Enthusiast III

Hueytown, AL, USA
First Name
Jonny
Last Name
Cochrane
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5DGM
Thanks for the clarification, And I agree, that because this stuff is almost completely self regulated, if you stay within the designated power outputs for a given frequency and are respectful, no one will take issue with you. Like I said earlier, start our cheap, decide what your needs actually are, and drop more money later (unless money is absolutely no problem; more power to ya). I honestly think the worst thing that happens is that you end up with both classes of licenses for $100 and not use one of them. You can recoup money from a gently used radio by selling it. Heck, sell it on this forum. I'm sure someone will want it.

Downs

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hunt County Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
I got my HAM tech license first then later got my GMRS license. Around here I use the GMRS a lot more often. The local GMRS repeater is far more active than any of the 5 or so HAM repeaters we have. We've been pushing more for the local Jeep Club to adopt GMRS/FRS as kind of the official club radio spectrum. In six months of pushing for people to get into HAM I had ZERO interest. Not a single person showed interest. I've had much better luck with GMRS because if we get people who have zero interest in getting a license at all they can still communicate with the group using FRS radios.

Reactions: Graeman

bamakojon

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Hueytown, AL, USA
First Name
Jonny
Last Name
Cochrane
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5DGM
I really wish that a HAM license would allow you to operate on FRS and GMRS as well. Just as long as you adhere to the wattage requirements for those frequencies and such. Even if you had to go past technician to General or extra or something. Does the FCC have a suggestions box??

TerryD

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
I really wish that a HAM license would allow you to operate on FRS and GMRS as well. Just as long as you adhere to the wattage requirements for those frequencies and such. Even if you had to go past technician to General or extra or something. Does the FCC have a suggestions box??
They are different services with different core purposes. They are separate because some people don't want to take a test or understand the technical differences in equipment.

Some folks just want simple "turn on a radio and talk" and that's kinda where GMRS/FRS falls. Similar to cell phone frequencies. You just pay for that "license" (you're paying the license fees for your carrier) monthly instead of every 10 years.

Downs

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hunt County Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
There's more to it than wattage and many HAM radios can't match up to those other requirements. Bandwidth settings come to mind. I'm sure technically they can but the software to run them doesn't allow the correct bandwidth settings. Many older commercial radios do .

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Not the FCC per say, but the ARRL does, and they lobby for changes to the FCC regulations.

Reactions: Downs

SJJEEPER

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

San Jose, CA, USA
First Name
Ben
Last Name
Elliott
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6VCR
I've had my HAM license for about 2 years or so and haven't really been able to use it mainly because I have a mac and can't program with CHIRP on my laptop. I also only have a Baofeng UV 5R so range is a little limited. I have been wanting to get a mobile unit and should have one by the end of the year in my truck. If anyone is near Flagstaff AZ or can reach me through repeaters I'd love to get some actual air time and have a chat. The most I have done was listen in on a NET back in the bay area before I moved out here for school. I do run CB as well because my friends are all in our younger 20's and some of them think getting a license is boring and would rather have the ease of CB communications on the trail.

Prerunner1982

Local Expert, Oklahoma USA
Launch Member

Member III

Navina, Oklahoma
First Name
Jon
Last Name
B
Member #

When is the Jeep jamboree going to move from cb isawsominthing in this year info it might happen?
Effective 2021.

Reactions: Graeman and Downs

Blackey

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Alamogordo NM
First Name
Michael
Last Name
White
I checked the website within 24hours before posting and it still show cb without mentioning the others where did you find that.

NorCalRam

Rank VI

Influencer I

Los Angeles, California, United States
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Barlage
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6MEU
Service Branch
Army
I've had my HAM license for about 2 years or so and haven't really been able to use it mainly because I have a mac and can't program with CHIRP on my laptop. I also only have a Baofeng UV 5R so range is a little limited. I have been wanting to get a mobile unit and should have one by the end of the year in my truck. If anyone is near Flagstaff AZ or can reach me through repeaters I'd love to get some actual air time and have a chat. The most I have done was listen in on a NET back in the bay area before I moved out here for school. I do run CB as well because my friends are all in our younger 20's and some of them think getting a license is boring and would rather have the ease of CB communications on the trail.

