Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

Sorry if this is posted elsewhere. Did a search and didnt see it.

At Overland Expo Mountain West, seems GMC revealed what seems like one-upmanship to Chevy Colorado ZR2 - the GMC Canyon AT4 OverlandX.

Has anyone there seen this yet? Seems like a lot of stuff on it that a lot of folks here have on their trucks already, or wish they had. Or built themselves.

Steel cap with RTT, a swing-out rear spare tire mount, armor, rock sliders, front and rear selectable lockers, Multimatic shocks, lift, gorgeous leather interior, 33's. It's like they heard GMC fans saying they wanted a ZR2 version, and did them more than they asked for.

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

I could do without the branch wires, I'd probably change the mud tires to KO2's or something, and lose the deuchebag snorkel, but then again, getting out of a hurricane prone region during tough times, the snorkel could come in handy.

Reactions: KD7WCD

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

It's only a concept but I am far more excited over the prospect of something like this coming to market than I am with, say, the new Grand Wagoneer as it exists.

Reactions: KD7WCD

diabetiktaco

Local Expert New Jersey, USA
Launch Member

Explorer I

Marlboro Township, NJ, USA
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Beauchea
Member #

I could do without the branch wires, I'd probably change the mud tires to KO2's or something, and lose the deuchebag snorkel, but then again, getting out of a hurricane prone region during tough times, the snorkel could come in handy.
How does a snorkel go from being a douche item to handy in the same sentence?

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

How does a snorkel go from being a douche item to handy in the same sentence?
Ha ha. As I drive through greater Boston and see some Land Cruisers or dolled up trucks running around, those scoop snorkels are known as deuchebag unless and until it is known that they are out there traversing deep water or sandy plains on a regular basis. Not fair, I know, but around here, one is far less likely to "need" something like that, except during hurricanes and super high tides, when traversing water across the coastline roadways.

The number of built out jeeps that arrive at a shop, and I ask "where do you wheel that thing" and the answer is "I dont. It's all for looks" is disheartening. Hey, it's a free country. And as has been said, the number of cars with track- ready camber, recovery, roll cages and stuff, that never see the track. Its thier prerogative, but is a bit silly

Reactions: MazeVX

DRAX

Rank V

Advocate I

Monticello, IL
First Name
Hogan
Last Name
Whittall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W9DRX
As a Canyon owner myself and being on some popular forums for this platform, I've often thought about swapping in ZR2 axles and suspension. It's just stupid expensive. If a long bed wasn't on my must-have list it would've been hard to say no to going with a ZR2 at the time considering it was basically the same price as my truck, but the 5.2' bed was just too small for me. Sure, there's the ECLB trucks but I also need the crew cab for people.

That Canyon is pretty awesome and looks way better than the ZR2, but I'm biased. :D I can't really justify spending the money to do more suspension/drivetrain mods to my truck anyway as it goes everywhere we want and the G80 rear locker hasn't let me down.

I do hope GMC does at least make the truck portion of that prototype, though.

KD7WCD

Rank VI
Founder 500
Investor

Influencer I

Tempe, AZ, USA
First Name
Jayson
Last Name
Adamsen
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD7WCD
Are they already making the AT4? I thought I saw that badge on a GMC truck this morning on I-10 in Phoenix and was going to look it up.

D

Deleted member 14476

Are they already making the AT4? I thought I saw that badge on a GMC truck this morning on I-10 in Phoenix and was going to look it up.
They do, this is just going to be an additional version for the Canyon. Think of it as the ZR2 Bison equivalent.

DRAX

Rank V

Advocate I

Monticello, IL
First Name
Hogan
Last Name
Whittall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W9DRX
The main thing to remember with the AT4 is that it's basically all bolt-on differences; 1" leveling lift, tire/wheel package, skid plates, rocker protection. You don't get any anything different in the drivetrain, still the same open front diff and G80 rear locker available on the other Canyon trims. Nothing wrong with that, but you could add the same bolt-ons to a lower trim and be out less money if you don't want the other fluff that comes with the AT4. Maybe they'll make the prototype as the AT4X with the ZR2 axles and suspension.

