seems like the Go Treads work just as well if not better in sand and snow, but not sure about mud. The Go Treads are nearly 1/3 the price and storage is a lot simpler for them. Really leaning this way, but was wondering if anyone had any pros the max traxx can do the go treads can't besides bridging. Also if anyone has used the Go Treads in mud and if their are any disadvantages to them in that situation.

JCWages

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Grass Valley, CA, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Wages
Member #

I'm sure you've seen this review/test but for those who have not...

He doesn't test the GoTreads but he does test the TractionJacks which are another folding design.

https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/traction-board-review-tred-maxtrax-traction-jack-maxsa.470774/

It seems like most of the traction aids readily available to use work well and some just work better than others while some are more easily carried due to size and design. The folding designs may not work as well as the Maxtrax but their compact design means they are more likely to be carried in a vehicle full time and will be there when you (or another motorist) need them in those unexpected situations.

I went with Maxsa because I'm cheap but I rarely have them in the truck. I'm considering a smaller folding design to keep in the truck fulltime.

systemdelete

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Nashville, TN
First Name
Erik
Last Name
Rumbaugh
Member #

Volume wise they seem very close to the same size once you're comparing 4 vs 4. The Maxtrax also allow linking to make long stretches of continuous traction aid though I've yet to use mine like that. I also like how the MT mount outside my vehicle before and after use, I couldn't imagine bringing them back in after use some days in the mud.

I've also seen several folding varieties end up wrapping the tire rather than giving traction, especially on vehicles with higher crawl ratios or abrupt torque such as a manual transmission letting the clutch out suddenly.

Last edited:

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
Ive used X-Bull and Maxx Trax side by side in some nasty, slimy sticky mud (not saying how we ended up there). They both worked for us equally. I don't think a folding design would have worked as well, in our situation. To the comment on putting muddy traction aids back inside your vehicle, lets just say I'm glad a had a spot on my roof for them.

Scott

Reactions: Desert Runner

SubeeBen

Rank V

Advocate I

Alpine, CA
First Name
Ben
Last Name
Jacques
Member #

AC5F1044-248C-4C0F-B9AE-6E22B76BD8CF.jpeg Just used my x-Bull traction boards for the first time today. We were out in anza Borrego desert checking out the metal sculptures & bam sunk in the sand. Worked amazing. Told the wife joking around that I wanted to get stuck the night before so we could check out the x-bulls & low & behold it happened. Dug out sand in front of the front & rear tires, placed boards in front & drove right out without having to deflate tires. Just my 2 cents & didn’t have to break the bank as I got 2 sets on sale on eBay for $ 150 ish.

Pathfinder I

Pacific Northwest
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Claggett
Service Branch
U. S. Army
View attachment 75639 Just used my x-Bull traction boards for the first time today. We were out in anza Borrego desert checking out the metal sculptures & bam sunk in the sand. Worked amazing. Told the wife joking around that I wanted to get stuck the night before so we could check out the x-bulls & low & behold it happened. Dug out sand in front of the front & rear tires, placed boards in front & drove right out without having to deflate tires. Just my 2 cents & didn’t have to break the bank as I got 2 sets on sale on eBay for $ 150 ish.

Same experience here, when playing at Sand Lake I've gotten in deep, soft sand. The x-bulls made it so easy to drive out. I need to pick up a second set.

MuckSavage

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

South Jersey, NJ, USA
First Name
Tim
Last Name
McG
Member #

I have the X-Bulls as well. Used them a dozen or so times when I drove a 2wd Ranger for work. They performed as they should although I was always aware that wheel spin may damage them so i treated them right. Once though, I came across a guy in a sedan stuck in the snow. After placing them under his front tires, I told him "easy on the throttle, DO NOT spin your tires". Well, he went easy, pulled up onto the boards then nailed it but fortunately he was turning so he drove off the side of the boards. He did distort the shape of a few of the lugs, but they still function properly. I'm happy with the X-Bull product

Reactions: Desert Runner

James Deaton

Rank V

Pathfinder I

Just don't spin tires on them! Another good point. They're available in BLACK! Not just "look at me & what i got"
I bought orange for a reason... After watching all the Expedition Overland series I became aware that the MaxTrax are always left behind in the mud, or the water, and their orange color made them very easy to find. When I recently got stuck in a slow moving river the X-Bulls showed me right where they were after getting towed out.

I work at an RV shop and its the same thing with chocks, I always recommend bright colors so it is easier to see them and not leave them behind...

In this case the "look at me orange" is a very functional thing.

James

OutOfStep

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

San Diego, CA, USA
Member #

I bought orange for a reason... After watching all the Expedition Overland series I became aware that the MaxTrax are always left behind in the mud, or the water, and their orange color made them very easy to find. When I recently got stuck in a slow moving river the X-Bulls showed me right where they were after getting towed out.

I work at an RV shop and its the same thing with chocks, I always recommend bright colors so it is easier to see them and not leave them behind...

In this case the "look at me orange" is a very functional thing.

James
I also agree to this!

MEB77

Rank IV
Launch Member

Traveler I

San Rafael, ca
Member #

I have a set of Go Treads and recently baught some maxx tracks. The Go Treads work fine for about 85% of my needs and I love how they fold down to store. They packed perfectly into the bottom of a plano case i keep all my recovery gear in. I got out of snow and sand fine with them. I had some issues twice in mudd with them. 1 time it might have been my older tires as much as the go treads. The 2nd time i was having a hard time keeping them unfolded while trying to get them into the mud I was stuck in. This had to do with the angle I had to work from. After that I went and bought some maxx tracks. As it would have been safer to not have to crawl over a rock and almost under my jeep to get the tracks in the correct place. Since the go treads fit in my plano case I still have them as part of my kit but carry the maxx tracks as well. One thing i do like about the maxx tracks is that I can use them as a mini bridge/ramp with my jeep. I have never needed to do it but it's a nice option. And to be honest if I had not had that once in 200 event where I was crawling into a "unsafe" position to keep the go treads unfolded and positioned I would have never even though of switching then out.

Hope this helps.