Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Awesome! I just got my call sign a few days ago: WRPG822
Fredericksburg, VA

A co worker introduced GMRS to me about 1 weeks ago. I am still researching and playing around with it also. My co worker and I have been talking about going in together to get permission from the fire chief to put up a repeater at the fire house. We dont have any known repeaters in our area. I got the wife on board and she is excited about the radios now so will likely get some mobile units installed in the jeeps in the near future.

I am playing around with possibly studying up to get my HAM license too so I can reach out further and chat.

Good luck with your new hobby.
Good luck on that one… The equipment needed to put a repeater up that close to an EMS is going to be costly as not to interfere with the fire station UFH radio equipment… the costly part is the duplexers needed. The second thing, you’re going to have to explain how GMRS is better than their Motorola equipment they are already using and why both GMRS and commercial radio is the way to go. This is easy for amateur radio clubs to do… not so easy for GMRS.

Reactions: MadMedic

Walt_Felix

Rank I

Enthusiast I

East Hartland, CT
First Name
Walter
Last Name
Felix
I have the radio bracket screwed to the center console just to the right of the shifter with the mic hanging from a clip mounted on the grab bar.

Just have it temporarily wired to a 12v plug. I still need to route power wires to my switch control box under the hood.

For the antenna, I'm using a 3db gain Ghost mounted on the fender on the drivers side.

I ran the cable across the top of the firewall and pushed it through on the passenger side via small foam hole hidden behind this panel on the side of the dash.

MadMedic

Rank V

Trail Mechanic II

Fredericksburg, VA, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
McCamley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS: WRPG822
Service Branch
Fredericksburg FD
I have the radio bracket screwed to the center console just to the right of the shifter with the mic hanging from a clip mounted on the grab bar.

Just have it temporarily wired to a 12v plug. I still need to route power wires to my switch control box under the hood.
I like that!!! Thank you for sharing. The Ghost mount antenna is super slick too.

MadMedic

Rank V

Trail Mechanic II

Fredericksburg, VA, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
McCamley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Service Branch
Fredericksburg FD
Good luck on that one… The equipment needed to put a repeater up that close to an EMS is going to be costly as not to interfere with the fire station UFH radio equipment… the costly part is the duplexers needed. The second thing, you’re going to have to explain how GMRS is better than their Motorola equipment they are already using and why both GMRS and commercial radio is the way to go. This is easy for amateur radio clubs to do… not so easy for GMRS.
Good input.
There is a local HAM club ( Rappahannock Valley Amateur Radio Club Home Page)
I should probably reach out to them and get more info from them too
Thank you M Rose

Reactions: M Rose

ChadHahn

Rank III

Advocate I

Tucson, AZ
First Name
Chad
Last Name
Hahn
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KC0POB
For the antenna, I'm using a 3db gain Ghost mounted on the fender on the drivers side.

You should look into getting the Midland 6dB antenna. I live about 3 miles from work and often have my 275 scanning as I'm driving and can often hear a conversation on simplex pretty much the whole way home.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Awesome! I just got my call sign a few days ago: WRPG822
Fredericksburg, VA

A co worker introduced GMRS to me about 1 weeks ago. I am still researching and playing around with it also. My co worker and I have been talking about going in together to get permission from the fire chief to put up a repeater at the fire house. We dont have any known repeaters in our area. I got the wife on board and she is excited about the radios now so will likely get some mobile units installed in the jeeps in the near future.

I am playing around with possibly studying up to get my HAM license too so I can reach out further and chat.

Good luck with your new hobby.
You might try and see if you can hit any of these 5 repeaters.

Prerunner1982

Local Expert, Oklahoma USA
Launch Member

Member III

Navina, Oklahoma
First Name
Jon
Last Name
B
Member #

Good input.
Thank you M Rose
What frequency does the FD use? They aren't listed on RadioReference. The Spotsylvania County Sheriff uses VHF, if the FD does also there isn't really an issue with interference. Also, vertical separation on the tower helps mitigate what little interference there may be.

MadMedic

Rank V

Trail Mechanic II

Fredericksburg, VA, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
McCamley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Service Branch
Fredericksburg FD
Good input.
Thank you M Rose
What frequency does the FD use? They aren't listed on RadioReference. The Spotsylvania County Sheriff uses VHF, if the FD does also there isn't really an issue with interference. Also, vertical separation on the tower helps mitigate what little interference there may be.
Fredericksburg is on the same system as Stafford County and we have interoperability with Spotsylvania and NOVA. The frequency question, I will have to find out. I've never really paid attention to the radio specs. This is a whole new world to me.

Prerunner1982

Launch Member

Member III

Navina, Oklahoma
First Name
Jon
Last Name
B
Member #

Reactions: M Rose and MadMedic

jfuzz

Rank I

Contributor III

Denver, CO, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Hill
Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS: WRJF928
I'm new here and just browsing around for info. I've really gotten into GMRS for our adventures, but most of the time we're going solo and use the radios for spotting and general hiking and camp comms. I'm surprised more people don't get past the standard issue Midlands as there are so many options.
I found the company Radioddity makes all that I could ever need and at very fair prices.

Radioddity DB20-G (20w) w/ magnet mount Nagoya UT-72G antenna - Hard wired into the van
Radioddity GM-30 (5w) w/ Nagoya 701G 5.5" antenna - handheld, but mostly stays in hiking backpack with external mic
Radioddity GM-N1 (3w) - Pair of these gems. They have the stubby fixed antennas but work very well
Midland GXT1000 - Pair for guest comms mainly

I just started to get organized with channels and have now set channels 16 & 18 as my primaries with DCS codes. Then I designated channel 6 with DCS for hiking and around camp with handhelds.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
I'm new here and just browsing around for info. I've really gotten into GMRS for our adventures, but most of the time we're going solo and use the radios for spotting and general hiking and camp comms. I'm surprised more people don't get past the standard issue Midlands as there are so many options.
I found the company Radioddity makes all that I could ever need and at very fair prices.

Radioddity DB20-G (20w) w/ magnet mount Nagoya UT-72G antenna - Hard wired into the van
Radioddity GM-30 (5w) w/ Nagoya 701G 5.5" antenna - handheld, but mostly stays in hiking backpack with external mic
Radioddity GM-N1 (3w) - Pair of these gems. They have the stubby fixed antennas but work very well
Midland GXT1000 - Pair for guest comms mainly

I just started to get organized with channels and have now set channels 16 & 18 as my primaries with DCS codes. Then I designated channel 6 with DCS for hiking and around camp with handhelds.
Very few of us actually use Midland Radios for GMRS. As you pointed out there are a lot of other radios that are better, have more features, and much cheaper.

Going solo however GMRS is the worst radio service to have. Yes giving a radio to family members for hikes and spotting is great, but can be achieved with cheap FRS radios. However in the event you need to get a hold of someone, chances are you’re not going to reach them. Especially in Colorado.

Z Adventures

Rank VI
Investor

Pathfinder III

Georgia, United States
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Zeilenga
Member #

I have a Wouxun (pronounced Ocean) KG-1000G mounted on a Quadratec quick disconnect universal cb radio mount and a Midland Ghost antenna mounted on a cowl bolt using Rugged Ridge MT-ANT-JEEP-DS. Not real happy with the SWR reading on the Ghost antenna though. It's 2.23 and should ideally be 1.0. Antenna is non-adjustable as well. I've order a Laird BB4505CNS to try out. I really like the low profile of the Ghost and it's fine on trails where everyone is close, but I want to reach out to repeaters that may be miles away. Pulled antenna and power thru the Gladiators drivers side firewall plug (not available on manual shift models). For microphone mount I used Areyourshop 75WXST CB Radio Mic Mount Holder Passenger Grab Bar found on Amazon.

I'll get some pics up shortly.

Attachments

Last edited:

jfuzz

Rank I

Contributor III

Denver, CO, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Hill
Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS: WRJF928
Very few of us actually use Midland Radios for GMRS. As you pointed out there are a lot of other radios that are better, have more features, and much cheaper.

Going solo however GMRS is the worst radio service to have. Yes giving a radio to family members for hikes and spotting is great, but can be achieved with cheap FRS radios. However in the event you need to get a hold of someone, chances are you’re not going to reach them. Especially in Colorado.
Thanks for your comments Mike. I've also come to that conclusion this week and realizing I really do need an actual emergency comm device of some sort or ham possibly. We are 2WD but get into to some off track places sometimes. I would say that rarely do we go all day without seeing others though, but I do like to be prepared. Butt for camp purposes I think I'm liking the GMRS over FRS for the slightly extended range. We sometimes split up for hiking and can have 2 miles between us in the hills.

Again thanks and I really appreciate your contributions here.

Last edited:

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Thanks for your comments Mike. I've also come to that conclusion this week and realizing I really do need an actual emergency comm device of some sort or ham possibly. We are 2WD but get into to some off track places sometimes. I would say that rarely do we go all day without seeing others though, but I do like to be prepared. Butt for camp purposes I think I'm liking the GMRS over FRS for the slightly extended range. We sometimes split up for hiking and can have 2 miles between us in the hills.

Again thanks and I really appreciate your contributions here.
You realize that GMRS HT (Hand Transceivers) are limited to 2 watts output, which is the same as FRS? So there isn’t any extended range to GMRS over FRS in your application. Also by FCC regulations a GMRS HT CAN NOT have a removable antennas or a way to change frequencies from the front panel (locking via software makes it able to be used on frequencies outside of the FRS/GMRS band and is illegal)

from the FCC: FR47 Part 95 (FRS/GMRS) section E

(a) Each GMRS transmitter (a transmitter that operates or is intended to operate in the GMRS) must be certified in accordance with this subpart and part 2 of this chapter.
(b) A grant of equipment certification for the GMRS will not be issued for any GMRS transmitter type that fails to comply with the applicable rules in this subpart.
(c) No GMRS transmitter will be certified for use in the GMRS if it is equipped with a frequency capability not listed in § 95.1763, unless such transmitter is also certified for use in another radio service for which the frequency is authorized and for which certification is also required. No GMRS transmitter will be certified for use in the GMRS if it is equipped with the capabilities to operate in services that do not require equipment certification, such as the Amateur Radio Service. All frequency determining circuitry (including crystals) and programming controls in each GMRS transmitter must be internal to the transmitter and must not be accessible from the exterior of the transmitter operating panel or from the exterior of the transmitter enclosure.
(d) Effective December 27, 2017, the Commission will no longer issue a grant of equipment authorization for hand-held portable unit transmitter types under both this subpart (GMRS) and subpart B of this part (FRS).
(e) Effective December 27, 2017, the Commission will no longer issue a grant of equipment authorization under this subpart (GMRS) for hand-held portable units if such units meet the requirements to be certified under subpart B of this part (FRS).

So… with all of these use restrictions, I don’t see the point in getting a GMRS HT. I see the 25 or 50 watt mobile, but not for talking to peoples outside of a convoy.

Just an FYI, last summer I did a range test from mountain peak to mountain peak (5 miles as the crow flies) with two FRS Cobra HTs and two 2meter HTs (set on 0.50 watts) and was able to communicate just fine… when I hiked back down to the valley below the other station I was becoming broken even when I turned my 2m to the full 8 watts, but I could hear the other station just fine. Once I threw on the 1/4 wave antenna onto my 2m HT I could both hear and be heard… my point here is that it’s not all about wattage… a big part of it is the antenna. And since a GMRS HT antenna has to be fixed, it’s no better than a decent FRS HT.

