Getting a Truck! - Which one to buy?

• HTML tutorial

AdvNerd

Rank IV
Launch Member

Traveler III

Austin, TX
Hey Everyone! So here's the thing, I bought a Forester about 8 months ago and it's been a headache since day one. I bought it used with 60k miles, just outside of warranty, it's a 2014 and well worn in. Without ranting, it's at the point that I just want out of it. I bought it knowing it was going to hold me over until I got a truck, but I thought that would be in 2-3 years, not 8 months. Anyway, I'm gonna take the hit, get out of the loan and jump into my "forever rig".

I want something that I can have for the next 5-6 years if not longer. I put on about 30k miles per year. I have been looking at a New or Used 3rd Gen Tacoma but I am open to other options. The seats aren't super comfortable in the Tacoma but it checks all my other boxes. I had surgery on my tailbone (lower back) and it hurts after sitting for a long time so seats are important. I may just have to have some custom work done on the seat cushions if I get a Tacoma.

I'm also considering a Colorado, but I have seen very few overland builds on them.

Here's my "must" list:

Budget: $30-35k
New or Used with Low Miles
Crew Cab
- Enough room for 2 people and 2 dogs
Factory Warranty - Because I've been nickel and dimed on cars and just want the piece of mind
Moonroof - Would be awesome, but very hard to find on Tacos and Colorados
Mileage - Hopefully better than 20 on the highway (stock, I know I will drop with mods)
Large Aftermarket - I had a Hummer H3 but it was near impossible to find aftermarket parts

I want a truck because it leaves me the option of adding an AT Habitat later, I want to have this vehicle for a long time and I can build it out the way I want.

I'm open to a full size but slightly concerned on the fuel economy but LOVE the extra comfort and room. The RAM Ecodiesel stands out but I read about reliability issues at around 130k miles. The Nissan Frontier is also in my budget and offers a moonroof but there's very little aftermarket and it's basically a 13-year-old truck and will depreciate like a rock.

So yeah, just thought I would post and bounce some ideas around and see what everyone comes up with. I'm hoping to get into something by mid-July since the AC on the Forester is "working fine" and Austin Texas is freaking hot.

Dimitriy Shames

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

South Florida
Member #

Hey bud,

Two years ago I purchased an white access cab Tacoma SR5 and fell in love with it.

So much that I ended up trading it in for a double cab TRD Sport.

The Toyota community is huge when it comes to support, mods, overlanding and everything inbetween.

I went with the sport in particular because I loved the color matched panels and the sunroof (had to have one).

I personally hate leather seats and was happy with the Tacoma’s cloth seats. I live in South Florida and drove in a single shot to NY to see family (15 hour drive) and I didn’t feel sore at all from the drive.

But I hear you on that, I would definitely recommend the TRD Sport for you or possibly the Limited model for their more comfortable leather seats.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Ralph Keith

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Folsom, CA
Member #

I waited until the new models came out this year to make a decision. I was up in the air about full or mid-size. As a daily driver that sometimes takes me to large cities, I wanted something that would be easy to get around and park. After driving various full-size trucks my choices were narrowed to Toyota, Chevy/GMC or a Jeep. I really wanted the new Jeep Rubicon - but the prices were way out of my range.

That left the Tacoma vs Chevy/GMC. Drove both and decided on a 2018 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off-Road. As Dimitriy said the Toyota community is very large. Tacomaworld has be a big resource for upgrades.

I prefer the 3rd generation styling and upgrades and found that 2016's in good shape weren't much cheaper than new. Mine came with lots of bells and whistles, a few I could do without, and an MSRP of $39k. Was able to discount to $37k. I've installed a roof rack with paddleboard and kayak carriers which did impact my MPG, I still average around 21 on the freeway 65-70 mph. I didn't with the sport because I wanted the crawl control feature ( I know, I know....the purists will poopoo it).

Good luck in your search!

Attachments

Lindenwood

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

New Mexico
First Name
Jay
Last Name
M
Member #

It's tough to beat the Taco, though the Colorado seems to be giving it a run.

You can always add seat padding or even swap seats entirely, if you really needed to.

Smileyshaun

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Happy Valley, OR, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Hoffman
Member #

little food for thought. a full size loaded down with camping/exploring gear will probably not take a hit on mileage, a mid size loaded down will be noticeable. do you plan on towing anything down the road ? future plan for kids ? sounds like it's something you want to keep for a long time so make sure to have it adaptable to your entire life not just traveling offroad .

