Loveland, Colorado
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Houston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WØNUT Extra
Haven't seen the 7 gallon buckets, where do you snag one? Do they have the same size lid?

Oregon_trail

Rank II

Traveler I

Medford Oregon
First Name
Micah
Last Name
White
Member #

So there is a lot of out toilet sights. My first trip this summers we ended up crossing though a state part all on gravel or rutted our roads and stayed at a small forest service camp ground. There was no hookups and no one there but us but there was pit toilets. I would use Gaia to look around your areas and find actual campgrounds that are remote. Me and my wife enjoy remote camping but having a place with a toilet is nice sometimes and I’ve been very impressed with then and it doesn’t feel like a big park where people glamp

InsaneLuck

Rank III

Enthusiast I

Sparks, NV, USA
First Name
Gene
Last Name
Vance
Member #

A 5 gallon bucket with some plastic liners and a comfy toilet seat is the way to go. He’ll buy some bio degradable bags and your set

Reactions: M Rose

genocache

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Boulder Creek, CA, USA
First Name
gene
Last Name
L
Member #

5 gallon bucket, plastic bags, kitty litter. An old time backpacker taught me, don't dig a cathole, flip over a rock, do your duty, then put the rock back, covering the tp and all.

4Wheelexplorer

Rank V
Launch Member

Navigator I

Pasco, WA, USA
First Name
Bret
Last Name
Overbaugh
Member #

Had the same issue. Got the wife a SereneLife port-a-pot and a Wolfwise pop-up tent.Quick and easy on the trail, even simpler at backcountry camp spots. Holds up to five gallons and can be easily dumped at outhouses, gas stations with RV dumps, and most places you would normally go. Minimizes trail stop time too. Much more stable than buckets.

Jaytperry89

Rank VII
Launch Member

Trail Blazer III

Idaho Falls, ID, USA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Perry
Member #

Service Branch
Army
This was also something that my wife and I compromised with. We started with a 5 gallon bucket, several bags filled with cat litter and diapers lol. Odd I know but it works pretty well. We also had a pop up privacy shelter, but it didn't last so we started using it in the Annex. We did however purchase a privacy shelter that allowed showering and using the bathroom too. The annex is really just when I wanna be lazy and not set up another tent. I like the tent tho, it has a shelf. Our shower is a water pump that hooks to a 5 gallon bucket, we heat the water in the coffee pot lol. Its nice to have a place to clean yourself up. I enjoyed reading through this post, the difference In set ups is great

Sandpoint Steve

US NorthWest Region Local Expert
Supporter

Pathfinder III

Sandpoint, Idaho
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Marchiando
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7POE
I use a luggable loo and the bio gel bags.
also
A zodi hot shower is always nice after a dusty day on the trail.