Reactions: jfuzz and Ubiety

Old Tanker

Rank V
Launch Member

Steward I

Norfolk, VA, USA
First Name
Keith
Last Name
Reimer
Member #

Service Branch
USMC
You realize that GMRS HT (Hand Transceivers) are limited to 2 watts output, which is the same as FRS? So there isn’t any extended range to GMRS over FRS in your application. Also by FCC regulations a GMRS HT CAN NOT have a removable antennas or a way to change frequencies from the front panel (locking via software makes it able to be used on frequencies outside of the FRS/GMRS band and is illegal)
I have had good results with my Wouxun KG-905G handheld. It transmits on the GMRS high powered channels at 5 watts, FRS at 0.5 watts, with a removable antenna so I can use the stubby inside a vehicle or a 15 inch antenna for outdoors use. No complaints. Certainly adequate for a small group on a trail ride.

We also use a vehicle-mounted Wouxun KG-1000G 50 watt radio with the Midland ghost antenna. I may swap out the antenna for a 6db - my concern is the flatter radiation pattern of the 6db results in longer range when level, but less effectiveness when the vehicle is on an incline.

Reactions: jfuzz

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
Rubber duck antennas on HTs are far inferior to a decent externally mounted antenna that has a clear view around your vehicle (mounted high enough to avoid being blocked by the vehicle). There are many good external antennas with different radiation patterns available. I highly recommend the Comet CA-2X4SR broadband antenna with optional CA-SPR spring kit.

Z Adventures

Rank VI
Investor

Pathfinder III

Georgia, United States
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Zeilenga
Member #

GMRS wattage by channel

Channels 1-7 FRS: 2W GMRS: 5W
Channels 8-14 FRS: 0.5W GMRS: 0.5W
Channels 15-22 FRS: 2W GMRS: 50W

Starting in 2017 the FCC set new wattage limits on FRS and GMRS handheld radios. FRS is 2W and GMRS is 5W.
Handheld GMRS radios have a 5W limit.

NO License needed with FRS radio.

Prerunner1982

Launch Member

Member III

Navina, Oklahoma
First Name
Jon
Last Name
B
Member #

. Also by FCC regulations a GMRS HT CAN NOT have a removable antennas
Other than in part 95.1787 which is specific to GMRS radios capable of digital data, where is the non-removable antenna requirement noted?

OTH Overland

Local Expert Washington, USA
Investor

Trail Blazer III

Camano Island, WA, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Ballard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N7XQP
Service Branch
Fire/EMS/SAR
I have a Wouxun (pronounced Ocean) KG-1000G mounted on a Quadratec quick disconnect universal cb radio mount and a Midland Ghost antenna mounted on a cowl bolt using Rugged Ridge MT-ANT-JEEP-DS. Not real happy with the SWR reading on the Ghost antenna though. It's 2.23 and should ideally be 1.0. Antenna is non-adjustable as well. I've order a Laird BB4505CNS to try out. I really like the low profile of the Ghost and it's fine on trails where everyone is close, but I want to reach out to repeaters that may be miles away. Pulled antenna and power thru the Gladiators drivers side firewall plug (not available on manual shift models). For microphone mount I used Areyourshop 75WXST CB Radio Mic Mount Holder Passenger Grab Bar found on Amazon.

I'll get some pics up shortly.
Ran out of good antenna locations on the JKU so ended up with a cowl mount from Rugged Radio, and went thru three different antennas before finding one that had acceptable SWR in that location, the one that came in the box with the midland (Yes I am one of the few that uses Midland aparently..lol) was about useless as was the ghost style. I ended up with a Lard BB4502NS, about 7 or 8" long and managed to get 1.2 SWR, very well build strudy antenna. Have its taller cousin on the WJ and that one is under 1.1, but in the middle of a flat metal roof rather than up against a window frame.

Reactions: Ubiety