Launch Member

Advocate III

Vacaville, CA, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Mulrooney
Member #

Finally got a chance to make it out to usal beach. After doing some research online and finding a California offroad book at the local library. This trail was a really simple trail would probably consider it a 2 outta 10 just because some steep parts other than that it was an amazing trail. Didn't drive on the beach just because i read it was illegal and the spot where it looked like trucks were crossing was filled with water (high tide). I would suggest if someday your in that direction check it out. On a side note the wife has been begging me to take her out to glass beach (a dump site from back in the 1920s). That was a really cool site to see. Glass filled the beach instead of sand and rocks. If you ever decide to check this place out make sure that you take the "difficult" trail because the easy trail barely has any glass left to see because of many people taking it. (Difficult trail is considered difficult just because a flight of stairs you have use to get down to the beach)

Sent from my iPhone using Overland Bound Talk

Crispy

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Redmond, OR, USA
First Name
Nick
Last Name
Crisp
Member #

Nice pictures and Tundra! This one is on my list for this year. I'm hoping to turn it into a two or three day camping and hiking trip.

Reactions: Justin_0237

stoney126

Rank VI
Founder 500
Launch Member

Influencer II

Napa Ca
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Stoner
Member #

I've been wanting to camp there. We'll more dispersed camping. We stayed at one of the camp sites there and we were stacked on rope of each other, fortunately we got along with the neighbors.
I was thinking of getting a OB group for later on in summer when a nice costal camp spot would be nice break fromantic the heat.

Crispy

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Redmond, OR, USA
First Name
Nick
Last Name
Crisp
Member #

I've been wanting to camp there. We'll more dispersed camping. We stayed at one of the camp sites there and we were stacked on rope of each other, fortunately we got along with the neighbors.
I was thinking of getting a OB group for later on in summer when a nice costal camp spot would be nice break fromantic the heat.
Let's do it.

Reactions: stoney126

NoOneBetter

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

San Jose, CA
Member #

thanks for sharing the photos and providing a trail update. I've had Usal beach on my goto list for a while now and haven't had a chance to check it out yet.

Reactions: Justin_0237

Saints&Sailors

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

We tried running this trail last weekend (#94 in the Wells book) and the trail was closed right after Usal Beach so we couldn't even finish the last two thirds of the trail. Usal Beach was kind of cool to walk around but the other people ruined it for us. It's a shame, we were really looking forward to camping on the beach. Unfortunately, contrary to the "Lost Coast" name, there is nothing remote or secluded about this place anymore - too many of people, loud music, locals shooting off fireworks, etc. As you can imagine, we decided to backtrack and head elsewhere for the night.

Perhaps if a group is going up we could be convinced to give it another shot though!

Crispy

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Redmond, OR, USA
First Name
Nick
Last Name
Crisp
Member #

Hopefully it's quiet when I go there next week. I'm camping there on a weekday. Not sure if that will make a difference. Were you there on a weekend @Saints&Sailors ?

We tried running this trail last weekend (#94 in the Wells book) and the trail was closed right after Usal Beach so we couldn't even finish the last two thirds of the trail. Usal Beach was kind of cool to walk around but the other people ruined it for us. It's a shame, we were really looking forward to camping on the beach. Unfortunately, contrary to the "Lost Coast" name, there is nothing remote or secluded about this place anymore - too many of people, loud music, locals shooting off fireworks, etc. As you can imagine, we decided to backtrack and head elsewhere for the night.

Perhaps if a group is going up we could be convinced to give it another shot though!

Saints&Sailors

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

Hopefully it's quiet when I go there next week. I'm camping there on a weekday. Not sure if that will make a difference. Were you there on a weekend @Saints&Sailors ?
Yeah, we were. We swung through on Friday, 5.13.16. Weekdays are probably a lot better. Let me know if they ended up reopening the trail just past Usal Beach. We tried to go up there where it starts to climb back up out of the campground/beach area and there was a large yellow gate that was closed/locked with a sign that said "Road Closed". Perhaps the "farmers" up there closed it to prevent people driving through? I can't imagine that the road would've been closed due to snow/rain this late in the year. We also tried to find another road around the closed gate but didn't have any luck. :frowning:

Crispy

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Redmond, OR, USA
First Name
Nick
Last Name
Crisp
Member #

Yeah, we were. We swung through on Friday, 5.13.16. Weekdays are probably a lot better. Let me know if they ended up reopening the trail just past Usal Beach. We tried to go up there where it starts to climb back up out of the campground/beach area and there was a large yellow gate that was closed/locked with a sign that said "Road Closed". Perhaps the "farmers" up there closed it to prevent people driving through? I can't imagine that the road would've been closed due to snow/rain this late in the year. We also tried to find another road around the closed gate but didn't have any luck. :frowning:
I'll check it out. I was hoping it would be open since we are travelling north to Oregon after Usal Beach.

onedaatmc

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Colfax, California
Member #

I was up there in early April , the gate was closed do to rd being washed out from the rains, and several trees blocking the road several places , based on a ranger' s say ...After seeing the gate closed and talking to the ranger , I just hung out at the beach for the day. Was there on a tuesday ! Only one there !

onedaatmc

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Colfax, California
Member #

Looks like this is best to visit during a week day lol

Sent from my iPhone using Overland Bound Talk
Yes absolutely ! I read online where there are a bunch of drunken idiots up racing around the camp sites, cranking tunes and shooting guns all hours of the night... so when I went on a tuedays ... its was totally Zen Peace quiet ... only one there ...well except for 3 geese ...