Reactions: Ralph Keith

AdvNerd

Rank IV
Launch Member

Traveler III

Austin, TX
Awesome thanks for the replies.

I don't even have a girlfriend right now so it feels strange to "plan for kiddos", but when you plan on having a car for 6 years...I guess you gotta think ahead:sweatsmile: But yeah that's actually why I want a truck and a habitat, room, and comfort for me and up to 3 more humans plus dog (I know that's tight in a Taco). No plans on towing, but leaving open the option for a full camper buildout over time. I went to school for Aerospace engineering so I enjoy the challenge of working within weight limits.

I'm going to get out and go for some test drives. I should drive a full size too just to know what I'm missing.

I've had good luck at negotiating car prices in the past. This is going to come down to what I can get for my trade and how much I have to bail myself out from my previous loan.

Last edited:

James Deaton

Rank V

Pathfinder I

I wouldn’t touch a Colorado with a ten foot pole. We had one at the shop a fee months ago eith vey few miles on it, and it was literally falling apart as we drove it around the lot... e brake handle came off in my hand, door panels loose, drivetrain rattles, and various other missing trim pieces.

Regarding getting rid of your current car: the absolute best way to get the most money is to sell it outright. Trade-ins won’t get you as much as a private sale. If money is what you are after, then sell privately. If you don’t want any headaches, trade it in. There are pros and cons to both options.

Not sure why you ruled out Fords, but I am a super happy 2006 F150 quad cab owner... granted I have a wife and 3 kids, so we wanted the room of a fullsize. I had a near new 2006 GMC Sierra quad cab Duramax diesel yeara ago, and never again... it was constantly breaking in hundred dollar bills... money pit. Was so happy to be done with it...

The Tacomas are nice, but as soon as kids start popping out you will outgrow them...

I suppose if you keep it long enough you can go full circle. We bought our 2002 Mitsubishi Lancer brand new, because we needed more room for our new baby (the Eclipse wasn’t going to cut it) and are still driving it with 254k miles on it. Now after 16 years my oldest has her own car, and all 5 of us don’t ride together in the Lancer anymore, so once again it fits us perfectly... lol

James

obrianmcc

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Idaho
First Name
Mike
Last Name
McCrosky
Member #

I bought my PRO4 Frontier new in 14' and so far it has been a solid truck ... I do agree about the aftermarket.... I wish there were more options, but the truck has been a solid performer and reliable. Yes, the current model has been around a few years and probably due for an update, but it is still holding it's own. (and for the record I am a Toyota fan)

Reactions: bawesomfels

chuckoverland

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler II

Spokane, WA
Member #

We traded in our '14 jetta and toyota cut us a check, we used a small fraction of that to lease an '18 Taco. The rest is sitting in davings which we add to monthly so when 3 years is up and we go to buy it we will be able to make a down payment big enough where we will only owe a bit over 10k, saving alot on interest, and these new Tacos hold their value well. A big investment but a nice asset to have around.

Ben Cleveland

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Nashville, TN, USA
First Name
Ben
Last Name
Cleveland
Member #

I had a 2010 double cab long bed tacoma. I loved my truck. It was going to be my forever truck. BUT. Its me, my wife, 2 dogs, and we had a baby last year. We outgrew the tacoma. As much as I ADORE the tacoma platform, I would never consider it again unless I thought I was going to be solo indefinitely, or MAYBE have 1 person with me MAX on a trip. No pets.

I've ALWAYS been a truck guy, but I've actually grown to much more enjoy the midsize SUV (4th gen 4runner). Its nice not worrying about stuff in the bed being secure and safe from weather. The SUV is, in my opinion, the most family friendly option.