I was able to program my baofeng no issues it’s my Mac. Had to give CHIRP permissions but it works fine

Downs

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hunt County Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
I checked the website within 24hours before posting and it still show cb without mentioning the others where did you find that.
It's literally the link he provided in his post. That link takes you to an article on the Jeep Jamboree website and in the title in large, bold, letters it says "
CB TO BE REPLACED BY FRS/GMRS TWO-WAY RADIOS IN 2021"

• Haha

Prerunner1982

Local Expert, Oklahoma USA
Launch Member

Member III

Navina, Oklahoma
First Name
Jon
Last Name
B
Member #

I googled "Jeep Jamboree GMRS" because I had seen info before I knew it was out there.
But it is also an article in the middle of their website, no posted date so I don't know how long it's been up.
1605190184878.png

It is also in their FAQ section.
1605190332726.png

Dualsportrider

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

DFW
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Rizzo
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
NA
HAM everyone has to have a license, GMRS you can just use FRS if someone doesn't have their GMRS license. HAM you can also talk on FRS and GMRS but not legally with a HAM radio, but most people don't care.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
HAM everyone has to have a license, GMRS you can just use FRS if someone doesn't have their GMRS license. HAM you can also talk on FRS and GMRS but not legally with a HAM radio, but most people don't care.
You still need the GMRS license and need to stay off the FRS frequencies with a mobile radio, because mobile radios usually put out way to many watts even in low power. Now I say most Mobile radios... the Icom IC-7100 for example can push out 1 watt of power on the 70cm band. But that is 2 times the legal limit of some of the FRS channels. And yes there are people out there with nothing better to do than look for violations.

Dualsportrider

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

DFW
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Rizzo
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
NA
My midland wouldn't let me do higher power on FRS. it forced you to use low power, I'm not sure it was 0.5 Watt. Max was 15 watts. I got the Icom 5100 with MARS mod so I can transmit on MURS and FRS/GMRS for emergencies. I still carry a GMRS handheld with me too. And a CB that's not even hooked up anymore. I pulled the firestick off the back of my FJ and put an NMO mount there so I can put my Ham dual band antenna which I verified has a good SWR on my GRMS radio too.

Blackey

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Alamogordo NM
First Name
Michael
Last Name
White
My fault didnt pay attention to the the footer I was goi off the trail infoiircwas the doc it might have been the faqs. Thanks for the heads up. I’ll either monitor on my baofeng radio or get a third radio setup for the rig I have cb planning on ham around the beginning Gothenburg year then before the Mesa jj get a grams setup. Where am I’m going to put all these radios and keep the Mike’s untangled? The cb is a cobra 75 wx st and mounted under the passenger seat, my next radio I want the same style mic controls in all my radioshope I can find and fit three such radios then I know if you mount antennas too close they interfere with each other. My radio ante is stock. My cb is a firestick spare tire mount. My ham was going to be a hood lip mount on the drivers side where to put the games front bumper to the right o h winch steel bumper?

Last edited:

Downs

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hunt County Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
My midland wouldn't let me do higher power on FRS. it forced you to use low power, I'm not sure it was 0.5 Watt. Max was 15 watts. I got the Icom 5100 with MARS mod so I can transmit on MURS and FRS/GMRS for emergencies. I still carry a GMRS handheld with me too. And a CB that's not even hooked up anymore. I pulled the firestick off the back of my FJ and put an NMO mount there so I can put my Ham dual band antenna which I verified has a good SWR on my GRMS radio too.
I use this CB antenna when I decide to run a CB. NMO base so I can use my secondary antenna mount to run it.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
My fault didnt pay attention to the the footer I was goi off the trail infoiircwas the doc it might have been the faqs. Thanks for the heads up. I’ll either monitor on my baofeng radio or get a third radio setup for the rig I have cb planning on ham around the beginning Gothenburg year then before the Mesa jj get a grams setup. Where am I’m going to put all these radios and keep the Mike’s untangled? The cb is a cobra 75 wx st and mounted under the passenger seat, my next radio I want the same style mic controls in all my radioshope I can find and fit three such radios then I know if you mount antennas too close they interfere with each other. My radio ante is stock. My cb is a firestick spare tire mount. My ham was going to be a hood lip mount on the drivers side where to put the games front bumper to the right o h winch steel bumper?
image.jpg
These are two full sized radios fit into a 18” dry box with enough room for a power supply and antenna tuner... my cobra 29ltd will fit on top of the power supply when I finish my project here in another couple of hours.

Reactions: RoarinRow