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

The main thing to remember with the AT4 is that it's basically all bolt-on differences; 1" leveling lift, tire/wheel package, skid plates, rocker protection. You don't get any anything different in the drivetrain, still the same open front diff and G80 rear locker available on the other Canyon trims. Nothing wrong with that, but you could add the same bolt-ons to a lower trim and be out less money if you don't want the other fluff that comes with the AT4. Maybe they'll make the prototype as the AT4X with the ZR2 axles and suspension.

Yes however one additional difference is warranty. You wont get any guff, right or wrong, from the dealer on the GM parts that you might get installing other after market. Not a big deal if its paid off. Could be a pain in the arse if it isnt.

AT4 is basically a z71 setup, but recently GMC wanted to differentiate thier z71 from the chevy z71. So now they have AT4 (previously the All Terrain package) and even the newer x31 on full size trucks.

This mock up has the wider axles and multimatic shocks so it's pretty exciting to me. Over the last few years I switched from Chevy to GMC

DRAX

Rank V

Advocate I

Monticello, IL
First Name
Hogan
Last Name
Whittall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W9DRX
Yes however one additional difference is warranty. You wont get any guff, right or wrong, from the dealer on the GM parts that you might get installing other after market. Not a big deal if its paid off. Could be a pain in the arse if it isnt.
All of the AT4 bolt-ons are available in the Chevy/GMC catalogs so you can install them without impact to the warranty. That's the big thing with factory bolt-ons vs aftermarket if you care about your warranty.

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

All of the AT4 bolt-ons are available in the Chevy/GMC catalogs so you can install them without impact to the warranty. That's the big thing with factory bolt-ons vs aftermarket if you care about your warranty.
What do they do to give the ZR2 a wider track? Is that just a wider wheel and tire, spacers (y-yikes), or an actual wider axle?

Do the Multimatic shocks have different mounting locations?

DRAX

Rank V

Advocate I

Monticello, IL
First Name
Hogan
Last Name
Whittall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W9DRX
What do they do to give the ZR2 a wider track? Is that just a wider wheel and tire, spacers (y-yikes), or an actual wider axle?

The ZR2 has different axles and some other slight suspension/chassis differences that make it not quite a bolt on upgrade to put ZR2 suspension on non-ZR2 trucks. Just to be clear, though, the AT4 trim has none of the ZR2 mechanicals. The AT4 OverlandX prototype is effectively a ZR2 in GMC clothing but the current production AT4 you can buy is all just bolt-on stuff from the accessory catalog and an AT4-specific air dam for more clearance.

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

Just checked the Build website for the Sierra 1500 AT4X. They offer it in a new color - desert sand -and cant beleive that they dont offer a paint or graphics option as the old Desert Fox from the 70's and that concept from a few years ago. Odd choice not to offer that.

Sierra-1500-Desert-Fox-1-768x376.png

Reactions: KD7WCD and 9Mike2

Pathfinder I

Pacific Northwest
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Claggett
Service Branch
U. S. Army

The ZR2 has a wider rear axle, longer upper and lower (heavy cast iron by DSSV) control arms, longer front axles. The frame has extra support members, shocks are same location but with a different mounting system (bolts&nuts).

Reactions: ThundahBeagle

DRAX

Rank V

Advocate I

Monticello, IL
First Name
Hogan
Last Name
Whittall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W9DRX
...oddly, while I was able to build a Sierra AT4X on the website, I could not find an AT4X for the Canyon...
Should be a 2023 model which they haven't fully revealed or launched yet. Probably sometime this summer or closer to fall.

EDIT: Yup, on GMC's site for the Canyon AT4X it says "GMC will reveal the Canyon AT4X in the Summer of 2022."

Last edited: