Contributor II

North Portland, Portland, OR, USA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Barrett
Member #

Hey all!

So, my girl has finally decided to get into the camping life with me, but there is one initial condition which she has laid out that is making it difficult for me to find options that will make us both content (for how simple of a request it is)...

We're using an ARB awning tent off of our 3rd gen 4Runner for shelter, which doesn't make it an RV but also prevents it from getting into most tent sites (I keep seeing them listed as "walk-in"), which I find more ideal for this kind of setup. Before she goes all-in with me at dispersed and more remote areas, she wants a bathroom available for the first few trips. Are we stuck at paved sites or is there somewhere else I should be looking online that will give us the best of both worlds? I use Gaia to map out my solo stuff, but I'm having a helluva time trying to find another place that doesn't just force my hand into an RV-style spot. Any guidance would be appreciated!

Flipper

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Florida
First Name
John
Last Name
F
Member #

Porta Pottie........ saved many relationships. You do the maintenance, I call it the “Pottie Patrol”. They even have small tents for PP if she needs more privacy.

Reactions: Fiffa and EXPO_D1

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
I was nervous to bring up the idea of our own crapper, but it's worth a shot! Thanks!
They also make “pop up” crapper tents.
WolfWise Pop Up Privacy Shower Tent Portable Outdoor Sun Shelter Camp Toilet Changing Dressing Room

old_man

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Loveland, Colorado
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Houston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WØNUT Extra
I got tired of the portapotty and went with the 5 gallon bucket with the toilet seat top you can buy. I carry the disposable bags with the gel. It is smaller, cheaper, easier to pack and works very well. Easy to clean...tie up the bag, and it doesn't ever leak. I pack the TP and bags inside, along with some spray sanitizer and air freshner. For the wife of 45 years (a city girl) I bought one of those cheap outhouse tents. I recommend a slightly better tent with the two sections for the women. Make sure it has a good zipper and a way to tie it down in a big wind.

You are going to laugh, but I have a forced air diesel furnace in the teardrop. I am plumbing a hose out to the tent so I can flip the lever and pump warm air into it, since we do a lot of high altitude camping in temps below zero. The wife said she was tired of scraping off the ice before going to the bathroom.

Last edited:

MrWilsonWJ

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Kennewick, WA
First Name
Dustin
Last Name
Wilson
Member #

Is she requesting a full on bathroom with running water or will a vault toilet be good enough?

Also this year is a tough one due to covid, most private campgrounds are open so she would have a bathroom but probably not the kind of place you want to go. What I've found this summer is most of the remote campgrounds with vault toilets are open but the toilet is either locked or have a sign saying use at your own risk. There is a couple camp grounds in the Blues around Tollgate area that have open vault toilets that aren't too remote and have sites that you would easily be able to use your setup. Only thing with the Blue Mtns. is there is currently a fire over there, not sure what the containment is like right now so could be smokey. Also a lot of the remote stuff will start getting filled up soon with hunting season approaching.

Reactions: M Rose and Fiffa

Fiffa

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

First Name
Chris
Last Name
Barrett
Member #

Is she requesting a full on bathroom with running water or will a vault toilet be good enough?

Also this year is a tough one due to covid, most private campgrounds are open so she would have a bathroom but probably not the kind of place you want to go. What I've found this summer is most of the remote campgrounds with vault toilets are open but the toilet is either locked or have a sign saying use at your own risk. There is a couple camp grounds in the Blues around Tollgate area that have open vault toilets that aren't too remote and have sites that you would easily be able to use your setup. Only thing with the Blue Mtns. is there is currently a fire over there, not sure what the containment is like right now so could be smokey. Also a lot of the remote stuff will start getting filled up soon with hunting season approaching.
She's just looking for a toilet more than anything. I think if I present the option that old_man suggested the right way then we should be good with the places I normally go to. We have plenty of water storage for everything, so her biggest issue is privacy for the privy and one that doesn't require aiming over a hole she dug. lol

