Enthusiast III

North York, Toronto, ON, Canada
First Name
Stephen
Last Name
Phillips
Member #

Good afternoon all,

im supposed to be headed to the Georgia traverse next week and the week after. An advise out there on the conditions of the trails, water crossings with the rainfall that has occurred?
Thanks

Adventure2Destinatuon

Rank II
Launch Member

Member I

Brunswick, GA, USA
First Name
Taylor
Last Name
Liles
Member #

Good evening,

Did it last year with less rain and the water crossing were not high at all. I'd use caution going into them since most of the rivers are still high in North Georgia. A lifted vehicle should have no problem even with all the rain.

jazzy13

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Newport, RI, USA
First Name
Jon
Last Name
Azbill
Member #

Good afternoon all,

im supposed to be headed to the Georgia traverse next week and the week after. An advise out there on the conditions of the trails, water crossings with the rainfall that has occurred?
Thanks
Did you complete the entire trail and how was it with all the rain?

DammOverland

Rank 0

Contributor I

North Augusta, SC, USA
First Name
Lee
Last Name
Dammon
I was hoping to do the Traverse next week because I was told by some folks in a few facebook groups that the trails were awesome right now, but with the virus all of the towns along the way are asking everyone to stay away. Apparently too many people trashed the trailheads and stripped the store shelves in the last few weeks.

LittleOverlander

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Georgia
First Name
Zachary
Last Name
Russell
Member #

@White Knight Overland I was following this but did you start your trip from Texas in Georgia? I was originally seeing what people thought of the traverse but definitely don't mind hearing about Texas Trails! Will look it up.

@DammOverland I don't know personally about North Georgia, but parks/walking trails had people flood the past few weeks during social distancing, even when parks and trails were closed. It is definitely not people that normally go on trails either I think since they were removing roadblocks to closed areas etc. I'd like to think normally people are good in Georgia, but I think just a bunch of cabin-fevered people...

Reactions: DammOverland

White Knight Overland

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

North York, Toronto, ON, Canada
First Name
Stephen
Last Name
Phillips
Member #

Originally georgia was the plan but two days before leaving the weather drastically changed so did our plan. That is how we ended up in texas to escape the rain.
The Texas trail was awesome. I figure we covered 300 to 400 miles of the trail. We started just south of Waco Texas and drove most of the trail to Big Bend State Park. The trail is a combination of ranch dirt roads and tarmac. The dirt roads are in amongst the ranches. Roads really only ranch hands use. You end up driving through ranches over cattle grates and passing through gates. Crossing rivers dogging cows. It was a great time. We down loaded the map from OB site and used Gaia as out map system. Worked perfectly.

Reactions: Pathkiller and JKel

Stormcrow

Rank IV

Traveler III

Houston, TX
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Bleakley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG5DSB
For those that have done the Traverse, what’s the best time of year to do it?