Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Clarksville Va
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Conner
Member #

wow i think i have the oddball rig for here.. my 500 dollar amigo with a rack on it. looking at a wallyworld small basket to bolt to it to stick things in. trying to figure out where i can get a front and rear bumpers fabricated. i have no welding experience. but that is down the road. figure i will crank the front bars up and inch or 1 1/ inches. and do a spring swap from a rodeo or a wrecked trooper if i can find one to raise the back an inch or two and get some aluminium (sp) pate and bang it into shape to make some thicker skid plates for under and find someone again who can weld up a pair of rock sliders for it for less then the ones i found online. 300 plus. its only got a four banger but it should be fine for most things. only want a winch because i dont know anyone in my area that goes out for anything other then hunting.
its old beat up and slow. but its got a soft top so that makes it worth the hassles. who cant like being topless right?
hope to have it out of the shop soon so i can actually drive it for the first time other then onto or off the trailer.
i will be watching this thread to see what i can come up with.
some cool ideas so far i have seen.

The other Sean

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Minneapolis
Member #

This is a very good topic for O.B. I have had this argument many times with a friend who spends to much on fancy name brand stuff on his Land Rover. I go all of the same places he does and I have gotten off a lot cheaper in my 2011 GMC Canyon. Only mods I have made were a $65 body lift from ruff country and $50 wheel spacers with decent tires. Stock my truck had horrible ground clearance but other than that it actually performed well off road. I got the body lift and an inch bigger tires to give a little clearance. I got the wheel spacers because I didn't want to pay for slide rails and the wheels come out just enough to protect the side of the truck. It seems to be easier coming up on steep inclines in narrow valleys with the tires sticking out past the side of the truck.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk
While not over anything that difficult, our last trip was WAY back in the woods to a remote lake. Plenty of mud, water holes and tree branches banging on the side of the truck on the way in. As we rounded the last corner to the lake? There was a Honda Oddesey parked and two ladies were camped and were out for a paddle. So... yea... its not always what vehicle and gear you have purchased....

MandAtaco

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Las Vegas, NV
Member #

Everyone has pretty much covered the basics here but I'll throw in a couple things. Pick a rig that is easy to get parts for, or one you have parts for already. I consider my truck fairly well equiped (IE heavy fat overbuilt LOL). One reason it has so many good parts on it was I was able to swap stuff from my already built 1st gen Tacoma to the 3rd gen 4Runner, they are basically the same platform. My wife and I had built the Tacoma when we were both working and before kids. We are now single income with 3 little ones. I would have loved to have an 80 series, but I honestly wouldn't have had the money to build it. By going to a 3rd gen, I already had everything I needed to build a pretty capable, reliable rig, just had to swap parts around.

My other suggestion, is to learn how to weld and build stuff. Instead of buying a swingout rear bumper at 2k+ I built my own for around $400. Yes you are going to need equipment, but think of it as an investment. I bought a welder, but between the rear bumper, muplitple sets of sliders, multiple roof racks, tabs, brackets, etc. that I have built for my rigs over the years, it has more than paid for itself. And you can further off set the cost of the equipment by helping your buddies out. Although my frineds usally only pay in pizza and beer. LOL.

Oh and craigslist is a great place to find good used equipment! I purchased a almost new $1000 Miller welder for $400. Speaking of craigslist, great place to find used truck parts. It took me 2 weeks, but I talked someone into selling me the ARB bumper off her 4Runner she was selling for $300 bucks!

Mogwai

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Member #

In this case Toyota Land Cruiser would likely be your choice... world wide likely the most common 4x4 but not a cheap solution while you still need to pay for parts and accessories. Nissan and Jeep have the LC beat in that market. The price gap really narrows when you can do your own fabrication.
Accept that you have to replace parts less on an LC, in general. I'm not saying they don't break and don't have their issues (each series does) but it's the only body on frame out there built on the premise of a 25yr service life never seeing pavement. Overbuilt. Then it's tested for longer than any other vehicle before it hits the market. 10yr cycles, not quick. . I guess you get what you pay for is what I'm saying. Yes I'm selling the LC and not trying to discount others, it's just a minor obsession and I'm a "value" guy and following this thread would imply others might be as well.

KD7WCD

Rank VI
Founder 500
Investor

Influencer I

Tempe, AZ, USA
First Name
Jayson
Last Name
Adamsen
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD7WCD
How do you feel about Harbor Freight? I know there is a lot of opinion (Especially around Bandland winches) but I have not actually heard anyone who has had one speak badly. There is also the question previously posted about baskets. Anyone use their blocks? Too great of a risk or worth having if one couldn't afford the name brand equipment?
I deal with a lot of rigging at work and we do a lot of overhead rigging that has to be right and trusted. While I might by a tool box or a cheap set of screw drivers from Harbor Freight, I would never buy anything like a blocks, straps or shackle type of gear from them. Only domestic when it comes to something that I have to put under such forces that could kill someone. When rigging goes bad it usually leads to a really bad day!

IMG_20150516_123113844.jpg

CalTexMex

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Fremont, Ca
Member #

I'm with BoldAdeventure on this one. Learn how to drive your stock vehicle before trying to go big on the mods. I started out with an LX450 (Lexus version of the land cruiser). Only had 1" spacers and sliders added to the vehicle. Did Death Valley, Mendocino and other trails with no problem, but I sure did drag her belly a lot! Lucky enough to have the one with front/rear lockers, making it very capable off road. Went to my current LC and built it for both rocks and overlanding. Learning how to max out a stock vehicle def sets you up for a built one. Driving finesse vs skinny pedal will do your truck wonders. Add as you go the things you need, not want. Didn't need a 21" light bar until I got caught going up bald mountain At night with stock headlights. Not fun! Now I'm building my own sleeping platform vs a RTT. Cheap and easily less than $100, with the xtra money going to the adventure fund! Always find good folks to go with (like OB) and you will always have folks willing to lend a hand, give a spot or provide tips for your rig. Cheers!

Reactions: 1derer and KD7WCD

KD7WCD

Rank VI
Founder 500
Investor

Influencer I

Tempe, AZ, USA
First Name
Jayson
Last Name
Adamsen
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD7WCD
wow i think i have the oddball rig for here.. my 500 dollar amigo with a rack on it. looking at a wallyworld small basket to bolt to it to stick things in. trying to figure out where i can get a front and rear bumpers fabricated. i have no welding experience. but that is down the road. figure i will crank the front bars up and inch or 1 1/ inches. and do a spring swap from a rodeo or a wrecked trooper if i can find one to raise the back an inch or two and get some aluminium (sp) pate and bang it into shape to make some thicker skid plates for under and find someone again who can weld up a pair of rock sliders for it for less then the ones i found online. 300 plus. its only got a four banger but it should be fine for most things. only want a winch because i dont know anyone in my area that goes out for anything other then hunting.
its old beat up and slow. but its got a soft top so that makes it worth the hassles. who cant like being topless right?
hope to have it out of the shop soon so i can actually drive it for the first time other then onto or off the trailer.
i will be watching this thread to see what i can come up with.
some cool ideas so far i have seen.
Awesome. I always wanted an Amigo. Can't wait to see some pictures. [emoji6][emoji106]

Sent from my XT1650 using OB Talk mobile app

Craig Cooper

Rank V

Advocate III

1083 Paha Packard Road, Ritzville, Washington 99169, United States
First Name
Craig
Last Name
Cooper
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
ki7aan
IMG_2611.JPG Great topic. I must say, I didn't choose a 93 Grand Cherokee because it looks good, I bought it because it's cheap, not bad out of the box, and you can't swing a dead cat with out finding a parts one. Worst thing is figuring out which one is yours in a parking lot. After owning 3 of them, I think I've perfected the formula of function with out breaking the bank. Most expensive thing on my jeep besides wheels and tires is the winch. Everything else came from eBay, amazon or craigslist. you mentioned dual batteries, for my solinoid, I used a constant duty plow solinoid, cheap and works awesome.

DesertWalker

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Cave Creek, AZ
Member #

View attachment 33989 Great topic. I must say, I didn't choose a 93 Grand Cherokee because it looks good, I bought it because it's cheap, not bad out of the box, and you can't swing a dead cat with out finding a parts one. Worst thing is figuring out which one is yours in a parking lot. After owning 3 of them, I think I've perfected the formula of function with out breaking the bank. Most expensive thing on my jeep besides wheels and tires is the winch. Everything else came from eBay, amazon or craigslist. you mentioned dual batteries, for my solinoid, I used a constant duty plow solinoid, cheap and works awesome.
How easy is it to work on? I was pretty set on getting a 1st or 3rd gen 4Runner, but these are cheaper and like you said they are everywhere. Been watching a lot of Dirt Every Day too which you can't fight getting in a Jeep state of mind.

Reactions: Craig Cooper

Craig Cooper

Rank V

Advocate III

First Name
Craig
Last Name
Cooper
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
ki7aan
Not bad, I'm partial to the 93's. I'm asked this so much I'm thinking of making a buyers guide check list lol.
1. 4.0 6-cylinder. Stay away from the V-8
2. Part time 231j transfer case. Shifter will say 2h, 4h, 4l.
3. Check that all doors open and close by using inside and outside door handles.
4. Check that windows all go up and down.
5. Engine may rattle, they all do a bit, mines rattled for the last 75k
6. Stay away from sun roofs, never seen one that worked and didn't leak.
7. Buy a cubby for a 2wd and replace the none working Vehicle Information Center, or build a switch panel for there.
8. Take your time, when I went shopping for my current one, there were 7 93's in Spokane for sale, I looked at each one until I could check all my boxes.
9. Try to not be tempted by $100 lift kits, my Rough Country was $399 with arms, shocks and new front springs and works well. With 3.5", they drive good at freeway speeds, pulls my off-road trailer good, clear 31's, drivelines still work and are still good with no gear swap.
10. Enjoy your comfy, roomy, cheap overlander, I've got 240k on mine, my last one went to 516k.
FYI, I love to talk about these.

DesertWalker

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Cave Creek, AZ
Member #

Not bad, I'm partial to the 93's. I'm asked this so much I'm thinking of making a buyers guide check list lol.
3. Check that all doors open and close by using inside and outside door handles.
7. Buy a cubby for a 2wd and replace the none working Vehicle Information Center, or build a switch panel for there.
8. Take your time, when I went shopping for my current one, there were 7 93's in Spokane for sale, I looked at each one until I could check all my boxes.
9. Try to not be tempted by $100 lift kits, my Rough Country was $399 with arms, shocks and new front springs and works well. With 3.5", they drive good at freeway speeds, pulls my off-road trailer good, clear 31's, drivelines still work and are still good with no gear swap.
10. Enjoy your comfy, roomy, cheap overlander, I've got 240k on mine, my last one went to 516k.
Thanks for the info. Is it your daily as well?

Craig Cooper

Rank V

Advocate III

First Name
Craig
Last Name
Cooper
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
ki7aan
Thanks for the info. Is it your daily as well?

Yup, sure is. Tomorrow I'm taking the family on a 45mi off-road loop across some mountain tops. Then Sunday, a 550mi round trip run to my hunting camp to check my game cameras. I drive it a lot. My company gives me a pickup to drive and I leave it at work and drive either this Jeep or my cj3a.

DesertWalker

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Cave Creek, AZ
Member #

Yup, sure is. Tomorrow I'm taking the family on a 45mi off-road loop across some mountain tops. Then Sunday, a 550mi round trip run to my hunting camp to check my game cameras. I drive it a lot. My company gives me a pickup to drive and I leave it at work and drive either this Jeep or my cj3a.
Cool. My first car was a 86 CJ7. I loved it, but it would cut out when I was driving down the road. Some times it would take 5 min to get it started again, a couple times it took 2 days to get started. It also had a few teeth missing from the flywheel, so I often had to pop the clutch to turn it over. Had to sell it before to long. This time around no matter what 4x4 I end up with, I am going to learn how to work on it to keep it reliable.

Reactions: Jimmy P

Northernlady

Rank V
Investor

Trail Blazer III

Prince George, British Columbia, Canada
First Name
Karen
Last Name
Roberts
Member #

I am going to jump in here and say that the one area that I am NOT doing on the cheap is safety equipment. Quality recovery equipment (as a former owner of a towing company I know a slightly rough looking recovery strap can fail at the worst possible time...don't be cheap, replace them when they look the least bit worn!). Invest in a good medical kit (not just an off the rack first aid kit) and get some good communication devices!

Craig Cooper

Rank V

Advocate III

First Name
Craig
Last Name
Cooper
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
ki7aan
Totally correct. Safety is always first. Being a first responder/firefighter vehicle safety always weighs heavy on my mind. I only buy Warn winches, never had a problem yet. Like I said, one of the most expensive items on my rig, quality where it counts. My 2m/440 ham radio cost as much as the jeep, and I back that up with a cb. Recovery gear should never be cheap, just say no to Harbor Freight in this department. I would guess my straps, clevis's and snatch blocks all together cost more than the winch. I have a hot pink set of TRED traction boards, why pink? They were on clearance because nobody wanted them, I paid $59 brand new. But having a secure place to store the gear is a must as well. I once went to a rollover wreck where the passenger got a cracked skull from a crescent wrench that was loose in a cab. Always plan wisely.

Northernlady

Rank V
Investor

Trail Blazer III

Prince George, British Columbia, Canada
First Name
Karen
Last Name
Roberts
Member #

Totally correct. Safety is always first. Being a first responder/firefighter vehicle safety always weighs heavy on my mind. I only buy Warn winches, never had a problem yet. Like I said, one of the most expensive items on my rig, quality where it counts. My 2m/440 ham radio cost as much as the jeep, and I back that up with a cb. Recovery gear should never be cheap, just say no to Harbor Freight in this department. I would guess my straps, clevis's and snatch blocks all together cost more than the winch. I have a hot pink set of TRED traction boards, why pink? They were on clearance because nobody wanted them, I paid $59 brand new. But having a secure place to store the gear is a must as well. I once went to a rollover wreck where the passenger got a cracked skull from a crescent wrench that was loose in a cab. Always plan wisely.
I would love to find a set of pink traction boards!! I am saving for a good winch and hopefully will find one on sale. I am also researching good CBs and have my eye on an InReach device. I will have all this in place before even considering a lift kit, sliders etc.

Last edited:

Mikeyleigh

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Clarksville Va
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Conner
Member #

i put tie down loops in the back of the amigo. have four of them so i can put a stretch net and straps to hold gear still. someone liberated my triage kit so i have to troll through some surplus stores and get another one. right now recovery for me is two 15 ft 6 ton hand come alongs one 20 foot recovery strap. and two short 5 ton lifting straps for around trees. till i can figure out how and who to build a winch bumper for me and i get done with the design for it. now all i have to do is get time to get to a riggers loft and get some good clevis's till i get a bumper done. that might be a good while. and i am looking for a snatch strap for easier pulls too but havent found one on the cheap yet.

DesertWalker

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Cave Creek, AZ
Member #

Well I just found out that the XJ isn't long enough for me to sleep inside. I'm 6' and according to a few videos I watched if you take the rear seat out completely and move the passenger seat all the way forward you might be able to get 6' of room. That kind of sucks. Price is still a big plus, so I am still considering one. Any particular reason you like the 93 over other years?

aearles

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

USA
Would that include the Baofang baofeng uv-5r as a HT? Damn good for $25 ditch the rubber duck or exterior mount key into repeaters (Provided licensed to do so).
I'd vote NO on that one. They're handy as loaner/beater radios or for getting started, but I've had too many fail to want to actually rely on one. Get it wet or drop it, and there's a good chance you're done transmitting, plus the battery doesn't last long but there are some workarounds for that limitation.