Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
I started with GMRS cause it was the easiest to obtain from a product (local Best Buy) and license prospective (online and pay, no test). The benefit for me is that I could use my one license for my immediate family for emergencies. Secondary is to use on the trail in case anyone forgot theirs. I have GMRS mobile and handhelds. Good for spotting and caravanning.

I got the Ham license for interest and of course to expand my comms should I really go out again and want to extend my reach (being off-grid, tracking other members using APRS, leveraging repeaters, etc.).

Off question, but do you guys (and gals) leave your comms equipment in your rigs all the time? Since mine are installed on my dash and eye level, I disconnect and remove mine when not in use. But for emergencies, I'd really like to leave in the rig so I don't have to tinker around with hooking up while trying to bug out. I know it only takes a few minutes if any to hookup, just wondering what everyone else does.

Dualsportrider

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

DFW
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Rizzo
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
NA
my FJ is not a daily driver and stays in the garage but I pull my ICOM 5100 out because I use it in the house and in my Tundra. When I had a CB and GMRS radio installed I just left them in all the time.

Reactions: RoarinRow

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
my FJ is not a daily driver and stays in the garage but I pull my ICOM 5100 out because I use it in the house and in my Tundra. When I had a CB and GMRS radio installed I just left them in all the time.
Thanks, makes sense. My rig is outdoors 24/7. Now I remember why I pull mine out.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
I started with GMRS cause it was the easiest to obtain from a product (local Best Buy) and license prospective (online and pay, no test). The benefit for me is that I could use my one license for my immediate family for emergencies. Secondary is to use on the trail in case anyone forgot theirs. I have GMRS mobile and handhelds. Good for spotting and caravanning.

I got the Ham license for interest and of course to expand my comms should I really go out again and want to extend my reach (being off-grid, tracking other members using APRS, leveraging repeaters, etc.).

Off question, but do you guys (and gals) leave your comms equipment in your rigs all the time? Since mine are installed on my dash and eye level, I disconnect and remove mine when not in use. But for emergencies, I'd really like to leave in the rig so I don't have to tinker around with hooking up while trying to bug out. I know it only takes a few minutes if any to hookup, just wondering what everyone else does.
I have mine in the rig at all times, I just pull the head unit and lock it in the glove box.

Reactions: RoarinRow

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
I have mine in the rig at all times, I just pull the head unit and lock it in the glove box.
I almost forgot how small some of these GMRS units are.
Those GMRS units are a lot smaller than the radios pictured... the Kenwood is a 110 watt Comercial Radio, the radio in the back is an Icom IC-7100 100w all band UHF/VHF HF rig... both have remote faces.

The Yasue FT-400XDR is 1/4 the size of the Icom... and the Yasue FT-300 is almost as small as a Midland 125 mobile GMRS radio.