Rank V
Launch Member

Contributor II

First Name
Christopher
Last Name
Laboy
Member #

I started out with a Camry, and while I knew my limitations I enjoyed years of camping up in the mountains of Northern AZ to Idaho. I actually miss the old days of tossing the tent and camp chairs in the trunk and the cooler in the back seat. With the gas prices of today I was actually leaning towards picking up a hybrid AWD Camry or Avalon and scraping the plans to build an Overland X rig. So I guess I'm telling you to just go out there and have fun, take your time and see what best fits your needs.

Reactions: 12C20

zgfiredude

Rank VI

Steward I

Silt, CO, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Nichols
Member #

Service Branch
Firefighter
Soooo much more info needed from you to even attempt to answer that question!

1. Daily Driver or no?
2. Where do you live?
3. Only vehicle in the household?
4. Other needs....towing, hauling, passenger capacity?
5. Preferred fuel type...gas, diesel, electric, nuclear?
And on and on....

Babirdi

Rank II

Enthusiast II

Fridley, Minnesota, United States
First Name
Abdifatah
Last Name
Abdirahman
Soooo much more info needed from you to even attempt to answer that question!

1. Daily Driver or no?
2. Where do you live?
3. Only vehicle in the household?
4. Other needs....towing, hauling, passenger capacity?
5. Preferred fuel type...gas, diesel, electric, nuclear?
And on and on....
I want it to be my daily driver also.
I live in Minnesota, so not many terrain i can think of.
It won't be the only vehicle in the household.
Not sure if I will tow anything at the moment.
And I think I would prefer gas not sure about diesel.

Hopefully that helps narrowing it down.

Thank you.

Babirdi

Rank II

Enthusiast II

First Name
Abdifatah
Last Name
Abdirahman
I started out with a Camry, and while I knew my limitations I enjoyed years of camping up in the mountains of Northern AZ to Idaho. I actually miss the old days of tossing the tent and camp chairs in the trunk and the cooler in the back seat. With the gas prices of today I was actually leaning towards picking up a hybrid AWD Camry or Avalon and scraping the plans to build an Overland X rig. So I guess I'm telling you to just go out there and have fun, take your time and see what best fits your needs.
Thank you, but if I may ask, were you ever hesitant about just going out there and doing it?

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

The one you already own is a great place to start.

Buy a tent, sleeping bags, cooler and go.
Time will tell you if you need bigger smaller more fuel efficient or capable of carrying more stuff.

Your question is way to open to expect relevant advice.
Where, when, with whom are you travelling/overlanding.

PS, just buy a Wrangler and be done.

Babirdi

Rank II

Enthusiast II

First Name
Abdifatah
Last Name
Abdirahman
The one you already own is a great place to start.

Buy a tent, sleeping bags, cooler and go.
Time will tell you if you need bigger smaller more fuel efficient or capable of carrying more stuff.

Your question is way to open to expect relevant advice.
Where, when, with whom are you travelling/overlanding.

PS, just buy a Wrangler and be done.
I've always wanted to travel across country and be prepared for anything I come across. Who knows maybe ship the car overseas and overland there for couple of months.

MarioT'sCJResto

Rank V
Launch Member

Contributor II

First Name
Christopher
Last Name
Laboy
Member #

Thank you, but if I may ask, were you ever hesitant about just going out there and doing it?
Not at all, I remember going to Walmart, picking up my camping gear and heading north to Flagstaff. I had it all; a Colman Tent, Bag of Kingsford Charcoal for the fire, one of those Styrofoam Coolers, a camp light, flashlight, and a camp chair. Now a few years later I would end up adopting my first pup, which then became 3 pups and there was no looking back.

This pic is from 07 with my pups on a weekend getaway just outside of Mesa AZ

10398824_12854782451_1315_n.jpg

Babirdi

Rank II

Enthusiast II

First Name
Abdifatah
Last Name
Abdirahman
Not at all, I remember going to Walmart, picking up my camping gear and heading north to Flagstaff. I had it all; a Colman Tent, Bag of Kingsford Charcoal for the fire, one of those Styrofoam Coolers, a camp light, flashlight, and a caImp chair. Now a few years later I would end up adopting my first pup, which then became 3 pups and there was no looking back.

This pic is from 07 with my pups on a weekend getaway just outside of Mesa AZ

View attachment 231505
Thank you so much, will definitely go to my local walmart and start soon.

Reactions: Red_Leaf_Overland

Advocate I

Owen Sound, Ontario, Canada
First Name
James
Last Name
Girard
Member #

[/QUOTE]
Don't go too overboard with gear either. Start from the basics ( a place to sleep, a place to cook, a place to sit, water) and get out a few times. Build up on what you think you need from there. I have a ton of equipment that stays in my garage all the time because I thought it was a good idea when I bought it. Fora few years I slept in my vehicle, but it was tight, cold, and moisture builds up inside. Then for years I slept in a hammock, but sometimes tou want a little more privacy for changing, and a dry place to stand or sit in the rain. I'm getting back into a small ground tent with a sleeping pad and inflatable pillow.

All that said, when I pack to go solo, or meet up with friends, my whole sleep setup fits into a backpack, then I carry spare parts, tools, air system, and my cooler. They gets packed into my TJ along with about 10 gallons of gas.
received_453566918741934.jpeg
If I'm headed out with my wife and kid things get packs a little different, and we take my compass, with a trailer full of gear.20220523_111843.jpg
It's all situational. Where we go, what we bring, what vehicle we drive..... sorry for the long post lol

MMc

Rank V

Influencer II

San Dimas, Ca.
First Name
Mike
Last Name
McMullen
Member #

What is the proper rig is like asking what is the best girlfriend, depends on you.
I started riding in the back of VW bug with my parents. Going to national parks and Baja. I progressed through plenty of and cars and trucks. Everything is a trade off, like girlfriends. Shop Facebook for camping gear, get a waterproof tent not a house tent. Borrow gear from your friends you'll figure out what works for you, you don't need new to start. You may not like this way of life, maybe you'll find a guy who fully rigged himself out and decided it wasn't for him,

Last edited:

PCO6

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Newmarket, Ontario
First Name
Stew
Last Name
Beatty
Member #

... I have a ton of equipment that stays in my garage all the time because I thought it was a good idea when I bought it.
Same here. We need to organize a flea market. Years ago a bunch of us with extra British car parts in our garages did just that. It was 1978 and, notwithstanding COVID, it's been held every year since!

Babirdi

Rank II

Enthusiast II

First Name
Abdifatah
Last Name
Abdirahman
Don't go too overboard with gear either. Start from the basics ( a place to sleep, a place to cook, a place to sit, water) and get out a few times. Build up on what you think you need from there. I have a ton of equipment that stays in my garage all the time because I thought it was a good idea when I bought it. Fora few years I slept in my vehicle, but it was tight, cold, and moisture builds up inside. Then for years I slept in a hammock, but sometimes tou want a little more privacy for changing, and a dry place to stand or sit in the rain. I'm getting back into a small ground tent with a sleeping pad and inflatable pillow.

All that said, when I pack to go solo, or meet up with friends, my whole sleep setup fits into a backpack, then I carry spare parts, tools, air system, and my cooler. They gets packed into my TJ along with about 10 gallons of gas.
View attachment 231506
If I'm headed out with my wife and kid things get packs a little different, and we take my compass, with a trailer full of gear.View attachment 231507
It's all situational. Where we go, what we bring, what vehicle we drive..... sorry for the long post lol[/QUOTE]

No need to apologize, the post was well justified and also needed 10/10.
Thank you.

Reactions: Red_Leaf_Overland

Babirdi

Rank II

Enthusiast II

First Name
Abdifatah
Last Name
Abdirahman
What is the proper rig is like asking what is the best girlfriend, depends on you.
I started riding in the back of VW bug with my parents. going to national parks and Baja. I progress through plenty of and cars and trucks. Everything is a trade off, like girlfriends. Shop Facebook for camping gear, get a water proof tent not a house tent. Borrow gear from your friends you'll figure out what works for you, you don't need new to start. You may not like this way of life, maybe you'll find a guy who fully rigged himself out and decided it wasn't for him,
Well said, thank you.

Sparksalot

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Bastrop County, TX, USA
First Name
Rex
Last Name
Drake
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5GH
Service Branch
Air Force
$5,000 and lower
That’s going to be tough, but not impossible. I picked up one of my tahoes at auction for $4400. It was an ex K-9 unit, so missing a lot of interior pieces, but that works well if you’re looking at a seat delete and other modifications to go overlanding anyway.

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wernersville Public Library, North Reber Street, Wernersville, PA, USA
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
Hmmm, $5000 or lower. The very first vehicle that comes to my mind would be a Toyota RAV4 first generation. Dependable and open to slight modifications both interior and exterior. Lift it an inch or two for larger AT tires, baseline the mechanical stuff, fold the rear seats down, throw some gear in and go.

Reactions: zgfiredude