Green Country, OK
First Name
WareWolf
Last Name
MoonWall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Direct Message Me..
My wife ran across this link looking for ghost towns to visit. Possibly interesting?

Oregon Ghost town link

Are these fun to see? Or is it just a list of tourist traps?

-jim lee
I can't speak to ghost towns here in Oregon, but I can recommend visiting the Shanghai Tunnels in Portland.

Wonderful history to be learned, and they have a bit of Ghost talk to keep things interesting if you care to participate in that side of the conversation.

Jedi

Rank VI
Staff member
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Arlington, WA, USA
First Name
Brie
Last Name
McClory
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6JDI
Similar to the Shanghai Tunnels is the Pioneer Square Underground in Seattle.

As for checking out the ghost towns, I know my wife and I would be up for that!

Reactions: RainGoat

Luinil Explorations

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Wherever I am at the moment
First Name
Larrie is
Last Name
sharing our travels with the world.
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG7WDX
Halloween seems like a good day to be asking this questions. The term ghost town is a bit misleading. Many of them have one or more people living in them.

Of the six lists in the link above I have only been to Shaniko. It is an interesting place to walk around. We were there after a snow storm so it was cold, windy, and sunny. A good day for photographs. At that time there were about a dozen people living three.

You may want to stop by the Oregon Ghost Town website or Wikipedia for a list of Oregon ghost towns.

RainGoat

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Redmond, WA, USA
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Davis
Member #

I no longer remember where I grabbed that link from. I think it was just supposed to be Bordeaux but I agree, that looks like someone’s drive West of town.

Pathfinder I

Pacific Northwest
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Claggett
Service Branch
U. S. Army
The Orygun ghost town site sure missed it with the info on Zena. I went to Zena school and then Lincoln school in the 50's. Nothing of the old Zena was there, the Zena church was and still is active. The old Lincoln store burned down in the early 70's and was rebuilt, owned by Bill Byers. The old Zena school was sold in the early 60's and is a private home and the Lincoln school has been the local Grange Hall for years. The area was milk cows, sheep and fruit trees.

NWNavigator

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

End of the Oregon Trail
First Name
Joel
Last Name
La Follette
Member #

My wife ran across this link looking for ghost towns to visit. Possibly interesting?

Oregon Ghost town link

-jim lee
I've been poking around back roads in Oregon tracing family history. Central Oregon has a lot of abandoned homesteads and "towns" to explore. Shaniko is probably the easiest to get to and it tried to be a tourist town, but the guy that owns the hotel (wealthy newspaper guy that came in and wanted to run the whole thing) pulled the plug on the operation. The hotel sits empty and is slowly falling apart. I did a commercial shoot for a truck company with a "ghost cowboy" back in the day when the hotel was still open. It's pretty quiet there these days, although they have a few summer events and there are full-time residents. The post office is still open and the ice cream shop caters to tourists in the summer months. Shaniko has a lot of history as it was the railhead to get goods to market from the Madras, Prineville, and Bend area pre-1911ish. Still has the jail, hotel and lot of rusty stuff laying around. When the railroad was completed up the Deschutes River, Shaniko became a ghost town.

If you just picked a backroad in Central Oregon you would come across all sorts of cool historical buildings if you just followed your nose. When exploring in the summer months, just watch out for rattlesnakes. They love the shade in these old buildings. I do have some cool tracks I've recorded.

Ghost1.jpg Ghost2.jpg Ghost3.jpg

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter

Oregon Ghost town link

-jim lee
Thanks for the link! I have only been to one of them but next year we are planing on the east side of OR so this helps.

whiskey7backroads

Rank VI
Launch Member

Endurance II

Olympia Washington
First Name
Brent
Last Name
Conklin
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7BR
I have been to Sumpter and it's worth looking at and seeing. The surrounding area is also beautiful. Also cornicoupia by halfway Oregon has a lot of history