MMc

Rank V

Influencer II

San Dimas, Ca.
First Name
Mike
Last Name
McMullen
Member #

When I met my wife she had never camped. Within 3 years she was dry camping for weeks with me. Start with developed camp grounds and ease her into it. I started with shower and flush bathrooms. Then pit toilets, no shower for the weekend. No toilet and a “lady j”(woman’s pee funnel). Good food and wine, you do the work, I cook and clean also. After the first trip debrief on what she liked and didn’t like, address the bad for/ on the next trip. Sleeping comfort is big! Thremarest or like is a must. When we would do multi day we would get a hotel.Remember to eat at nice places on the road. You want her to have a great time, make sure she does! She is willing to try this stuff if she has a bad time when first starts going she will not be going much.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired

Fire is 80-90% contained (out side Elgin), smoke isn’t too bad today... yesterday was awful.

Reactions: Fiffa

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
Clean full bathroom and shower, or crystal clear ocean. Those are my rules.

So that means fullsize and camper for me. Or a State Park with nice wash houses. Or an ocean front campsite.

Any less than that requires a payoff that overlanding can't provide. Hiking the AT for example. I'm not interested in overlanding a jeep or motorcycle anymore. But I'll haul my bike and tent camp at a campground, with wash houses, that's next to motorcycle trails. Wayne National Forest for example.

Reactions: Fiffa and Billiebob

JimBill

Rank V
Investor

Advocate I

San Benito County, CA, USA
First Name
James
Last Name
Madison
Member #

Quick tip that might help make her experience better- pay some attention to what you eat during the trip.

Our second trip to Death Valley my lady thought it would be quick and easy to make egg salad sandwiches for lunch stops on the trail.
After day 3 of eating egg salad, I am so glad she had a sense of humor about things we could not control.
Although we have never had egg salad again while out on a trip.

I did purchase a luggable loo and privacy shelter after that. She just couldn't get herself to use my 20 year old bumper dumper. Go figure!
And if you can swing it, the double wide shelter is better for showering, LOO, and dressing duties.

And if all else fails, replace the girlfriend with a more compatible one.

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
The USFS Recreation Area map layer will show campgrounds. Most of those will have vault toilets. If you download Ultimate Camground App it also shows places with at least vault toilets. Otherwise she needs to "girl up" and get used using a bag toilet, dig a hole toilet, or one of the chemical toilets which I think are more trouble than they are worth.

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

When she says she wants a bathroom, are you sure she is only reffering to the toilet? Most women think a bathroom has a vanity and shower too.

But most campgrounds have pretty nice small campsites for small vehicles. I'd look at State and Federal Parks.

Fiffa

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

First Name
Chris
Last Name
Barrett
Member #

Alrighty, a privy tent and bush toilet are a go! She's not too girly, but she's a little timid/anxious about unknowns, which boondocking is one of them. Lolo has a nice tent with an included shower bag, so here's to putting this stuff to use soon! Thanks, again, everyone!

MMc

Rank V

Influencer II

San Dimas, Ca.
First Name
Mike
Last Name
McMullen
Member #

Get her a Lady J for those times you are driving and no bathroom is around. It will get her feet dry. This was a big deal for the wife.

Shokgoblr

Rank III
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

PA, USA
First Name
Shok
Last Name
Goblr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ihave1
I hope you get her into the woods pooping into a hole soon.
Good Luck.

Reactions: RJJK and Fiffa

DrewKD

Rank V

Influencer II

Pasadena CA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Dancel
Member #

If she's not into it then leave her ass at home. No sense on ruining both of your times. That said, if you really want her to go with you then you need to be prepared to do EVERYTHING yourself. That includes digging the hole for her. Make it as comfortable and painless as possible on her...at least in the beginning. Maybe try a cassette toilet. Never leave home without the wet wipes.

Pathfinder I

Pacific Northwest
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Claggett
Service Branch
U. S. Army
Most all bucket potties are 5 gal, but you can use a 7 gal and it's much closer to the height that we have at home, this may make points. 7 gal bucket, snap on seat/lid and biodegradable bags are very affordable, easy to use.