If I had to do it all over again, I'd jump straight to a short bed Tundra with 4x4 and a rear locker. I love my 4runner, its not perfect, but it is good enough for me to not change it unless it gets totalled at some point down the road (I hope not!) . I LOVE the ease from driving around a midsize SUV or truck vs full size. But, now that my vehicle is becoming the built, dedicated overland/camping/offroad vehicle, I'm sort of regretting a few things:
1) v8 is better than v6. It just is. That's the type of thing that's easy to discount when thinking about it, but when you choose the v6, you think about the v8 that you passed up every time you get in the vehicle.
2) The midsize feels every ounce and inch that's added to it. Both in weight, and overall stability.
3) A fullsize crewcab truck offers: more gear mounting options in the bed (without huge investment in bumpers), solves interior space issues, has less tire fitment issues on larger sizes compared to a midsize, has heavier axles that I would never have to worry about for the type of stuff I do, and has more power from the factory V8.
4) 4x4 is a non-negotiable. If I had known what I know now, I'd include a factory rear locker in the "non-negotiable" category. I'll probably never need a locker enough to upgrade to ARB air lockers, but I know I'll quickly reach the point where I occasionally wish I had a factory locker. Its a valuable addition to a 4x4 if you're doing difficult, off camber terrain.

OnlyTaco

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Castro Valley CA
Member #

I have a 2017 Tacoma OR in manual. And that last part is key. My buddy has a similar truck but with Auto. The Tacoma’s 3.5L with that auto is just horrible. There are after market options that do help it quite a bit, so keep that in mind.

Do you know if you’ll off-road it often? If you do then just forget about the Sport or Limited model. They are both priced similarly to the OR but they have the same suspension as the SR5. No rear locker. They do have better exterior trims (for some folks) like matching fenders and that sport hood. They also offer the moonroof if that is important for you.

As for gas mileage, these things are not far off from the full size rigs. Those new engines are quite good under normal use.

36degreesNorth

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Knoxville, TN, USA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Sabens
While not as big of an aftermarket as the Tacomas the Frontiers are solid trucks. Plus they are cheep because they are old this gen came out in 05. So they might not have the latest and greatest tech they do work. That and mid travel suspensions kits are cheep because they can use all the titan parts.

chuckoverland

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler II

Spokane, WA
Member #

I have a 2017 Tacoma OR in manual. And that last part is key. My buddy has a similar truck but with Auto. The Tacoma’s 3.5L with that auto is just horrible. There are after market options that do help it quite a bit, so keep that in mind.

Do you know if you’ll off-road it often? If you do then just forget about the Sport or Limited model. They are both priced similarly to the OR but they have the same suspension as the SR5. No rear locker. They do have better exterior trims (for some folks) like matching fenders and that sport hood. They also offer the moonroof if that is important for you.

As for gas mileage, these things are not far off from the full size rigs. Those new engines are quite good under normal use.
Plus the sport has a little spoiler under the front bumper that decreases approach angle.
We have no issues with our auto trans.

James Deaton

Rank V

Pathfinder I

I know I chimed in earlier, but a litte more food for thought...

The full size option is the way to go in my opinion. Way more room, bigger payload and towing capacity, but most of all, way more room :)

With that being said, I’ve become a gigantic fan of the V8s in the full sized rigs (Ford Triton V8s for me). They are simple (no turbos or weird things to go wrong a few years from now (or in the middle of nowhere), they get about the same gas mileage as a V6, and have way more useable power on the road (especially when loaded)...

I too am a fan of cloth seats in vehicles to avoid sticky back and legs, and the constant temperature battle of leather... I realize the new stuff has seat heaters and coolers, but that is more stuff to go wrong that I will have to fix (or pay to fix if I can’t figure it out)...

James

James Deaton

Rank V

Pathfinder I

So if you’re already pinstriping a midsize, then what is the difference? :) May as well have the comfort and power of the full size, with the pinstripe package!

(Plus the OP mentioned a full size, so I was kinda addressing him) :):):)

James

OnlyTaco

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Castro Valley CA
Member #

Kind of depends on the OP's needs. I've been on a few trails where a full size wouldn't have any hope on making it through without some major chainsaw action. Having a mid-size short wheel base vehicle does wonder on a lot of trails. If OP doesn't really need that however, then the full size make a lot of sense.

Cpol

Rank IX
Launch Member

World Traveler III

Jackson Heights, Queens, NY, USA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Pol
Member #

7E3D424A-E472-4130-9216-C94AB7941E77.jpeg 4B51E90A-026F-4DEE-A444-D11DE3F76FC9.jpeg

We are three...
My duaghter is still 8 she can still lay across on the second cab. We got the Cvt tent with the annex. Iam a firm believer that this truck is ment to last. The trd pro is an amazing truck.. just avoid all the extra stuff considering you going to replace a lot of it.. don’t get the manufacture rack. The bed extenders. The side step. The bed divider.. you have just saved over 2000...