Getting around f150 ecoboost limitations in remote/challenging environments?

• HTML tutorial

BigH2OChief

Rank V

Enthusiast III

Carmel Mountain Ranch, San Diego, CA, USA
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Woody
Member #

Service Branch
US Army / US Navy
First Newb post/question...

As much as I love my 15’ f150 ecoboost (MPG is bomb!) I’ve realized the intercooler presents mechanical constraints for mounting recovery gear -- particularly a winch. By any chance are there any others here who have figured out a work around or recovery solution which does not include re-locating the intercooler? I realize winch use is situation dependent, but in my lifetime I’ve find myself in ‘that situation’ three times. Ttwice someone else needed help and once myself. Thoughts, suggestions or a azimuth to reference material are greatly appreciated.

Best- MW

Catzuk

Rank III
Investor

Enthusiast I

Pueblo West, CO
First Name
David
Last Name
Ward
Member #

There are a few companies that address that issue. This is one
https://www.stage3motorsports.com/2011-2014-F150-EcoBoost-Off-Road-Bumpers.html

Warn and and ARB are developing bumpers for the f150 eco as well.
What I have built in the past for similar issues on customers trucks, was a simple hitch and a portable winch cradle. Then they could remove it for highway and store it in the bed of truck, use it in the rear factory receiver for rear pulls and in front for front pulls. I always suggest using winch rope over cable rope for weight reasons. Can get heavy depending on winch selected.

Jason Jackson

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

El Reno, Oklahoma, USA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Jackson
Member #

I have a 2011 with the ecoboost as well - did you ever make a choice in a bumper? I have been thinking of moving the intercooler....

Whiteout

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Huntsville, AL
First Name
Devin
Last Name
Kudlas
Member #

First Newb post/question...

As much as I love my 15’ f150 ecoboost (MPG is bomb!) I’ve realized the intercooler presents mechanical constraints for mounting recovery gear -- particularly a winch. By any chance are there any others here who have figured out a work around or recovery solution which does not include re-locating the intercooler? I realize winch use is situation dependent, but in my lifetime I’ve find myself in ‘that situation’ three times. Ttwice someone else needed help and once myself. Thoughts, suggestions or a azimuth to reference material are greatly appreciated.

Best- MW
Check out these guys. https://www.full-race.com/store/ecoboost/f150-raptor-gen2-ecoboost-2017/2015-f-150-ecoboost-freakoboost-intercooler-cac-upgrade-kit/ ...When I save up my beans I'm getting one.

Reactions: Desert Runner

Traveler I

I have had the same problem as well. However, thinking about where the license plate is located on the 2016 F150 the intercooler is already blocked ( downside to living in a province that requires a front plate) so what is the difference in putting the Warn HDX bush bar with winch tray?

Desert Runner

Rank VII
Launch Member

Expedition Master III

Southern Nevada
First Name
Jerold
Last Name
F.
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
/GMRS=WREA307
I have had the same problem as well. However, thinking about where the license plate is located on the 2016 F150 the intercooler is already blocked ( downside to living in a province that requires a front plate) so what is the difference in putting the Warn HDX bush bar with winch tray?
Bull Bar Bumpers like the ARB, HAVE A DESIGNED IN .....cooling channel behind where a license plate is mounted. A plate will block about half of the area, but still allow air flow. You can also get a plate farm that snaps into a roller fairlead.

I live in the desert. And I bought the ARB for my 2003 Duramax. I did a review, and followups on it on Amazon. Basically I saw no adverse affects on mileage and more importantly.....overheating. my temps stayed consistent like before the install.

PS:.....(follow up)........The Silverado plate position is ARB's standard plate mounting area. That open channel behind it allows air to reach the inter-gooler and lower radiator area. The state plate position on the fair-lead is a removable piece to stay compliant with state law, by a roller clips backing plate when the winch is needed.
20181107_090355.jpege 20170209_123639.jpeg

Last edited:

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
Put the winch in the rear bumper.

You're using it to get unstuck, not to winch up a mountain, right?

I dont recall ever needing to winch forward only, ever, in a camping oriented truck. Winching backwards would have unstuck me all the same. And less shoveling.

Wheeling my Jeep yj? Sure. Winched up hills it couldnt climb. Truck? Nope.

I would miss it only for winching chainsawed trees. (Making up words today) But you can still drag trees with a chain. No big deal there.

It's lame that Fords intercooler isnt just a core ahead of the radiator like in a semi truck. Theres tons of room, it doesnt need to be low mounted like a sports car's.

Wouldn't this intercooler do the trick and allow any decent bumper to fit?:

Last edited: